The 2023 Garden Thread!

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: The 2023 Garden Thread!

Post by Robert »

Planted.

2 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Our 2023 garden is near the end. Last week we harvested 10 bushels of sweet potatoes. As a hard frost was forecast, yesterday we gathered up 20 to 30 bushels of winter squash (not all boxed yet), as well as lots of green tomatoes and peppers. We'll tear up the tomato plants and plant garlic for next year soon.
squash-harvest_10-16-23_3cs.jpg
2 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

My wife has been making a batch of apple sauce every week for the past while. The property we live on has some strange apples (crab apples?) that make good sauce.

I order a few variety of dwarf canna bulbs last week. Look forward to planting them this spring. Most likely in containers.
2 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
JimFoxvog

Post by JimFoxvog »

It's still 2023, but the 2024 garden has started. Yesterday I planted about a thousand cloves of garlic. We're more than half done.
1 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

JimFoxvog wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:45 am Our 2023 garden is near the end. Last week we harvested 10 bushels of sweet potatoes. As a hard frost was forecast, yesterday we gathered up 20 to 30 bushels of winter squash (not all boxed yet), as well as lots of green tomatoes and peppers. We'll tear up the tomato plants and plant garlic for next year soon.

squash-harvest_10-16-23_3cs.jpg
Wow, that is lot of squash. The squash is what I use for my pumpkin pies. After baking the squash and coring and peeling them, I blend the meat part of the squash into a smooth consistency. Then pressure can it in pint jars, just enough for two 9" pies. We love the mild flavor of the squash versus the orange pumpkins. It is not recommended to can pumpkin/squash, due to the thick consistency, but I never had problem pressure canning them.
0 x
JimFoxvog

Post by JimFoxvog »

Grace wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:55 am The squash is what I use for my pumpkin pies. After baking the squash and coring and peeling them, I blend the meat part of the squash into a smooth consistency. Then pressure can it in pint jars, just enough for two 9" pies. We love the mild flavor of the squash versus the orange pumpkins. It is not recommended to can pumpkin/squash, due to the thick consistency, but I never had problem pressure canning them.
I used to do that. When I understood the changed recommendation I started canning it in chunks and blending when I wanted to use it. They say parts may not get hot enough to kill botulism spores. It would still can fine, taste fine, but make people very sick. I don't think it's worth the risk.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

The Concord grapes that I tried to start this year, didn't make it. A couple of them did make some tiny little buds, but they died.
0 x
Grace

Post by Grace »

JimFoxvog wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:01 pm
Grace wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:55 am The squash is what I use for my pumpkin pies. After baking the squash and coring and peeling them, I blend the meat part of the squash into a smooth consistency. Then pressure can it in pint jars, just enough for two 9" pies. We love the mild flavor of the squash versus the orange pumpkins. It is not recommended to can pumpkin/squash, due to the thick consistency, but I never had problem pressure canning them.
I used to do that. When I understood the changed recommendation I started canning it in chunks and blending when I wanted to use it. They say parts may not get hot enough to kill botulism spores. It would still can fine, taste fine, but make people very sick. I don't think it's worth the risk.
I understand where you are coming from, which is why I would never do it in quarts. Also it is then baked in a pie for about an hour. First 15 minutes at 425 degrees and the remainder at 350 degrees.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Grace wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:26 pm
JimFoxvog wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:01 pm
I understand where you are coming from, which is why I would never do it in quarts. Also it is then baked in a pie for about an hour. First 15 minutes at 425 degrees and the remainder at 350 degrees.
My wife cans pumpkin only in pints and only in a pressure canner.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Grace

Post by Grace »

mike wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:30 pm
My wife cans pumpkin only in pints and only in a pressure canner.
Same here. Freezing pumpkin/squash makes it too watery. I have a friend who purchased a brand new pressure canner, but is scared to use it. I keep telling her if you follow the directions, always keep adjusting the heat according to the pounds of pressure, there is nothing to fear.
0 x