Little House in the Wrong Thread

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Little House in the Wrong Thread

Post by steve-in-kville »

From a known child predator to Laura Ingalls Wilder, all in one thread. This is officially a train wreck.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

My good sir, take your trains and go play elsewhere! This is a thread for professionals :wave:
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Soloist wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:19 am My good sir, take your trains and go play elsewhere! This is a thread for professionals :wave:
I would but my trains are on fire at the moment 8-)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

One of my children brought home from the library Homer Price and his Centerburg Tales which is a charming book on many levels but it has a section that mocks native Americans as foolish, given over to excess and generally not people to be taken seriously. We talked about it and I wrote a sticky note expressing my reservations about that chapter and sent it back.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

barnhart wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:44 am One of my children brought home from the library Homer Price and his Centerburg Tales which is a charming book on many levels but it has a section that mocks native Americans as foolish, given over to excess and generally not people to be taken seriously. We talked about it and I wrote a sticky note expressing my reservations about that chapter and sent it back.
Did you expect the library to censor the book or something?
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

On a road trip now. Visited the Ingalls homestead in De Smet, South Dakota yesterday. Listened to the first few books while traveling.

I recommend the books. Regarding the Indians, Pa consistently is the voice of reason. He consistently tells the children and Ma to consider the events from the Indians perspective, and pushes back on the racism and fear that Ma and other people have. He teaches them to treat the Indians fairly and kindly.

The books also teach valuable lesson regarding childrens behavior, respect, and gratefulness, and economic independence, and contentment, and hardship.

The parts of the story that are incompatible to Christian living are not core to the story, and even without calling it out each time, my children very easily, instinctively identify and disregard that behavior. They subconsciously know that this story is not about Christians, nor a contemporary story. My children are used to the fact that much of what is written in story books are not written from a Mennonite perspective or with Mennonite or Christian values.
Things such as Pa being prepared to defend his house with a gun, and staying up all night to do so, don’t need called out by me - they know that we don’t do that, even at 6 years old.

Blackface? That is a nonissue. Historic thing that happened, and they probably don’t even know what it entailed.
2 x