Insomnia

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: Insomnia

Post by Szdfan »

Pro-Tip: It's a REALLY bad idea to Google "how to deal with insomnia" on your phone when you're awake in the middle of the night and can't sleep.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

Post by Sliceitup »

Szdfan wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:17 pm Pro-Tip: It's a REALLY bad idea to Google "how to deal with insomnia" on your phone when you're awake in the middle of the night and can't sleep.
I’ve started playing audio books to help me get to sleep. The problem is that if my earbuds get pressed in a certain way then my phone will call some random number. I’ve turned off Siri and voice commands, but somehow the earbuds bypass that.

The audiobook trick works best with a book you’ve read often enough that you won’t be super interested in the book. It’s just the soothing voice saying things you already know. This is also how I relax if I have a migraine that is so bad that I can’t fall asleep due to the pain.
0 x
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

Quiet instrumental music?

I nap best with noise- usually the TV going with something I have seen so it is background.
0 x
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

Sliceitup wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:09 pm
Szdfan wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:17 pm Pro-Tip: It's a REALLY bad idea to Google "how to deal with insomnia" on your phone when you're awake in the middle of the night and can't sleep.
I’ve started playing audio books to help me get to sleep. The problem is that if my earbuds get pressed in a certain way then my phone will call some random number. I’ve turned off Siri and voice commands, but somehow the earbuds bypass that.

The audiobook trick works best with a book you’ve read often enough that you won’t be super interested in the book. It’s just the soothing voice saying things you already know. This is also how I relax if I have a migraine that is so bad that I can’t fall asleep due to the pain.
That's what I've done with NPR -- the calm, public radio cadence is easy to sleep to.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

QuietlyListening wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:07 pm Quiet instrumental music?

I nap best with noise- usually the TV going with something I have seen so it is background.
I do music sometimes and I've slept to TV. Sometimes the flashing lights wake me up.
0 x
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

I'd suggest mask to cover your eyes but if you are like me- I can't abide anything like that- can't even do earplugs. I'd have to use a speaker.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Joy wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:59 pm On overnight flights, I find that turning on a movie works to put me to sleep. But picking one can be a problem--I don't want someone to come along and see questionable content on my little screen while I am asleep. But "Happy Feet" I was familiar with from a previous flight, and the penguins hadn't done anything naughty on camera.
Here's a pro tip: On your next flight, Cocaine Bear would not be a good pick to watch :o
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 3:15 pm
Joy wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:59 pm On overnight flights, I find that turning on a movie works to put me to sleep. But picking one can be a problem--I don't want someone to come along and see questionable content on my little screen while I am asleep. But "Happy Feet" I was familiar with from a previous flight, and the penguins hadn't done anything naughty on camera.
Here's a pro tip: On your next flight, Cocaine Bear would not be a good pick to watch :o
Had to look that up. No, trust me, I'll choose insomnia over that. Reminds me of when Jesus sent the demons into the pigs, who then went hog wild.
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Post by Pelerin »

Hard work usually keeps me asleep pretty well. Maybe exercise would work if you don’t have anything that needs done.

On the other hand I’m not exactly what you’d call normal. Caffeine doesn’t seem to bother me much at all and I occasionally have a cup of coffee around 8:00 or 9:00 in the evening. It may just be that I’ve built up a pretty high tolerance for caffeine by this point though.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Pelerin wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:40 pm Hard work usually keeps me asleep pretty well. Maybe exercise would work if you don’t have anything that needs done.

On the other hand I’m not exactly what you’d call normal. Caffeine doesn’t seem to bother me much at all and I occasionally have a cup of coffee around 8:00 or 9:00 in the evening. It may just be that I’ve built up a pretty high tolerance for caffeine by this point though.
Another thought: you may be drinking a brand that has less caffeine in it.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God