Little House in the Wrong Thread

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Howard Bean

Post by steve-in-kville »

Wasn't Laura Ingalls Wilder's mom married at 14 or something like that?

(If you don't know who that is, we can't be friends 8-) )
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

steve-in-kville wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:40 am Wasn't Laura Ingalls Wilder's mom married at 14 or something like that?

I’ve had misgivings over that book series. The over glamorization. the improper conduct, the lies by the author… it doesn’t seem to be the best book for children. That being said, I definitely would be in the minority among the CMs.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
ABC 123
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by ABC 123 »

Soloist wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:51 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:40 am Wasn't Laura Ingalls Wilder's mom married at 14 or something like that?

I’ve had misgivings over that book series. The over glamorization. the improper conduct, the lies by the author… it doesn’t seem to be the best book for children. That being said, I definitely would be in the minority among the CMs.
Lies?
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

ABC 123 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:02 am
Lies?
I would have to look it up at this point, but there was more than one occasion that the father chose to skip town rather than pay his bills and there was something else… basically she removed any negative aspects of the story. The father was not a very honorable man. Past that I don’t remember I’d have to look it up.
0 x
ABC 123
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by ABC 123 »

Soloist wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:39 am
Lies?
I would have to look it up at this point, but there was more than one occasion that the father chose to skip town rather than pay his bills and there was something else… basically she removed any negative aspects of the story. The father was not a very honorable man. Past that I don’t remember I’d have to look it up.
She fictionalized aspects of her childhood..for children. Would you have been happier if she included the details she omitted? The books are fiction.

This thread is about Howard Bean, a Mennonite man with quite a number of devotional and Christian Living books STILL FOR SALE IN ANABAPTIST CHRISTIAN CATALOGS, yet he cannot seem to understand that touching girls on the behind is not appropriate? That, my friend, has to be an *actual* lie, yet we have a hard time pulling the plug on him as an author. Why? It should be that easy. He disqualifies himself as a cultural policy maker (by writing books on how we ought to live).

He (and others like him) will make strong statements on how our youth should conduct themselves with the opposite sex, sometimes to the point of harm and stunted relationships, but he is off helping himself to people who are not his wife. That is simply wrong. We do our youth a horrible disservice to let men like HB go unchecked.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Laura was married at 16, after a year or so dating. I have actually met people (homeschool types) who objected to those books because of “too much improperly displayed romance”.

The closest the books got was her fiancée going to put his arm around her and she pushed it away.
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

ABC 123 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:51 am She fictionalized aspects of her childhood..for children. Would you have been happier if she included the details she omitted? The books are fiction.
Yes I would. I would rather teach our children truth then glamorize a time period with half truths or flat out lies.
This thread is about Howard Bean, a Mennonite man with quite a number of devotional and Christian Living books STILL FOR SALE IN ANABAPTIST CHRISTIAN CATALOGS, yet he cannot seem to understand that touching girls on the behind is not appropriate? That, my friend, has to be an *actual* lie, yet we have a hard time pulling the plug on him as an author. Why? It should be that easy. He disqualifies himself as a cultural policy maker (by writing books on how we ought to live).
You asked. Perfectly welcome to have started a new thread with your question. I have zero control over a book publishing company. I haven’t even bought a book from them ever.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Josh wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:17 am Laura was married at 16, after a year or so dating. I have actually met people (homeschool types) who objected to those books because of “too much improperly displayed romance”.

The closest the books got was her fiancée going to put his arm around her and she pushed it away.
I have my opinions, but... the Little House series of books should be required reading for young teenagers. As well as the Big Red series by Jim Kjelgaard. As a young teen, I read both of those series multiple times. Both are good reading.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I think it’s a good thing that Laura wrote in positive terms about her father rather than detailing his numerous failings.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:39 am
Lies?
The real story of the Laura Ingalls Wilder family is actually hugely fascinating and an interesting picture into what pioneer life on the great plains was really like. Well worth a read. It is history for an adult (or perhaps HS and above) audience, not a children's book.

1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr