Multilingual households?

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Swiss Bro
Affiliation: ETG

Re: Multilingual households?

Post by Swiss Bro »

I am from the German speaking part of Switzerland and speak a Swiss German dialect. My wife is from the French speaking part so we speak French at home. We have no children but I believe that it is a blessing for a child to be raised multilingual.
1 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Karstan78 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:06 am We speak Denglish. Some words come out easier in one language as we’re speaking the other.
I was raised in a home where both English and Pa. Dutch was spoken. And there are certain words used in PA. Dutch that offer a better description than in English. And sometimes when speaking PA. Dutch, English words are used.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Grace wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:41 am
Karstan78 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:06 am We speak Denglish. Some words come out easier in one language as we’re speaking the other.
I was raised in a home where both English and Pa. Dutch was spoken. And there are certain words used in PA. Dutch that offer a better description than in English. And sometimes when speaking PA. Dutch, English words are used.
I would say that's pretty accurate.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:11 pm I speak in English and Spanish to our children, my wife speaks in French and English to them and everyone else around them speaks Spanish.
My grdaughter began French this year, 9th grade, the schools teach quite a lot of Spanish (even in my Ancient Rome schools, we began conversational Spanish in 4th grade!) - i was interested in French, but didn’t get to it.

My daughter had 4 years of French in high school, i was happy to learn about her daughter beginning.
My family reads. My grdaughter+i have shared reading as a primary communication (from a distance) tool.
Books, including the Bible, are my central hope to remain relevant in her life as she grows up. so far away.

This week she’s out of school, i’ve sent a few books (as usual, no matter time of year) - This one was fun:
THE LITTLE PRINCE
i asked her to read the first page to me in English, then French. o.my. “to my ear” she’s already picked up a lot of French!
she then buried her head into it (as usual) and disappeared from the call. :lol:

i send her “everything.” children’s books to (restricted) adult reading level. our readng is for enjoyment of all kinds.
i have The Iliad & The Odessey in mind - thinking it might be a good idea to introduce it before she hears scary stories about how hard it is to read! :lol: Also, maybe The Art of War. :? i have only read occasional intriguing quotes.

She likes Pride+Prejudice quite a lot. There is a lovely French-English edition.
i thought i’d see how she liked bilingual The Little Prince first. i think it’s a hit! :D

Question ..
i’m wondering about taking informal French lessons. There are numbers of online courses.
Language is so much better when shared. Do you, does anyone reading here, have suggestions, for me?
i would like to encourage a “multilingual household.”
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

Post by Sliceitup »

temporal1 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:35 am
HondurasKeiser wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:11 pm I speak in English and Spanish to our children, my wife speaks in French and English to them and everyone else around them speaks Spanish.
My grdaughter began French this year, 9th grade, the schools teach quite a lot of Spanish (even in my Ancient Rome schools, we began conversational Spanish in 4th grade!) - i was interested in French, but didn’t get to it.

My daughter had 4 years of French in high school, i was happy to learn about her daughter beginning.
My family reads. My grdaughter+i have shared reading as a primary communication (from a distance) tool.
Books, including the Bible, are my central hope to remain relevant in her life as she grows up. so far away.

This week she’s out of school, i’ve sent a few books (as usual, no matter time of year) - This one was fun:
THE LITTLE PRINCE
i asked her to read the first page to me in English, then French. o.my. “to my ear” she’s already picked up a lot of French!
she then buried her head into it (as usual) and disappeared from the call. :lol:

i send her “everything.” children’s books to (restricted) adult reading level. our readng is for enjoyment of all kinds.
i have The Iliad & The Odessey in mind - thinking it might be a good idea to introduce it before she hears scary stories about how hard it is to read! :lol: Also, maybe The Art of War. :? i have only read occasional intriguing quotes.

She likes Pride+Prejudice quite a lot. There is a lovely French-English edition.
i thought i’d see how she liked bilingual The Little Prince first. i think it’s a hit! :D

Question ..
i’m wondering about taking informal French lessons. There are numbers of online courses.
Language is so much better when shared. Do you, does anyone reading here, have suggestions, for me?
i would like to encourage a “multilingual household.”
The DuoLingo app is really neat. I had my two youngest using it to learn German.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Sliceitup wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:09 am
The DuoLingo app is really neat. I had my two youngest using it to learn German.
i’ve started, and it’s fun. thank you. 🇫🇷
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN