Campground Ramblings

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Campground Ramblings

Post by MaxPC »

Forgot to say: keeping you all in prayers for a safe holiday season and a New Year full of God's blessings.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

I'm enjoying the charitable sharing of doctrine and practice on the board's threads.
:dance:
:up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Broke my computer fast to post an inspiring message from Peter and Susan Hoover of Rocky Cape, Tasmania. It quite touched my heart. If I had enough years left I wouldn't mind going to their community and spending a year learning. They seem to be thriving.

I also felt moved to post a link to a positive story over at the ministry to single mother's thread. There is hope indeed for the coming year.

That's me back to my computer fast. Will 'see' you all after New Year's Day.
:wave: :pray :dance:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

We had a surprise Christmas card from the folks at Gatlinburg. They thanked us for our help. It seems they sent these cards to everyone who helped out in any capacity. It reminds me of the old saying about true grace is never overshadowed by disaster.

RVs aren't well insulated. The living space is small so we use a small electric space heater to help out the furnace and reduce the amount of LP the furnace uses. The electrical cost is part of the camping rate so that's helpful. The most troublesome part of maintaining interior temps has to do with the windows which aren't well insulated. My wife solved that problem with insulated curtains she made to size. The cab is also cold and the walk through exposes the living space to those temps so she covered it with another insulated curtain. All in all we're snug.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

MaxPC wrote:We had a surprise Christmas card from the folks at Gatlinburg. They thanked us for our help. It seems they sent these cards to everyone who helped out in any capacity. It reminds me of the old saying about true grace is never overshadowed by disaster.

RVs aren't well insulated. The living space is small so we use a small electric space heater to help out the furnace and reduce the amount of LP the furnace uses. The electrical cost is part of the camping rate so that's helpful. The most troublesome part of maintaining interior temps has to do with the windows which aren't well insulated. My wife solved that problem with insulated curtains she made to size. The cab is also cold and the walk through exposes the living space to those temps so she covered it with another insulated curtain. All in all we're snug.
Time to move to a warmer climate in the Winter?
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

This year, the finances need to recover and "moving" costs extra $$. We're snug and we're near family. In fact we've been considering getting a "park model" RV when it's time to set up our dawdy house and get off the road. With all those we've lost this year, it's getting to the point that there are fewer folks to visit: that and at 80 years old I need to be thinking about settling in again.

Here's a link to what a park model looks like.
https://www.parkmodelsdirect.com/
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

MaxPC wrote:This year, the finances need to recover and "moving" costs extra $$. We're snug and we're near family. In fact we've been considering getting a "park model" RV when it's time to set up our dawdy house and get off the road. With all those we've lost this year, it's getting to the point that there are fewer folks to visit: that and at 80 years old I need to be thinking about settling in again.

Here's a link to what a park model looks like.
https://www.parkmodelsdirect.com/
Lots to choose from.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Night before last, a steady winter wind kept extinguishing the pilot light on the furnace. For reasons of exhaust, the unit is located on the mh exterior. As they age, accumulated rust and other issues make it difficult to stay lit in the gentlest of breezes.

Yesterday I inspected and cleaned out the chimney and cleared the gas tubing. Then went to the hardware store to buy a piece of flashing and two screws. I attached the flashing to the furnace door to act as a wind block. Last night was a peaceful night: I didn't have to go outside and relight the pilot light at all.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

What on earth is a "dawdy house"?

Is this a way to spell PA German "Grossdaddy Haus"?
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:What on earth is a "dawdy house"?

Is this a way to spell PA German "Grossdaddy Haus"?
The phrase is used in various places on the Internet. I'm guessing that's where Max got it from, I doubt that he speaks or understands Deitsch. (FWIW, I don't speak it either, I generally understand it because it is similar to various German dialects, but I'm definitely not Pennsylvania Dutch.)
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?