The 2023 Garden Thread!

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: The 2023 Garden Thread!

Post by steve-in-kville »

JimFoxvog wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:10 pm We got our seeds from Johnny's today. Still waiting on Fedco which we ordered at the same time.
I'm curious if the local stores have their displays up yet. usually by early February the seeds are out.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

Around here most of the displays are out and the rest of the garden stuff is out or almost out and that was last week.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:06 am I'm curious if the local stores have their displays up yet. usually by early February the seeds are out.
Here in northern Illinois some stores have seed displays and some don't have them out yet.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Something interesting I learned: you can use ebt (food stamps) to buy seeds and a wide variety of gardening supplies. Considering ebt can be up to $1,000 for a family with 3 children, that’s a lot of seeds, fertiliser, bagged soil, etc.
2 x
JimFoxvog

Post by JimFoxvog »

Today I planted 18 thornless blackberry plants.

A couple of years ago a neighbor gave us a few thornless blackberry plants. They grew well. Last summer I put the tips of a number of vigorously growing primocanes in soil in 5-pound cottage cheese containers that I got from the kitchen of the local church camp, Menno Haven.

They rooted well and the soil wasn't frozen today, so it was time to plant them. We have a small neglected field that now has lots of trees, including a number of black locusts. They make great poles for trellises.
blackberries_1-21-23_2s.jpg
blackberries_1-21-23_1s.jpg
0 x
JimFoxvog

Post by JimFoxvog »

It seems there is a maximum of two pictures per post.
blackberries_1-21-23_4s.jpg
blackberries_1-21-23_3s.jpg
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:34 pm Something interesting I learned: you can use ebt (food stamps) to buy seeds and a wide variety of gardening supplies. Considering ebt can be up to $1,000 for a family with 3 children, that’s a lot of seeds, fertiliser, bagged soil, etc.
That is very cool and something that I did not know. Sure enough

https://www.usda.gov/media/blog/2011/07 ... r-own-food

I expect you might actually have to shop around as I wouldn't be surprised if big box stores like Home Depot aren't set up for this. But maybe food stores that also sell garden supplies are, like Wal-Mart or Fred Meyer here in the Pacific Northwest which is a Kroger grocery chain that also sells hardware and garden supplies.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Somebody
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Somebody »

Today we planted peas and potatoes.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

We will be putting in a pretty full garden this year. Squash, lettuce, cucumber, corn, tomatoes, potatoes, a few beans, and a few other things I got seeds for.

I do not trust the food chain supply.

FOund out last year a very easy way of gardening. You use the black weed stopper mat for landscaping and just cut holes and plant in those little holes. No weeding needed. No weeds drawing nutrients or water from what we want to grow. I tilled in some fertilizer in the ground before I put the matting down and we got so much produce. I have a second freezer I suspect will be filled by the end of the season, but growing season lasts a long time in Texas as long as you water often. This is my goal for this week to get it all in and started.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Apparently, when I ordered those ground roses, I must have ordered some Canna bulbs. Just got an email that they shipped yesterday. Gotta find a home for them now.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!