lying...

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

lying...

Post by Soloist »

how is it that we have people who openly distort the truth...

Do this, your child will be cured from autism, Oh never do that... Only this...
Preying on the desperate who often know nothing other then that life is really hard and want to try anything to make it better.

Oh you can cure your cancer with apricot seeds

Stop pertussis in its tracts with flax seed (or mega dose vit-C)

Never take the antibiotics! it makes the symptoms worse

Don't worry you can't catch pertussis if you've had a shot in the last 10 years

We have plenty of staff for your child and your times works fine (oh wait, we are actually hiring someone from Ca for you)

Don't worry, if our staff doesn't mesh with you and your family we can get someone else (really? and fire the poor lady from Ca?)

Just take these meds, your sleep will improve

This one will fix your problems (even though the side effects are the same)

I'm sorry ignore my ranting... I'm just bitter at so many lies that make it very difficult to find truth or hope that things will get better.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: lying...

Post by ken_sylvania »

The thing is, so many of the people offering the assurances you mention actually believe it themselves. They have no intent to deceive...
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

ken_sylvania wrote:The thing is, so many of the people offering the assurances you mention actually believe it themselves. They have no intent to deceive...
But they are not actively pursuing the truth either. Maybe they haven't been taught how. Maybe they have grown used to a culture where claims are not carefully evaluated to see if they are true.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:The thing is, so many of the people offering the assurances you mention actually believe it themselves. They have no intent to deceive...
But they are not actively pursuing the truth either. Maybe they haven't been taught how. Maybe they have grown used to a culture where claims are not carefully evaluated to see if they are true.
Indeed. In order to cultivate a love for truth, I must dedicate myself not just to the very minimum to convince myself "I'm not lying", but I must ask myself "Am I at all deceiving my neighbour, even unknowingly?" I think Jesus offers a lot of grace for unintentional sin, but even unintentionally hurting someone still hurts them.

A bigger discussion is here deciding who the authority for truth even is. This is really hard to do with things like medicine or nutrition. But some of what I see in Soloist's cry is things that are very, very simple: it's common in business to speak outright lies. It's something I do my best to avoid, but it's very, very commonplace to speak half-truths and mis-truths and lies by omission.

I think as believers, we can let our light shine by not doing this.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Bootstrap wrote:But they are not actively pursuing the truth either. Maybe they haven't been taught how. Maybe they have grown used to a culture where claims are not carefully evaluated to see if they are true.
Spot on. Personal revelations and opinions trump reason and fact every time. Welcome to the West.

Soloist, I'm sorry to hear of your situation.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Soloist, I understand completely.

My 5 cents: The examples you gave remind me of the "snake oil salesmen" and con artists of many years ago. They do it for money.

Then there are those who do it for pride, prestige, status and power. They want to be the ultimate authority and seek to obtain that status however they can. They offer empty promises in a flood of words.

Finally there are those who are 'believers' because they're desperate for relief.

Nothing new under the sun or Son. Men are sinners and that's why we need Jesus.

Soloist wrote:how is it that we have people who openly distort the truth...

Do this, your child will be cured from autism, Oh never do that... Only this...
Preying on the desperate who often know nothing other then that life is really hard and want to try anything to make it better.

Oh you can cure your cancer with apricot seeds

Stop pertussis in its tracts with flax seed (or mega dose vit-C)

Never take the antibiotics! it makes the symptoms worse

Don't worry you can't catch pertussis if you've had a shot in the last 10 years

We have plenty of staff for your child and your times works fine (oh wait, we are actually hiring someone from Ca for you)

Don't worry, if our staff doesn't mesh with you and your family we can get someone else (really? and fire the poor lady from Ca?)

Just take these meds, your sleep will improve

This one will fix your problems (even though the side effects are the same)

I'm sorry ignore my ranting... I'm just bitter at so many lies that make it very difficult to find truth or hope that things will get better.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

some/many lies are told because people are paid to tell them.
or, they won't be paid without telling them.
loss of a paycheck is a big motivator. there are many ways lies are justified.

some are pathological liars.

but, in my life, i have wondered if lying might be the most universal sin?
is there anyone who has never lied? then, it becomes a matter of degrees.

o.yeah. there is what is taught in law schools. that all truth, moral+legal, is relative, or, "what you can get away with," in courts of law. some get away with literal murder. there is a price for moral+legal relativism.

from your OP, it sounds as if you are struggling with something specific?
(no intent to be intrusive.)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN