Campground Ramblings

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Campground Ramblings

Post by MaxPC »

gcdonner wrote:
MaxPC wrote:Sounds like one of my days, GC. At 81 I'm still unable to slow down. Traveling mercies be with you.
Thank you, Max. I'm a few years younger than you at 68 and happy to be able to still go.
Every day walking with the Lord is a blessing!
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Speaking of information rage: more and more we are seeing campers "plugged in" rather than hiking or interacting with others IRL. One means of outreach is just saying "hello", with a smile. It seems to relax people.
One word with a smile.
Costs nothing but is worth everything.
:D
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

It took nearly two hours to drive to a colleague's office to do the video conference. Just made it home an hour ago so I'm off to bed even though it's only 9:40. This Bunny's battery doesn't keep going and going...
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

After spending a better part of the day on the phone yesterday for this project, I've spent the morning helping the camp ranger. July 4th campers are already arriving and a good number of them are novices so our time has been spent helping back-ins, helping with shoreline connections, and in general being both a go-to and a go-fer. I enjoy my life. :lol:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Don't have too much time online for the next few weeks. We've been absolutely nonstop here. The professional ethics project for academics is taking off in unexpected ways: the time is ripe it seems. My local colleague is paying for my plane ticket so that we can both fly out to a real time meeting together next week. I had better wear my best suspenders and get a haircut. :lol:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

We'll be leaving tomorrow for our "group-think" at a colleague's house. We hope to get excellent progress in the planning/organization by our return on Saturday evening.

This won't be a commercial product. When it comes to academia, projects like these impact the culture of the campuses and the BORs. In laymen's terms, it's a grassroots project in which peerage and mentoring play a vital role; just as Christianity in the First Century impacted the culture wherever it spread. Those kinds of efforts are more impactful than a packaged product. If you don't mind, please pray for this effort to bring civilized behaviors and discussion back to academia's public forum. At the very least we have to try.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Made it here safely. Now the intense committee work begins. Later. :wave:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

It was quite a productive meetup. We've tripled in numbers with active professors inviting other active professors. Professional behaviors and civility are still valued. Listening to the old retirees gave the 'still actives' some direction and goals to spread those values. We also exchanged phone numbers and emails to continue supporting and advising.

Drop a pebble in the water and make a wave :dance:

I'm tired but it's a good tired from being able to be useful at least one more time. God blesses.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Summer heat is more wearing on me these days. I have to get all my outside work in before 9:30 am. Today is motorhome maintenance day. Taking it in to the RV place for a systems check and fluids as needed. I do this about every two years and it heads off a lot of problems before they appear. So our breakfast is done. My wife has the dishes cleared and we're on our way.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

We're helping to plant the Fall garden with the usual brassicas and garlic.

We're preparing for next Saturday when we have the whole family of children, grand children, and in a couple of cases great grandchildren come to the campground for what we've named the One Big Birthday Party the first Saturday in August. Eating, talking, fishing, paddle boating, swimming and playing at the playground according to each one's interests is the main theme. They will celebrate their individual birthdays at home on the appropriate day.

We began doing the One Big Birthday Party when we started full-timing almost ten years ago. We had trouble coordinating our trips to be there on their actual birthdays. Gifts are not expensive because family is the focus. For the grandchildren we give school supplies. For the adults we'll give a new pair of suspenders for the men and my wife makes new kapps for women.

I'm looking forward to it. :dance:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)