Stroganoff recipes for dry people

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Stroganoff recipes for dry people

Post by Soloist »

So, this is from the wife. We are absolutely in love with my mother-in-law’s veggie stroganoff, and we also like her beef stroganoff, but the recipes use Zinfandel or Sherry. Not that we mind cooking with wine, but I don’t particularly want to be the one shopping for it, and it would be more guest friendly if we could find a different recipe. We have tried some alcohol free recipes that just taste really bland and horrible. Last time, we tried a keto recipe, and I ended up dumping a bunch of lemon juice on mine to make it palatable.

I would figure that Mennonites and other such groups don’t usually cook with alcohol, so would be the best people to ask for flavorful stroganoff recipes that don’t use it. We’ve done one or two with beef broth, and I don’t know that was the problem, but it just tasted so lame.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Stroganoff recipes for dry people

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:14 pm So, this is from the wife. We are absolutely in love with my mother-in-law’s veggie stroganoff, and we also like her beef stroganoff, but the recipes use Zinfandel or Sherry. Not that we mind cooking with wine, but I don’t particularly want to be the one shopping for it, and it would be more guest friendly if we could find a different recipe. We have tried some alcohol free recipes that just taste really bland and horrible. Last time, we tried a keto recipe, and I ended up dumping a bunch of lemon juice on mine to make it palatable.

I would figure that Mennonites and other such groups don’t usually cook with alcohol, so would be the best people to ask for flavorful stroganoff recipes that don’t use it. We’ve done one or two with beef broth, and I don’t know that was the problem, but it just tasted so lame.
Worcestershire Sauce and Soy Sauce combined 50/50. Couple of tablespoons of each. Maybe also a bit of Dijon mustard.

Dial back the salt in the rest of the recipe because both have a lot of salt in them already.

If it were me, I'd google up Beef Stroganoff recipes, read a few, and see what they use for flavor. I'm sure you'll find some non-alcoholic versions that will give you some ideas.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

:P
Ken wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:32 pm
Soloist wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:14 pm So, this is from the wife. We are absolutely in love with my mother-in-law’s veggie stroganoff, and we also like her beef stroganoff, but the recipes use Zinfandel or Sherry. Not that we mind cooking with wine, but I don’t particularly want to be the one shopping for it, and it would be more guest friendly if we could find a different recipe. We have tried some alcohol free recipes that just taste really bland and horrible. Last time, we tried a keto recipe, and I ended up dumping a bunch of lemon juice on mine to make it palatable.

Worcestershire Sauce and Soy Sauce combined 50/50. Couple of tablespoons of each. Maybe also a bit of Dijon mustard.

Dial back the salt in the rest of the recipe because both have a lot of salt in them already.

If it were me, I'd google up Beef Stroganoff recipes, read a few, and see what they use for flavor. I'm sure you'll find some non-alcoholic versions that will give you some ideas.
Yeah, the last recipe used some soy sauce, but maybe it was more bland because it was made in an instant pot. I think there’s like a sour taste or something that is really good in my mother-in-law‘s veggie stroganoff recipe. that’s the one that they boil the mushrooms in Zinfandel. As for the beef stroganoff, maybe I should just look up some Betty Crocker copycats :P
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:24 pm :P
Ken wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:32 pm

Yeah, the last recipe used some soy sauce, but maybe it was more bland because it was made in an instant pot. I think there’s like a sour taste or something that is really good in my mother-in-law‘s veggie stroganoff recipe. that’s the one that they boil the mushrooms in Zinfandel. As for the beef stroganoff, maybe I should just look up some Betty Crocker copycats :P
Maybe balsamic vinegar then if you want to ramp up the sour.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr