Teach this.

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Teach this.

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:23 pm
Ken wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:23 am I had to click through the link to read ..
Ken,
sorry to trouble you.
could you request your posts be moved to start another topic on how to acquire student loans, or other?

i’m sorry to have tempted a bunny trail with the extreme OP links. i apologize.
i was pretty sure those reports would be recognized as extreme without deliberation.

this topic is meant to focus on BASICS in math, esp avoidance of debt and why it’s important, how to handle checkbooks, those sorts of things. about how Christians view money+debt, important matters in scriptures.

your post is interesting, about how to avoid egregious debt, but, justifying debt, nonetheless.
I’m not trying to justify $300k in student debt. I think that is absolutely insane except for maybe a medical degree. A newly minted surgeon could pay that off in 2 years without breaking a sweat. I’m just trying to understand/explain how someone could foolishly get to $300k in student debt and only have a teaching degree to show for it. That involves a whole cascade of foolish decisions. I don’t doubt the veracity of the story. But it has to involve a whole lot of foolish decisions that aren’t detailed in the story.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Ken wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:10 pm
temporal1 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:23 pm
Ken wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:23 am I had to click through the link to read ..
Ken,
sorry to trouble you.
could you request your posts be moved to start another topic on how to acquire student loans, or other?

i was pretty sure those reports would be recognized as extreme without deliberation.

this topic is meant to focus on BASICS in math, esp avoidance of debt and why it’s important, how to handle checkbooks, those sorts of things. about how Christians view money+debt, important matters in scriptures.

your post is interesting, about how to avoid egregious debt, but, justifying debt, nonetheless.
I’m not trying to justify $300k in student debt. :?

I think that is absolutely insane except for maybe a medical degree. A newly minted surgeon could pay that off in 2 years without breaking a sweat. I’m just trying to understand/explain how someone could foolishly get to $300k in student debt and only have a teaching degree to show for it. That involves a whole cascade of foolish decisions. I don’t doubt the veracity of the story. But it has to involve a whole lot of foolish decisions that aren’t detailed in the story.

i didn’t suggest you were trying to justify those reports. who would?
you added a tutorial in how to avoid egregious debt. that’s fine. but off topic.
it’s a worthwhile topic. the idea of reasonable or justifiable debt. it’s not the topic here.

this topic is much more rudimentary. avoiding debt, and why it’s important.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:22 pm
Ken wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:10 pm
temporal1 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:23 pm Ken,
sorry to trouble you.

I’m not trying to justify $300k in student debt. :?

I think that is absolutely insane except for maybe a medical degree. A newly minted surgeon could pay that off in 2 years without breaking a sweat. I’m just trying to understand/explain how someone could foolishly get to $300k in student debt and only have a teaching degree to show for it. That involves a whole cascade of foolish decisions. I don’t doubt the veracity of the story. But it has to involve a whole lot of foolish decisions that aren’t detailed in the story.

i didn’t suggest you were trying to justify those reports. who would?
you added a tutorial in how to avoid egregious debt. that’s fine. but off topic.
it’s a worthwhile topic. the idea of reasonable or justifiable debt. it’s not the topic here.

this topic is much more rudimentary. avoiding debt, and why it’s important.
I would be curious to know how many adults here on this forum have lived their entire lives without ever taking on any debt of any kind. No credit cards or lines of credit. No mortgages. No car loans. No student loans. No installment payments. No business loans or business lines of credit. No farm loans or farm credit. No borrowing from family. Just paid cash for every transaction their entire lives.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1

.. whatever you say, Ken. Re: Teach this.

Post by temporal1 »

.. perhaps before beginning a new topic, i’ll PM you for instructions+directions, to avoid wasted time. carry on. :yawn: :arrow:
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

💵 “THE TALK.” 💵

OP without distracting flashy links:
temporal1 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:43 pm Whether parents, churches, home schools, private schools, public schools, or any combination thereof,
why aren’t students learning BASIC MATH that will PREVENT egregious debt - BEFORE they ever hold down a full time job?

1968:
My first full-time job: $.95/hour working in the office of a local bakery. (No car. My mother drove me to work.)
My first loan: $100 borrowed from a local bank to buy a portable standard typewriter. (not electric)
Credit cards did not exist.
Definitely NOT for anyone who did not have a current job, and credit history. Very difficult to get a loan.

Bankers were the security guards on money. They required strict accountability.

i don’t recall the payments. i made every one on time, it felt like it took FOREVER to pay that loan.

Valuable lesson. ^^^ Easy to borrow, hard to repay.

- - - - - - - -

2009:
My 2 year old granddaughter received her first unsecured credit card offer.

This is not ok. It’s a form of economic slavery. Indentured slavery.

If teachers cannot handle their own budgets, should they be trusted to teach students? What will they teach?- -Where to get loans?!
No one can teach what they do not know.

When i was helping with high school Sunday school classes, we bought some Christian texts on money, credit, checking accounts, etc.
We WARNED about unsecured credit card offers.

This thread is to discuss what students NEED to be taught. Before 18.

Money Matters for Teens
https://www.christianbook.com/money-mat ... 7/pd/46361

This is from the series we used, for middle school and high school. There may be better.
Our goal was to initiate the discussion. Most students said their parents had not discussed checking accounts or anything.

💵 “THE TALK.” 💵
0 x

UNKNOWN