Education: 504 and IEP Accomodations

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Education: 504 and IEP Accomodations

Post by temporal1 »

504 and IEP Accomodations
i was just reading a little more about the “educational version of munchausen by proxy” abuse phenomena.
Evidently, it’s increasing.

RAPACIOUS LEARNING
Advice for educators from Wendy Parker, Executive Director of Special Services for Cedar Rapids Schools
rapaciouslearning.org / Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy: Special Education Style

https://rapaciouslearning.org/munchause ... ion-style/
temporal1 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:31 pm
temporal1 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:39 pm Thanks.
i don’t consider 504 or IEP accomodations as preferential, or biased. They are necessary, not to mention, required by law.
Ken:
They are often abused as well.
“They” the students, or, “they” the accomodations/laws?
i would guess the students, and, more+more the laws, as parents misunderstand the purpose, and exploit perceived benefits (?)
Ken:
Every teacher has kids who have SpEd designation or a 504 plan that is based on some evaluation back when they were in say 3rd grade and were struggling for some reason. And it has followed them for years into HS.

Often it is helicopter parents who demand all sorts of special accommodation for what is an ordinary kid who has learned to be a slacker. I find that annoying.

The parents are often wealthy and overly indulgent and coddle their kids instead of teaching them to work hard and be responsible for what they do.

It is kind of the educational version of munchausen by proxy.
Once a kid gets a SpEd designation it is impossible to remove it unless there is consensus all across the board between parents, teachers, counselors and administrators.

At the same time you also have kids (often poor kids, in foster care, etc.) who clearly have learning disabilities that the system has never identified because they have slipped through the cracks. And who just sort of drift along being unsuccessful and frustrated in school without getting the accommodations that they might need.
hmm. Educational Munchausen by Proxy. This gets serious.
i’ve only read about severe medical cases; that, like numerous disorders, it’s hard to identify, it’s really creepy.
and, of course, destructive. It’s sorrowful. It can involve narcissism and the dark triad.

Heavy stuff.
.. Munchausen syndrome (also known as factitious disorder) is a rare type of mental disorder in which a person fakes illness.
The person may lie about symptoms, make themselves appear sick, or make themselves purposely unwell. ..
- - - - - - -
Can narcissists have Munchausen syndrome?
Perhaps one of the most insidious and most dangerous of all the behavior a narcissist can exhibit is Munchausen by proxy syndrome.
This crime includes the narcissist causing or making up illnesses and injuries in their children.
They do this to appear as the victim and hero in other people's eyes (Vaknin, 2015). ..

Pray for wisdom of school psychologists who oversee these programs and students. Pray for students.
Very hard to treat, the afflicted can be manipulative, in denial, refuse help.

The more intelligent, the more manipulative, the more dangerous.

[This topic can include discussion of when 504 and/or IEP accomodations are necessary+authentic.]

i’m new to the ideas of abuse of these programs.
But not surprised. Too much of the world’s culture is dedicated to coveting and taking. Is this the first morality to erode after abandoning or rejecting scriptures?
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Education: 504 and IEP Accomodations

Post by Ken »

It is the latest version of helicopter parenting and similar to the parents who hold back their boys in kindergarten so they will be a year older and better in sports when they reach HS (which yes, is a real thing in states like Texas).

Most SpEd and 504 designations are merited. And many more kids should have such designations but slip through the cracks because they don’t have functional parents to advocate for them.

But there are a small minority of parents who have discovered that it is possible to get 504 or SpEd accommodations that allow for things like extra time on tests (and even open-note tests) which can be a way to boost GPA and boost SAT scores for college admissions.

SAT test accommodations for 504 and SpEd kiddos: https://accommodations.collegeboard.org ... h-test/sat

I have had parents vociferously oppose the recommendations of counselors and teachers to withdraw a student from SpEd services. It puzzled me because who wants their kid labeled as SpEd when it isn’t merited. Then I eventually figured it out. And once a kid is in SpEd they stay in SpEd unless their committee (parent, teachers, counselors, and administrators) all unanimously agree to it. The school can’t just do it on their own.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Just last week i read of parents demanding accomodations to the point of refusing tutors, to literally withhold their students from normal healthy learning, with the premeditated plan to use IEP for college entry AND throughout college.

In my mind, this is where Munchhausen by Proxy factors in, i.e., intentional sabotaging of a child for perceived gain.
How insulting and demoralizing to the child.

What must happen to a child’s brain in such circumstances? They must feel as tho they are going insane.
This strikes me as well beyond helicopter parenting.

It becomes evermore bizarre to me how whatever gov attempts to do to help a specific problem, there are soon those who appear to appropriate those rewards or benefits no matter what is required for them to qualify. It happens again+again.

