Your favorite healthy meal

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Your favorite healthy meal

Post by Soloist »

Rules, only post meal recipes.
Anyone posting anything other then tasty healthy food is sent to the cooked spinach with anchovies dump.

Expectations: low sugar
Low carbs or low fat depending on your food moral compass.
And most importantly, it has to taste good.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Your favorite healthy meal

Post by Josh »

I really like “complex” salads… imagine good quality fresh iceberg and spinach, freshly made bacon bits for flavour, chopped tomato slices, and then top that with homemade croutons and a Caesar or a homemade ranch dressing. (A restaurant version of this is Olive Garden’s salad.)

Not necessarily low fat but can be very low carb if you cut out the croutons and add good things like egg slices.
3 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

SWEET POTATOES

Recently diagnosed with heart+blood pressure problems, i came across this video on sweet potatoes, a food i like, but rarely eat.
The video was so compelling, i began buying sweet potatoes right away. i prefer them plain+steamed, they’re so flavorful and rich-tasting, i don’t care for added sugars. i eat them like candy, with skins, add nothing, right out of the microwave, oven, skillet ..

They go with most meals, salads, other vegetables. Great with eggs.

Thing is: Improved blood pressure. Quite improved.
The cardiologist and i were surprised.
i now try to include 3-4 ounces everyday, or twice daily. Meals or snacks. (i must always watch carbs.)

i’ve read for years, sweet potatoes are an inexpensive, available mainstay in many countries’ diets.

11Points / “What Happens when you start eating Sweet Potatoes everyday” / 12min
✏️ Description:
“Evidence-based: https://www.healthnormal.com/sweet-po...

Sweet potatoes are delicious, nutritious, and easy to cook. They have an earthy-sweet flavor that goes well with savory spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg. They're often used as a substitute for white potatoes in recipes because of their many health benefits.

Sweet potatoes come in more than 400 varieties. All kinds are high in vitamin A. They also contain vitamin C as well as potassium and beta-carotene.

Sweet potatoes contain more calories than regular potatoes. However, they have less starch and sugar content so they don't spike blood sugar levels as white potatoes do. In this video, we are going to be talking about the amazing health benefits of eating a sweet potato every day.”

HealthNormal: https://www.healthnormal.com/

Timestamps:
Intro - 0:00
1. Antioxidant Powerhouses - 01:09
2. Good Source of Vitamin C and B-vitamins - 02:12
3. A Good Way To Get Lots of Other Nutrients - 03:14
4. Promote gut health - 04:34
5. Anti-Inflammatory Properties - 05:20
6. No Blood Sugar Spikes - 05:54
7. Supported weight loss - 06:49
8. Support healthy vision - 07:26
9. Regulation of Blood Pressure - 08:37
10. May have cancer-fighting properties - 09:24
11. May enhance brain function - 10:01
i like spinach and/or anchovies. :wave:
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

I try to stay away from wheat as much as possible. I recently discovered wagyu beef, specifically burgers. Fry one up medium rare, sauté some mushrooms around it and top with good swiss cheese at the very end. I'd eat this quicker than a steak.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

Cauliflower Ham Casserole

4 cups chopped fresh cauliflower
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1/3 cup all-purpose flour (Because I am Gluten free I use 2 tbsp corn starch and mix with milk)
2 cups milk
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sour cream (I use Greek yogurt)
2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
TOPPING:
1 cup soft bread crumbs or 1/2 cup panko crumbs
1 tablespoon butter, melted

Place cauliflower in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until tender. You can also roast the cauliflower) Meanwhile, in another large
saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cheese
and sour cream until melted. Drain cauliflower. In a large bowl, combine the
cauliflower, ham and mushrooms. Add cheese sauce and toss to coat. Transfer to a greased
2-qt. baking dish. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered,
at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until heated through.
0 x
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

For those who are NOT celiac but must avoid wheat products I have found sourdough bread- that is fermented overnight for the first rise) works well and does not affect my digestive system. The long fermentation process is what makes it digestible. I have even found a pie crust using sourdough.
1 x