Let's talk about hard boiled eggs!

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Let's talk about hard boiled eggs!

Post by steve-in-kville »

We use a lot of eggs at our house, especially hard boiled. There have got to be a dozen tricks to get them to peel well. In this thread, feel free to comment on whatever tactic your household uses to make your eggshells fall off with ease.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Let's talk about hard boiled eggs!

Post by MaxPC »

Alas my wife has tried all the methods except the now popular baked eggs. She has decided that if the others do not work consistently well, neither will this one.
Put eggs into a muffin pan, one per hole. Bake 325 for 25-30 minutes.
Her opinion is that there will always be eggs that will turn up wonky (her words).
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

MaxPC wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:54 pm Alas my wife has tried all the methods except the now popular baked eggs. She has decided that if the others do not work consistently well, neither will this one.
Her opinion is that there will always be eggs that will turn up wonky (her words).
We poach eggs in the oven. I 've poached them in the microwave, too. I like eggs ;)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:01 pm
MaxPC wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:54 pm Alas my wife has tried all the methods except the now popular baked eggs. She has decided that if the others do not work consistently well, neither will this one.
We poach eggs in the oven. I 've poached them in the microwave, too. I like eggs ;)
My wife is interested in how well they turn out in the oven?

She said that if she needs “perfect” egg whites, she makes twice as many eggs. Then she will cut them in half so that at least one side looks perfect if not both. The imperfect whites she makes into egg salad. I can attest that she makes the perfect egg salad.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

I don't think I've ever made hard boiled eggs.

The one time I tried, they turned out to be soft boiled. Rather messy.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

I found that using older eggs, (maybe two weeks old) works the best. Boil them for 10 minute, drain the water and immediately cover them with ice water. Wait a few minutes, until you can comfortably handle the eggs (not as hot) and peel. Usually works for me.

Put the eggs in a jar. Get a 15 oz.can of sliced red beets and pour in a small kettle, Add a 1/4 to 1/2 can of water to the red beets and juice. Then add 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup vinegar, pinch of salt and any other spices you might want. If you want a more tart egg, add more vinegar. Heat until the sugar is dissolved, but avoid allowing the mixture to boil. Pour over the hard boiled eggs, wait about 24 to 48 hours and enjoy.
0 x
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

Alas my wife has tried all the methods except the now popular baked eggs. She has decided that if the others do not work consistently well, neither will this one.
I too have tried every way imaginable- and have even baked them - not a fan of this method at all- and steamed them and used my instant pot. Have put them in cold water and so forth and so on and sometimes they peel beautifully and sometimes they don't. And everyone has a way that will ALWAYS work, until I come along. :laugh :laugh

Oh, well, if I make them for deviled eggs I do my best and usually have some that look pretty. :D
0 x
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

And I always use older eggs.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

ohio jones wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:29 pm I don't think I've ever made hard boiled eggs.

The one time I tried, they turned out to be soft boiled. Rather messy.
Can't cook them too long, they get soft!
0 x
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Post by Pelerin »

I’ve been streaming my eggs for a little while now. I think they do usually tend to peel better, but I like this method because they seem to turn out better. That is, the yolks always turn out nice and yellow, rarely do I get the overcooked grey/green color. Also all the eggs seem to cook evenly, regardless of size. One of these days I’m going to try adding vinegar to the water and see if a more acidic steam makes the eggs peel better.
0 x