Libertas Christian School

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Libertas Christian School

Post by temporal1 »

Libertas Christian School / Jr Kindergarten through 12th grade
http://libertaschristianschool.org/
Libertas is Intentionally Classical:
Regardless of their learning style, children learn in three phases; grammar, logic, and rhetoric. Like filling a warehouse, the mind is filled with all things true and good and beautiful in every subject. This type of education creates an appetite for a lifetime of learning. The classical approach teaches students to learn and think for themselves.

Libertas is Vibrantly Christian:
Impact through Biblical worldview brings about a transformation of hearts and lives.
-Chapels led by local pastors and spiritual leaders in the community
-Mentoring focused house groups. Libertas house system blends 7-12 grade students encouraging peer mentoring, camaraderie, and friendly competition.
-Sports coaching emphasis on Kingdom building

We look forward to meeting you as you prayerfully consider your children's schooling.

Good Soil / The Classical Difference / 2.20min
During the 1990s, families in about 100 communities across the United States started classical Christian schools with the hope of offering an education that would assist parents in raising their children in the paideia of the Lord.

The question almost thirty years later is: “To what extent have the goals of classical Christian education been realized?”
To that end, the ACCS commissioned a study by the University of Notre Dame’s Sociology Department.

Understandably, some will view the results of this survey skeptically because of the significant differences between classical Christian schools and the others surveyed. These results can be understood more fully by visiting the ACCS schools themselves.

Arguably, the greatest distinctive is integration—the intentional way that the subjects and Christian truth are interwoven.
Every class and every school activity has one purpose: to see God’s world rightly and to glorify Him.
These communities are tight-knit, serious but joyful, and eminently curious.
And, there is room for improvement. We invite Christians to join a local ACCS school on this journey.
Wondering if anyone has thoughts/experiences with these schools?

This topic is not about the U.S. DOE, gov schools, teachers’ unions, union teachers. Please refrain. :)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Libertas Christian School

Post by Ken »

I have friends who have their kids here: https://liveoakclassical.com/

They like it and say good things about it. It is very ecumenical but probably leans more Episcopal in style. It is not cheap, about $10K per year for primary grades and a bit more for secondary. So closer to traditional prep school prices than a typical church-based school.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Ken wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:40 pm I have friends who have their kids here: https://liveoakclassical.com/

They like it and say good things about it. It is very ecumenical but probably leans more Episcopal in style. It is not cheap, about $10K per year for primary grades and a bit more for secondary. So closer to traditional prep school prices than a typical church-based school.
this is to say you know nothing about Libertas Christian Schools? (no response requested)
0 x

UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:00 pm
Ken wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:40 pm I have friends who have their kids here: https://liveoakclassical.com/

this is to say you know nothing about Libertas Christian Schools? (no response requested)
You quoted an article which stated: "During the 1990s, families in about 100 communities across the United States started classical Christian schools with the hope of offering an education that would assist parents in raising their children in the paideia of the Lord."

And then you asked about "these schools" not about one specific school in rural Michigan that I doubt anyone here is actually familiar with.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Ken wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:19 pm
temporal1 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:00 pm

You quoted an article which stated: "During the 1990s, families in about 100 communities across the United States started classical Christian schools with the hope of offering an education that would assist parents in raising their children in the paideia of the Lord."

And then you asked about "these schools" not about one specific school in rural Michigan that I doubt anyone here is actually familiar with.
if i was unclear about the topic, i hoped my response would be sufficient to clarify.
i understand LCS as not limited to Michigan, thus, my words, “these (LCS) schools.”

in general, i’d prefer not to see union school teachers’ responses on the first 4 pages of this topic.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:27 pm
Ken wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:19 pm
temporal1 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:00 pm this is to say you know nothing about Libertas Christian Schools? (no response requested)

if i was unclear about the topic, i hoped my response would be sufficient to clarify.
i understand LCS as not limited to Michigan, thus, my words, “these (LCS) schools.”

in general, i’d prefer not to see union school teachers’ responses on the first 4 pages of this topic.
I followed your link. Libertas Cristian School is just one single school of about 250 students in Hudsonville MI (outside of Grand Rapids). There are lots of other Christian classical schools around the country but they are all independent and have different names. There is an association of classical schools that has hundreds of members around the country.

Did you want to talk about that one school in rural Michigan? Or classical schools in general?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I met a couple teachers and administrators who teach in "classical schools" at a Catholic conference a month ago. Quite interesting people, and seemed like very good educators. That seems to be the zeitgeist of where conservative/traditionalist Catholics like to send their children.
1 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:47 pm I met a couple teachers and administrators who teach in "classical schools" at a Catholic conference a month ago.

Quite interesting people, and seemed like very good educators.
That seems to be the zeitgeist of where conservative/traditionalist Catholics like to send their children.
Thanks.
That word, “classical,” has me wondering. The Catholic school my family was involved with used the word, “liberal” education -
i’m not suggesting i understand clearly, but i believe, and hope, they’re using the word in a non-political sense.

From what i gathered reading the LCS website, “classical” seems to refer to what i would understand as traditional.
But, actually, the way the Catholic school we experienced used the word “liberal” also seemed traditional??

Maybe Max will see this and respond, too. i’m just beginning to learn about LCS. Thus, the topic. lol

That is one specific question i have about it.
In Catholic/Christian education, what is meant by liberal versus classical approach?

i’m not interested in the best guesses or even copy+pastes of union school teachers. :?
there are 4800+ other forum topics.
0 x

UNKNOWN