Rose gardeners: need advice!

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Rose gardeners: need advice!

Post by steve-in-kville »

Over the winter, I ordered a few ground roses. I was not expecting them for several more weeks, but they were delivered early this week. They are bare-rooted, I think. How long will they remain dormant? We plan to pot them for our porch, so if I do that this weekend, will they be okay? I'm new to roses. Thanks.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Re: Rose gardeners: need advice!

Post by Pelerin »

Not specific to roses: I would keep them pretty cool (but not frozen, obviously) and be very sure the roots don’t dry out. With good conditions you should be able to store them for a few weeks. If you start seeing leaf buds, you’ve got to get them planted soon.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Soak the roots before planting, location needs sun, use good soil, water after planting, do not fertilize for a month or two.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Update: Ieft the plants in water way longer than I should have. last week my son planted them in one of his flower beds. I noticed substantial growth yesterday, as well tiny little leaves forming. Quite happy.

I have some dwarf canna bulbs coming anytime now. Those will be planted in pots, at least that is the plan now.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!