Milk Soap

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Milk Soap

Post by Szdfan »

So I just had a moment. We’re in the middle of a goat swap. Our friend wants to transition to mini-La Manchas that are a cross with Nigerian Dwarfs. My wife wants to transition to full-since La Manchas that are registered and could be shown at 4H, etc.

The goat we received today produced half a gallon of milk and she’s currently feeding three kids. We’re going to have extra milk.

So I was looking for goat milk soap recipes…and, well, I found this:

https://tweakandtinker.net/how-to-make- ... milk-soap/

:shock:
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Szdfan

Re: Milk Soap

Post by Szdfan »

I just had a friend respond that breast milk soap is pretty common. Who? Who is making soap out of breast milk? I believe people are doing this, but common?
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

I'm following this thread not because I know the slightest thing about milk soap, but because I'm now curious about the answer.

How hard is it to make goat cheese? Is that one way to absorb surplus milk?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

Ken wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:07 pm I'm following this thread not because I know the slightest thing about milk soap, but because I'm now curious about the answer.

How hard is it to make goat cheese? Is that one way to absorb surplus milk?
It depends on the cheese and yes, it is one way to absorb surplus milk. We've been rather successful with chevre, but have had trouble mastering other types. Yogurt has worked pretty well.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

I had neighbors who milked goats. He put a block of ice right in the milk bucket, he said it eliminated musky taste. I think he made cheese as well.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Perhaps Ohio is behind the times, but I can attest that nobody here has heard of “breast milk soap”.

The current trend around here is to not use soap at all.
No soap, no shampoo, and now I find out no check use deodorants (“rock salt” based deodorant instead). I thought it was just a few of my friends but it’s apparently quite mainstream now.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:21 pm Perhaps Ohio is behind the times, but I can attest that nobody here has heard of “breast milk soap”.

The current trend around here is to not use soap at all.
No soap, no shampoo, and now I find out no check use deodorants (“rock salt” based deodorant instead). I thought it was just a few of my friends but it’s apparently quite mainstream now.
No soap? No shampoo? No deodorant? = No friends :wave:

We only use homemade soap not ours) or all natural.

Curious what you're talking about Josh.

Love goat milk soap too
0 x