Poll: does an increase in crime negatively affect an area’s economy?

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.

Does an increase in crime negatively affect the success of an area’s economy?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:27 pm

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 7

MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Poll: does an increase in crime negatively affect an area’s economy?

Post by MaxPC »

Does an increase in crime negatively affect the success of an area’s economy?

This is a simple question so a few rules if you post your reasons:
-Only 2 posts per person maximum
-Share only your personal experiences and views: no graphs, mass media links nor alleged “studies”
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Poll: does an increase in crime negatively affect an area’s economy?

Post by steve-in-kville »

Yes. I have seen this happen in two occasions. A nearby city started to have "issues" in the early 80's, but was contained to the northwest corner. I used to own property in the northeast side and I did good. But the "trash" was slowly moving east. From what I understand, the entire south side is still uppity-up. The south side is expensive to live in and commercial property holds value way better than anything on the north side.

White people are quick to blame the spanish-speaking folks for this, they bring the drugs and the crime that goes with it. But then I've seen some real genuine white trailer trash, too. I apologize for being "judgy" but that is the mindset around here.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

MaxPC wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:27 pm Does an increase in crime negatively affect the success of an area’s economy?

-Share only your personal experiences and views: no graphs, mass media links nor alleged “studies”
I think it absolutely does, but I suspect that the two are also linked in that the opposite can also be true. At a certain point, it's hard to say which causes which.
1 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:59 am Yes. I have seen this happen in two occasions. A nearby city started to have "issues" in the early 80's, but was contained to the northwest corner. I used to own property in the northeast side and I did good. But the "trash" was slowly moving east. From what I understand, the entire south side is still uppity-up. The south side is expensive to live in and commercial property holds value way better than anything on the north side.

White people are quick to blame the spanish-speaking folks for this, they bring the drugs and the crime that goes with it. But then I've seen some real genuine white trailer trash, too. I apologize for being "judgy" but that is the mindset around here.
I don’t care about the colour of the people bringing in the crime. But I sure don’t want to own property or try to run a business near that.
1 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Josh wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:44 am
I don’t care about the colour of the people bringing in the crime. But I sure don’t want to own property or try to run a business near that.
I agree. Unfortunately it is the common perception of most old, white, Pennsylvania Dutch, registered republicans around me. It can be frustrating to listen to.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:50 am
Josh wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:44 am
I agree. Unfortunately it is the common perception of most old, white, Pennsylvania Dutch, registered republicans around me. It can be frustrating to listen to.
I mean, it’s certainly true that a large amount of illegal aliens moving in often correlates with an increase in crime. I’m not sure there’s anything wrong with noticing that. Unfortunately, some cultures seem to have the notion that stealing anything not nailed down is OK.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

mike wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:35 am
MaxPC wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:27 pm Does an increase in crime negatively affect the success of an area’s economy?

I think it absolutely does, but I suspect that the two are also linked in that the opposite can also be true. At a certain point, it's hard to say which causes which.
I agree. The wisdom comes in know the difference.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Some personal experiences out in California:

Used to be a nice very low crime place. Always had a large Hispanic population (40% county wide) but a few years ago a criminal element started appearing.

Now trailers are stolen right out of people’s driveways. Someone’s solar panels were stolen right out of their yard - the pole they were mounted in was cut through with an angle grinder. Catalytic converters keep getting sawn off.

If you see anyone you don’t know, you don’t trust them. If a rental house near you has a bunch of Hispanic men move in, you expect crime. It’s very unfortunate it has turned out this way.
0 x