Insomnia

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: Insomnia

Post by Szdfan »

Robert wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:37 am I use Curiosity Stream. It has been working well for me, but then I wake up the next day really to have wanted to watch that documentary I picked and fell asleep watching, but can't remember which one I had picked.
I'll listen to Brown Noise sometimes and if that doesn't work, I'll listen to NPR.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

I would not lose sleep over it. :mrgreen:
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Szdfan wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:24 am Over the past nine months, I've been struggling with insomnia. At first it was anxiety, then it was due to significant life changes and now it's because of health issues.

I used to be a night owl, but I go to bed around eight or nine because I often get up early in the morning. I don't have a hard time falling asleep initially. However, I often wake up at two or three in the morning and can't fall back asleep.

What's your experience? What do you do to fall back asleep?
I seldom have trouble getting back to sleep when I get up during the night but occasionally it happens. The cause is that something gets on my mind and I can't block it out. So, I turn on my bedroom TV and with so many commercials in the wee hours of the morning, I lose interest in what I am watching and am able to turn the TV off and go back to sleep.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

On overnight flights, I find that turning on a movie works to put me to sleep. But picking one can be a problem--I don't want someone to come along and see questionable content on my little screen while I am asleep. But "Happy Feet" I was familiar with from a previous flight, and the penguins hadn't done anything naughty on camera. But then I discovered that flight attendants feel it is their duty to turn off your screen if they think you are sleeping, so I am wide awake again. :shock:

At home I usually put myself to sleep reading, although I sometimes use Sleepytime Tea; peanut butter and milk; or one of the herbal sleep-inducing tablets. I also have a skin cream someone gave me, with herbal sleep helps.
1 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

A pad of sticky notes might be useful for those over attentive flight attendants. Maybe something like "please leave the video screen on, I'm watching with my eyes closed." "Will wake for food" is another important one.
4 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

ohio jones wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:56 pm A pad of sticky notes might be useful for those over attentive flight attendants. Maybe something like "please leave the video screen on, I'm watching with my eyes closed." "Will wake for food" is another important one.
"In event of fiery crash or gremlin on the wing, please wake."
1 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

I especially have trouble sleeping on Sunday nights, even if I didn't take an afternoon nap. We don't normally have any supper on Sundays, so I have to go find something, or I will have what I call 'Food Deprivation Dreams", where I'm in line at a cafeteria, and when I get to the food service area, it's all gone. Or I fix a plate for myself, then set it down to get a glass of water or juice, and when I turn around, it's been taken away. Every which way a person could go hungry, I've done it in my dreams. (I have a digestive disorder where the food goes through me about 3 times faster than 'normal'. So I have to eat regular meals, or I get shaky, or feel faint.)
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

ohio jones wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:56 pm A pad of sticky notes might be useful for those over attentive flight attendants. Maybe something like "please leave the video screen on, I'm watching with my eyes closed." "Will wake for food" is another important one.
:D

On my 15-hour flight from South Africa in February, the flight attendant left me sleeping, but pulled down my tray and left me a sandwich. But that was probably because I had brought chocolates (and tracts) for all the crew. :yawn:
1 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Blue light (including phone screens) can stimulate awakeness. When our power was out for 5 days and we just used railroad lanterns and candles, I noticed both I and the children slept much better (admittedly, there were still phone screens in use, but not as much as normal).
1 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Curiosity Stream worked again last night for me. I started the doc on the history of Europe at 2 AM. So much activity at our house last night as the 17 year old moved back in. 10 minutes in, I was out. It was interesting too. Well, I will try again tonight.

Well, he woke me up at 8 AM this morning with a call that he had a fender bender in Walmart parking lot. 6 hours is usually good for me.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.