Campground Ramblings

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Re: Campground Ramblings

Post by lesterb »

Josh wrote:What on earth is a "dawdy house"?

Is this a way to spell PA German "Grossdaddy Haus"?
We always called them dawdy houses in Ontario.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

lesterb wrote:

We always called them dawdy houses in Ontario.
That's what we call them in PA as well.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

ken_sylvania wrote:
lesterb wrote: We always called them dawdy houses in Ontario.
That's what we call them in PA as well.
My Amish friends use that term as well. I've been privileged to learn some of their Pennsilfaanisch Deitsch, just bits and phrases. Suffice to say though my Italian is much more fluent. :lol:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

One of the PA Dutch-speaking ministers in Hartville built a house for his dad (also a minister), which he calls "mom and dad's house" when speaking English, as he tends to do when taking to other English speaking people.

I guess some of us non-native-Dutch speakers can start using Dutch on MN. Alles isht gut.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Josh wrote:One of the PA Dutch-speaking ministers in Hartville built a house for his dad (also a minister), which he calls "mom and dad's house" when speaking English, as he tends to do when taking to other English speaking people.

I guess some of us non-native-Dutch speakers can start using Dutch on MN. Alles isht gut.
As Max said, it is Deitsch, IT IS NOT DUTCH!!!! Sorry, I'm a bit OCD about that.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Everyone I know who talks PA Dutch calls the language "Dutch" when speaking English. I am a descriptivist, not a prescriptivist, so I go along with this. If I say "Pennsylvanian German" I get odd looks, and people in Ohio insist they speak it differently than they do in Pennsylvania.

I have one exception: a schoolmistress who corrects everyone whenever they say Dutch (she is a champion of the language and taught her non-Dutch daughter in law to speak it along with grandkids). I think everyone just humours her.

If we get a big influx of folks from the Netherlands to northeast Ohio, this situation may change...
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Josh wrote:Everyone I know who talks PA Dutch calls the language "Dutch" when speaking English. I am a descriptivist, not a prescriptivist, so I go along with this. If I say "Pennsylvanian German" I get odd looks, and people in Ohio insist they speak it differently than they do in Pennsylvania.

I have one exception: a schoolmistress who corrects everyone whenever they say Dutch (she is a champion of the language and taught her non-Dutch daughter in law to speak it along with grandkids). I think everyone just humours her.

If we get a big influx of folks from the Netherlands to northeast Ohio, this situation may change...
In my experience, most people don't know the difference, and don't care.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

MaxPC wrote:My Amish friends use that term as well. I've been privileged to learn some of their Pennsilfaanisch Deitsch, just bits and phrases. Suffice to say though my Italian is much more fluent. :lol:
I'd love to have some way to verify this kind of story, given the pictures on your website.

Or better yet, why not avoid using phrases in Deitsch? To me, at least, it comes across as phony, since it's obviously not your background, and it sounds like you are pretending to be something you are not.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

silentreader wrote: In my experience, most people don't know the difference, and don't care.
:up:

Back to the topic of camping :mrgreen:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

It depends on where you are what they call them...Not all Amish or Mennonite are created equal! :mrgreen:
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth