Campground Ramblings

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Campground Ramblings

Post by Bootstrap »

gcdonner wrote:
Haystack wrote:It's not uncommon to have to wait for a flock of turkeys to cross the road here. They tend to take their time or just stand in the middle of the road for 5 minutes. It can be quite dangerous sometimes.
If you beep the horn and start moving towards them they usually will move. You really are insulting someone when you call them a turkey. They can be pretty dumb animals. We have raised a few in the past...
These sound a lot easier to shoot than the wild turkeys I remember growing up.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Crows are flying low: rain is moving into the area. They are a rowdy lot, waking up the entire campground this morning. One man likened their racket to teen parties. He must have had bad experiences with those :lol:

Yesterday afternoon, we piled into the cars and visited an apiary. Our children want to start beehives and were information gathering. It's not a cheap venture to be sure. I kept thinking about Appleman's orchards while there so I said a prayer he had a top notch harvest this year.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

We're safe but on the other side of the mountains TN has towns burning from wildfires.

We're getting good rainfall. It was a good day for a two hour nap. This old bear hibernated :lol:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Gatlinburg update: the confirmed death toll is now 13, nearly all of whom burned alive. Truly tragic! :shock:

They expect the toll to rise as there are still many who are missing.

Dolly Parton announced she's giving $1000/month for 6 months to each and every displaced family. When asked why she said in her familiar TN mountain accent: "Because they're my people."

God bless her.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

MaxPC wrote:Gatlinburg update: the confirmed death toll is now 13, nearly all of whom burned alive. Truly tragic! :shock:

They expect the toll to rise as there are still many who are missing.

Dolly Parton announced she's giving $1000/month for 6 months to each and every displaced family. When asked why she said in her familiar TN mountain accent: "Because they're my people."

God bless her.
if not for your posts, i would know nothing of this wildfire.
it's been going on since early November?
terrible loss of life. terrifying.
continuing prayers.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Yes indeed; the tragedy is especially difficult as most of the businesses in Gatlinburg are family businesses and the sole source of income for many. My wife knows the city manager who also lost her home in the fires and so we have a connection of friendship. The mayor lost his too.

Dollywood is the largest employer and they make it a point to hire only locals as Dolly Partin wanted to provide jobs for "her people" in the mountains. Until Gatlinburg and Dollywood created a tourism industry, the poverty and substance abuse problems in that area were rampant. As one individual was quoted: "We're a tough people. We'll rebuild."

You can keep on top of their breaking news at this link.
http://www.wbir.com/mb/news/local/gatli ... /357912872
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

thank you for the local link, most helpful.
i shared it with my west coast family, asked if they knew of it.

it might be good to add it to your prayer request thread.
details help with prayers.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote:We bagged one wild turkey and three deer Saturday. Turkey were plentiful earlier this year but they're sparse now. We ate the turkey yesterday. The cooks canned the deer into venison stew as well as vacuum-sealed meat for our freezers. We are blessed!

More family time today and most and the travellers will return home tomorrow. Then we'll all have to rest from our reunion. :lol:
Would you care to post any pictures of all of this?
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Josh wrote:
MaxPC wrote:We bagged one wild turkey and three deer Saturday. Turkey were plentiful earlier this year but they're sparse now. We ate the turkey yesterday. The cooks canned the deer into venison stew as well as vacuum-sealed meat for our freezers. We are blessed!

More family time today and most and the travellers will return home tomorrow. Then we'll all have to rest from our reunion. :lol:
Would you care to post any pictures of all of this?
Why?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote:Why?
Why not?
0 x