Tiny Houses (Tiny Homesteads)

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: Tiny Houses (Tiny Homesteads)

Post by gcdonner »

I guess I would find a different location to live...like we are doing now, Lord willing.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

gcdonner wrote:[Why do you need a lot? I follow a lady on Youtube who lives in an oversized Dodge van (not a motor home) who travels around the country visiting different places. In many areas you can stay overnight in Walmart parking lots with their blessing, the same for some big box stores like the Home Depot, etc.
I expect that Max could give some real insight into all this since he lives in his camper trailer year round.
Remember these "mini houses" are just artsy interpretations of campers, camping trailers, or motor homes. Get an old school bus and renovate it to suit your needs and "hit the road, Jack..."
I follow a few of those youtubers as well. Like rock climbers who buy Sprinter vans and upfit them with solar, running water and some even have bathroom facilities!

One day....
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

steve-in-kville wrote:
gcdonner wrote:[Why do you need a lot? I follow a lady on Youtube who lives in an oversized Dodge van (not a motor home) who travels around the country visiting different places. In many areas you can stay overnight in Walmart parking lots with their blessing, the same for some big box stores like the Home Depot, etc.
I expect that Max could give some real insight into all this since he lives in his camper trailer year round.
Remember these "mini houses" are just artsy interpretations of campers, camping trailers, or motor homes. Get an old school bus and renovate it to suit your needs and "hit the road, Jack..."
I follow a few of those youtubers as well. Like rock climbers who buy Sprinter vans and upfit them with solar, running water and some even have bathroom facilities!

One day....
Don't put it off too long if you really want/need to do it. You will be old before you know it and then it will be to late. Enjoy your youth while you have it.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote:

One day....
Those camper vans are now called class Bs and they cost as much or more than a larger class C which is what I have. I bought my class C used. It had 65,000 miles on it and a dodgy electrical system that the previous owner overloaded. I bought it for very little money and replaced the aging systems along with the electrical. Works great, just doesn’t look new or fancy. I’ve seen those converted school buses but they are huge gas guzzlers compared to my C. By the time school systems let them go they have hundreds of thousands of miles on them so you end up having to replace the entire drive train and major systems if you want to drive it. Plus they’re difficult to register in some states, even if you have a title that’s free and clear. If you just want to park it, it had better be in a mild climate because you cannot insulate them well.

If you want my advice on a mobile camper, look at some good used ones that were designed for that purpose.

Boondocking is what they call it when they don’t hook up to electric or water: they just have a genny or solar panels and a filled water tank. With careful planning most only boondock for week or so until they have to refill the water tank and empty the black tank.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

3D PRINTED HOMES

“Updates: 3D Printed Homes in Northern VA”
November 2021 Update: 3D Printing Arrives in Virginia
• Richmond welcomed the first 3D printed home in Virginia, being constructed starting in Summer of 2021.
https://realwillrodgers.com/3dprintedhomesnorthernva/

1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

3D Printed House in Austin
1 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

“IT HAPPENED! Elon Musk's $10000 House FINALLY Hitting The Market” / 8min

$10,000. Evidently, he has other more expensive models. ^^^

Yellow Rose Cottage / “Inside a French-Inspired Cottage in the Heart of Texas | Tiny House Style | Better Homes & Gardens / 5min

“Romantic Victorian TINY HOUSE at Portland Tiny House Hotel” / 13min
1 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Kerry Tarnow / “THE TRUTH About Tesla's $15,000 Tiny House For Sustainable Living / 9min

i have no idea how credible Kerry Tarnow is, but, i would anticipate there is no actual “$10,000” ultra-nifty prefab tiny home. :mrgreen: Interesting video.

how i wish there were some fabulous inexpensive practical options - - that would be acceptable to local building codes.

finding a location that permits smaller building footprints is a major stumbling block.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

I think tiny homes are actually very interesting but I agree, the $10,000 price seems absurdly ridiculous.

The absolutely cheapest new car you can buy right now is the Korean-made Chevy Spark which goes for about $15,000.

The tiniest new camping trailers like the 17 ft Casita go for $25,000 and up: https://casitatraveltrailers.com/spirit/ and that is half the size of the smallest tiny home. And they are made for summertime use (or 3-season use at best) not winter.

The very cheapest single-wide mobile homes start at about $50,000 which seems like a more realistic low-end price. And in any event, I'm not really sure what the difference is between a tiny home and a mobile home other than marketing.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Government regulations. Manufacturing+other. Federal, state, local.
Not to bunny trail, but, mobile homes, prefab, modular, etc., are established industries - with attendant gov regulations/restrictions.

Often, mobile home sales are combined with locations developed for the purpose of having places to put them, they can’t be put just anywhere. Some better modular homes are built to pass (or surpass) local codes, built on permanent foundations, etc. They aren’t mobile.

i’m not sure where the tiny house people are wrt gov regs, but these constructs, also, can’t be put just anywhere.
There are things to think about, water, sewer, electrical, fuel, etc.

So far, like mobile homes, tiny houses do not seem to appreciate in value - altho up-front costs increase over time.

i’m not an expert by any means. but interested.

i’m a fan of the dawdy house concept.
from small-footprint visits with family in the PNW, i believe i can live happily without taking up much space.
Tiny versus Mobile
The most critical difference between the two is their size. Tiny homes usually only comprise anywhere from 100 and 400 square feet meant to allow for a self-sufficient lifestyle. On the other hand, mobile homes have anywhere from 600 to 1300 square feet, allowing for a much more ample living space.

A tiny home is not considered a mobile home.
Also referred to as a manufactured home, a mobile home is much larger, less expensive, and regulated by government bodies.
Tiny homes offer more flexible designs, but mobile homes are factory-built and can't be moved easily without a moving permit.

i’ve never lived in any of these types of homes. who knows what the future holds?!
0 x

UNKNOWN