Apple Varieties

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Apple Varieties

Post by Ernie »

This is a thread to discuss apples. Your favorites. Nutritional value. Availability. Etc.

We'll see if this gets our long lost Appleman back in circulation. :-)
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Apple Varieties

Post by Ernie »

I'm trying to find a website that lists 50+ apple varieties and their sugar content.

I can find a website that lists 17 varieties but it does not include some from an orchard near us.
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

I always went for Galas for eating. My coworkers got me hooked on Honeycrisp a few years ago. Add peanut butter and I'll eat about anything!
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
wesleyb
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by wesleyb »

We have a small orchard up the road from us that grows a large variety of apples, around 20 I think. He doesn't have cold storage, so he just sells them as he picks them from September through mid November with 3 or 4 varieties available every weekend. I really enjoy trying all the different ones. I have an Ambrosia in my lunch today. They are very sweet and great for eating raw. We use a lot of Gold Rush for sauce and drying. They have a pretty high sugar content I think, but also high acidity. The very best apples I ever had were an heirloom variety called Albemarle Pippin. They weren't all that great right off the tree, but after being in storage in my crawl space for several months they were wonderful.
2 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

I recently put in some Cosmic Crisp trees along with a Melrose apple tree in my back yard that I intend to Espalier into a hedge along the edge of my property. I'm having a hard time keeping the deer away and will probably have to wrap them in chicken wire until they are larger. No fruit yet, I just planted them last spring.

Cosmic Crisp is a new variety developed here in Washington that is just starting to break into the grocery stores and farmer's markets. Melrose is an older variety that originated from Ohio. Both are tart crisp eating apples.

We have an old antique cider press that my father restored years ago. Every year we have a big community cider making party. I usually drive out to Kiyokawa orchards in Hood River https://kiyokawafamilyorchards.com/ and bring back about 10-15 bushel of cider apples which are basically just their "seconds" that have blemishes or are misshapen. So they are a bin of 20+ different varieties and the blend of varieties tends to make the cider better anyway. They usually have at least 20+ different varieties of apples for sale at any one time, many of them pretty obscure.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

I used to love Northern Spy and Cortland when I lived in rural New York. And a lot of apple trees of unknown origin from various fields and woods, which often had great flavor. We referred to them by the place of the tree, or the people who owned the property.

For years, shelf life seemed to matter more than flavor to grocery stores. Recently, new apple varieties actually taste good, bringing back flavors we knew growing up in new varieties. That's been kind of great, if disconcerting. I feel the same way about sweet corn that actually tastes good a week after it was picked.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Bootstrap wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:46 pm I used to love Northern Spy and Cortland when I lived in rural New York. And a lot of apple trees of unknown origin from various fields and woods, which often had great flavor. We referred to them by the place of the tree, or the people who owned the property.

For years, shelf life seemed to matter more than flavor to grocery stores. Recently, new apple varieties actually taste good, bringing back flavors we knew growing up in new varieties. That's been kind of great, if disconcerting. I feel the same way about sweet corn that actually tastes good a week after it was picked.
Hopefully next they can work on store-bought tomatoes that actually taste good too!
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Ken wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:05 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:46 pm I used to love Northern Spy and Cortland when I lived in rural New York. And a lot of apple trees of unknown origin from various fields and woods, which often had great flavor. We referred to them by the place of the tree, or the people who owned the property.

Hopefully next they can work on store-bought tomatoes that actually taste good too!
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Ken wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:05 pm
Can't beat a homegrown tomato, that's for sure. Before I left for work this morning, my wife mentioned there is a high likelihood we're having BLT's for supper tonight. Barely 5am and I'm already hungry for 'em.

One local grocery store has "tomato on the vine" which is one of the best store-bought tomatoes I can find. Price isn't bad, either.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!