Campground Ramblings

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: Campground Ramblings

Post by gcdonner »

silentreader wrote:
Josh wrote:One of the PA Dutch-speaking ministers in Hartville built a house for his dad (also a minister), which he calls "mom and dad's house" when speaking English, as he tends to do when taking to other English speaking people.

I guess some of us non-native-Dutch speakers can start using Dutch on MN. Alles isht gut.
As Max said, it is Deitsch, IT IS NOT DUTCH!!!! Sorry, I'm a bit OCD about that.
OCD? Don't you mean touchy? :mrgreen:
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Let's be kind to each other, shall we?

This afternoon my wife and I started remembering some of the Deitsch we had learned and laughed because most of it had to do with:
1. Food
2. Domestic phrases.

For fun here's a few we had for the past 48 hours. Those of you who know some of it will be able to understand :lol:

Tonight we had frischi wascht mit himmel und erde for supper.

We had a troublesome "schnell geiste" night before last.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

MaxPC wrote:Let's be kind to each other, shall we?

This afternoon my wife and I started remembering some of the Deitsch we had learned and laughed because most of it had to do with:
1. Food
2. Domestic phrases.

For fun here's a few we had for the past 48 hours. Those of you who know some of it will be able to understand :lol:

I love frischi vascht, but I'm not familiar with himmel und erde as food.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

silent reader wrote:I love frischi vascht, but I'm not familiar with himmel und erde as food.
I've had something called that in Germany ... two different things, actually ... and it turns out that Wikipedia mentions both of them here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himmel_und_Erde
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

gcdonner wrote:
Josh wrote:What on earth is a "dawdy house"?

Is this a way to spell PA German "Grossdaddy Haus"?
It depends on where you are what they call them...Not all Amish or Mennonite are created equal! :mrgreen:
I definitely notice differences between the Deitsch I heard in Pennsylvania and Indiana and the Deitsch I heard at an Amish store in Kentucky. It seems to have regional differences. Can someone who knows more describe these differences?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

silentreader wrote:

1. Food
2. Domestic phrases.

The way my wife makes himmel und erde (heaven and earth), she keeps it simple by frying up the wascht/vascht first and in the drippings she adds sliced onion, apples and potatoes. She cooks them until they start to brown. :D

The smells are enticing and tends to draw the neighbors in the campground when she cooks it on the campfire because the smells are "heavenly".
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

MaxPC wrote:
silentreader wrote:

1. Food
2. Domestic phrases.

The way my wife makes himmel und erde (heaven and earth), she keeps it simple by frying up the wascht/vascht first and in the drippings she adds sliced onion, apples and potatoes. She cooks them until they start to brown. :D

The smells are enticing and tends to draw the neighbors in the campground when she cooks it on the campfire because the smells are "heavenly".
What is "wascht/vascht"?
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

gcdonner wrote:
MaxPC wrote:
silentreader wrote:

What is "wascht/vascht"?
It's sausage and 'frischi' means 'fresh'. It's a delicious and simple dish. :up:

Time for Bible and bed.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

gcdonner wrote:
MaxPC wrote:
silentreader wrote:

What is "wascht/vascht"?
Around here, (Midwestern Ontario), It would be link sausage or farmer's sausage, usually made with pure pork, I have also had some made with bear and deer.
I see Max replied at the same time.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

MaxPC wrote: It's sausage and 'frischi' means 'fresh'. It's a delicious and simple dish. :up:

Time for Bible and bed.
I hope you aren't eating them? :laugh
0 x