Double Decker Conversion

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Double Decker Conversion

Post by MaxPC »

0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: Double Decker Conversion

Post by Sudsy »

The title of this thread got my immediate attention as I initially wondered how a conversion (meaning to become a new creation in Christ Jesus) could be a 'double decker' one. :lol:

My father often used the phrase 'when I got converted' speaking of his born again experience. This pops into my mind when I see the word 'conversion' used.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

A working bus for $2000 is an absolute bargain.

I’m hoping to find a “short bus” powered by an old International 6.0 someday.
1 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

I have seen a number of Youtubers who have converted school buses. I wonder if there is a place for buying used buses?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Josh

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:10 pm I have seen a number of Youtubers who have converted school buses. I wonder if there is a place for buying used buses?
I ran into Soloist’s sister and her boyfriend once who was fixing up an old school bus (that got 4 MPG) as a house to live in. The engine etc did still run but they weren’t planning to drive a lot with that kind of mileage.

Maybe he can report on how much progress they made.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:10 pm I have seen a number of Youtubers who have converted school buses. I wonder if there is a place for buying used buses?
They tend to show up at auctions.
1 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:29 am I’m hoping to find a “short bus” powered by an old International 6.0 someday.
We had one of those 30 years ago, a 48 passenger Blue Bird with IH powertrain. Bought it for $500ish, painted it bluebird blue, made a bunch of repairs, and took it on several youth group trips before putting it out to pasture (literally). The engine was later harvested for another project. Ah, the memories.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

I wonder if there is a report somewhere in which the costs for the upkeep are compared between living in a conversion vs living in a traditional home?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Josh wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:19 pm
I ran into Soloist’s sister and her boyfriend once who was fixing up an old school bus (that got 4 MPG) as a house to live in. The engine etc did still run but they weren’t planning to drive a lot with that kind of mileage.

I don’t keep up with my sister very much, but I can ask.

The commune that used to be near us had multiple converted buses. It’s affordable mobile housing if you do it right. Sure it’s more expensive to move then say an RV but can be much better.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Soloist wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:59 pm
Josh wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:19 pm

I don’t keep up with my sister very much, but I can ask.

The commune that used to be near us had multiple converted buses. It’s affordable mobile housing if you do it right. Sure it’s more expensive to move then say an RV but can be much better.
Quite. I can say that it would be more sturdy than an RV. RVs are built with weight in mind as opposed to safety. School buses are built more in line with safety regulations.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)