How can success be recognized and rewarded, formerly the unquestioned goal of formal education, while accomodating special needs, without creating a contest for “biggest loser?”

i’m losing confidence in gov’s ability to “not make everything worse.”

Creating competitions for rewards for (failure) is not healthy. It’s crippling. Good intentions gone wrong.
Last edited by temporal1 on Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Especially due to former discussions on MD, i have since refrained from referring to children/teens as kids/kiddos.
i now believe it’s more respectful to them to be called children, teens, students, young people, etc.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

i had little idea:
People also ask
Is helicopter parenting healthy?
What is helicopter parenting and why is it bad?
What is considered helicopter parenting?
What is a lighthouse parent?
What is a lawnmower parent?
What are the 4 types of parenting styles?
What is a bulldozer mom?
What is the best parenting style?
What is Tiger style parenting?
What is Panda parenting?
What is ostrich parenting?
What is a hummingbird parent?
What is a dolphin mom?
What is a jellyfish mom?
What is a Kanga mom?
What is French parenting?
What is Snowplow parenting?
What is Lion style parenting?
What is koala bear parenting?
What are curling parents?
What is a silky mom?
What is bird nest parenting? .. ..
What is parallel parenting?
What is divorce nesting?
What is platonic co-parenting?
What is the least effective parenting style?
What is the least common parenting style?
What is the least strict parenting style?
Are narcissists helicopter parents?
What happens to kids of helicopter moms?
Why is it called Tiger parenting?
Why do people become helicopter parents?
What are the cons of helicopter mom?
What is the opposite of helicopter parenting?

https://www.google.com/search?q=helicop ... e&ie=UTF-8
0 x

UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Parents who do this end up doing horrible things to their children. I can tell you stories (of multiple, unrelated people, too) where parents decided they had some kind of mental disorder and just kept going to doctor after doctor until they finally got one to prescribe some meds. One person was stuck on stuff nobody should have been taking for more than a few weeks since his early teenage years and was on it for decades. Terrible, life long consequences.

Another person had a mother who kept shopping around for years and finally one of the doctors warned her if she kept at it, they'd involve children's services. She finally knocked it off... when her daughter was 16. (She doesn't have a mental disorder and lives a stable life with a professional job nowadays.)

But in those cases I think the mothers sincerely believed their child had a mental disorder, even if they were deeply misguided. The new trend is trying to get their kids marked with things they think will give them a "leg up" in life: like getting them on Adderal to improve performance on tests, even if their child isn't actually ADD/ADHD; trying to get the right IEP in place so they can get extra time on tests including getting a special reader or note taker in college; it's frankly ridiculous and sad.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Yes there are parents who are trying to scam the system to advantage their children. They are a small minority but they impart a horrible lesson on their kids who learn that fraud is the way to get ahead. Because you can be certain the kids know what is happening and are taking notes and developing habits that will follow them the rest of their lives.

I think what is far more common these days is parents who think there is some sort of easy medication fix for whatever difficulties they are having with raising their children. Raising kids can be difficult and that has always been the case. I have 3 of my own. Most of them will challenge you in some way. There is no shortcut to simply being firm, loving, and consistent with your kids. There is often no therapist or medication that is going to “fix” your child. You just have to do that yourself. That is what being a parent is.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Even ten years ago, these people would clog the special accommodations office at a midsize private university. It was always the parents driving everything. One of them wanted the school nurse to make sure the student was taking add/adhd meds as prescribed during exam weeks…
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:53 am Even ten years ago, these people would clog the special accommodations office at a midsize private university. It was always the parents driving everything. One of them wanted the school nurse to make sure the student was taking add/adhd meds as prescribed during exam weeks…
God have mercy.
This is a clear message to innocents to turn to pills for life’s answers.

Children i’ve known, and myself as a child, HATE taking meds. This is corruption of innocents.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

He describes parents pushing for drugs like Adderall .. now to the point there are supply problems.
i read of abuse of Adderall in college students years ago, abused for weight loss, and in attempt to improve grades/test scores.
Dependence liability: Moderate - high
License data: US DailyMed: Adderall; US FDA: Adderall

Other names: Mixed amphetamine salts; MAS :shock:

MATT WALSH / “Is ADHD Being Over Diagnosed?” / 17min

fda.gov / FDA Announces Shortage of Adderall
https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-a ... e-adderall

Found in Comments:
✏️ @danceswithsticks WROTE: 3 days ago
“Teacher sent me to Dr for ADD , I was diagnosed with ADD.
My Dad who is an actual genius with 2 PHDs, thought for a few moments and calmly said “I’m sorry sir, you are mistaken my son has…. Boredom intolerance advantage “ this was in 1974 I know he saved my brain and life!!
Good rest his beautiful immaculate soul!“
0 x

UNKNOWN