Tiny Houses (Tiny Homesteads)

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Tiny Houses (Tiny Homesteads)

Post by temporal1 »

Home Afloat / HGTV
http://www.hgtv.com/shows/home-afloat

just heard of this. houseboats! :D
i saw part of one episode that had a lovely construct.
lovely, that, in this space, they managed to have a nice kitchen, long, but narrow, table, 2 bedrooms, 1.5 baths .. none of it looked very scrunched, as is often the case with these builds.

i didn't see the price, squ footage, location .. other than it was in a beautiful urban harbor.
the dock fee was $750! which is more than my mortgage+taxes, conventional home.
i'm used to seeing high prices, because my family lives on the crazy-expensive west coast.
this harbor may have been Vancouver (?) .. not sure.

if i happen to figure out which episode i saw part of, i'll try to remember to post it.
i could be convinced to live on the water. 8-)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Many places I have lived, dock rental is more than a typical apartment, and often the waitlists are years long.
0 x
Peregrino
Affiliation:

Post by Peregrino »

Maybe it's time to start a Can a Christian Own a Tiny Yacht? thread. 8-) On the open sea there are no taxes, no dock fees, and no homeowners associations​. Just a plain, simple yacht, drifting from one corner of the world to another. :P
1 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

temporal1 wrote:Home Afloat / HGTV
http://www.hgtv.com/shows/home-afloat

just heard of this. houseboats! :D
i saw part of one episode that had a lovely construct.
lovely, that, in this space, they managed to have a nice kitchen, long, but narrow, table, 2 bedrooms, 1.5 baths .. none of it looked very scrunched, as is often the case with these builds.

i didn't see the price, squ footage, location .. other than it was in a beautiful urban harbor.
the dock fee was $750! which is more than my mortgage+taxes, conventional home.
i'm used to seeing high prices, because my family lives on the crazy-expensive west coast.
this harbor may have been Vancouver (?) .. not sure.

if i happen to figure out which episode i saw part of, i'll try to remember to post it.
i could be convinced to live on the water. 8-)
Until your first storm... :shock: :roll:
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Peregrino wrote:Maybe it's time to start a Can a Christian Own a Tiny Yacht? thread. 8-) On the open sea there are no taxes, no dock fees, and no homeowners associations​. Just a plain, simple yacht, drifting from one corner of the world to another. :P
Or, on the other end of the spectrum, can a Christian own a condo on a large yacht? I happened across this in Cape Town harbor a few years ago, it looks like an interesting concept. Might be sort of Worldly, though.
The World: Residences at Sea
T1: It will be in Seattle in July.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

ohio jones wrote:
Peregrino wrote:Maybe it's time to start a Can a Christian Own a Tiny Yacht? thread. 8-) On the open sea there are no taxes, no dock fees, and no homeowners associations​. Just a plain, simple yacht, drifting from one corner of the world to another. :P
Or, on the other end of the spectrum, can a Christian own a condo on a large yacht? I happened across this in Cape Town harbor a few years ago, it looks like an interesting concept. Might be sort of Worldly, though.
The World: Residences at Sea
T1: It will be in Seattle in July.
Thanks for bringing levity to my day, OJ; I can't stop guffawing over this quote:
Routed in a company-wide philosophy of delivering on each Resident’s individual preferences, [the on-board Beverage Manager] notes that The World carries the favorite wines, spirits, and sakes of every Resident. She and her team “bring the destination alive” for Residents by featuring cocktails and other beverages that use infused spirits or that incorporate regional ingredients, some discovered during her visits to local farmers’ markets.
:lol:
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Ah, houseboats: not the place you want to be in a storm. Stayed in one on a lake for two summers in my youth. Never again. :lol:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

hmm. i missed some posts from .. June. :mrgreen: boo-hoo.
i noticed this, some are working on legal definitions and codes for tiny houses:
of course, regulation is “the” American way! :P

“What are Tiny Houses?”
https://tinyhousebuild.com/what-are-tiny-houses/
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Olympia, Washington

Quixote Village. Formerly homeless community
https://kcts9.org/programs/in-close-loc ... aign=local
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

This might be a Tiny Homestead. :D
One challenge is finding a building lot with zoning for smaller square footage.
1100 square feet is large for the Tiny House idea, but has become small for subdivision covenants.

Sturgeon Bay, WI:
“After 2 years, a young home buyer found a new-age 'farm' house on Craigslist”

https://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/st ... 950671002/

(a young home buyer, and her mother’s financing.) :P
.. “So I've been working on this for awhile," Vogel said about designing the home he sold to Yohe. It's the prototype of a home he's designed to be affordable, with features to minimize energy consumption and provide options for growing food.

Dubbed the Anywhere Farm by Vogel, the home was built in 2018 on a vacant site near Sunset Park along Sturgeon Bay's east side. While the footprint of the home is smaller than most new construction houses, it has lofty ceilings, open-concept living/kitchen area and includes a room with a southern exposure of windows, specifically designed to grow food.

"It was a spec house so I added some features to it that made it more expensive, like quality kitchen cabinets and colored concrete for the floors," Vogel said. ..
.. Sustainable includes energy efficiency, and growing produce for home use, he said.

While his first home sold for $148,000, Vogel said he could build a similar home for less money.

"If there was someone willing to go down that rabbit hole with me, I know I can cut the cost a lot," Vogel said.

That rabbit hole includes a buyer willing to use second-hand cabinets and doors throughout the house, and also agreeing to complete different segments of the building project, Vogel said.

The prototypical Anywhere Farm home has concrete walls and floors with a substantial layer of polystyrene foam under the concrete floor and, also, similar foam on the interior and exterior walls of the one-story home. The heating and air conditioning is provided by one split-level unit in the middle of the home near the ceiling with backup electric baseboard heating in each room. The hot water is provided by a tank-less on demand gas-run unit.

With nine-foot walls, the rooms feel spacious and ceiling fans push hot air down in the winter and swirl the cooled air in the summer.

The home's main exposure is southern and includes a room with large windows designed to grow hydroponic food, including micro-greens and wheat grass, which is a popular dietary supplement. The home's design also includes plans for a backyard chicken coop and system to collect rain water.

"The Anywhere Farm is like a modern homestead, which fits into the way a growing number of people want to live today," Vogel said. ..
0 x

UNKNOWN