Campground Ramblings

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Campground Ramblings

Post by MaxPC »

gcdonner wrote:
MaxPC wrote:We have 6" of powder-like snow on the ground this morning. The temps have finally reached 30 F so we're going for a walk. My wife loves the snow :dance:
We are having a heat wave, our temps were 2° above zero this morning. Ice skates are needed for our driveway...
:shock:
Now THAT's cold :!:

We enjoyed our walk. Now it's time for venison chili. We need an icon for yum.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

We're getting Spring weather this week perhaps as early as tomorrow. The temperatures are predicted in the 40s and 50s. Hard to believe when we still have snow on the ground. Looks like the forecast is warmer with a chance for mud (snowmelt).

We spent last night and the night before at the children's house. I helped chop and split more wood. My wife worked on sewing and helping to create some home remedies like her apple cider vinegar tonic and cough medicine. We've been blessed with few ailments so far in this flu season. Thank you, Lord.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Raw, chilly, muddy but much warmer. So we're cutting wood.

This afternoon we're all going into town to stock up. The first post-snow rush to the stores has abated and before there's another snow predicted, we'll stock up.
Shopping list
-SPAM: (the canned meat not the computer variety). My wife doesn't like it but I crave it every now and then. At my age I get the low sodium version. I like to put a slice in the pan with bacon for my wife so we're both accommodated. I think I'll pick up a few tins this time.

-toilet paper: nuff said :lol:

-oranges

-aluminum foil

-bread for my SPAM sandwiches

-coffee and tea

-milk

The chickens at the homestead produced enough eggs for us.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

MaxPC wrote:Raw, chilly, muddy but much warmer. So we're cutting wood.

This afternoon we're all going into town to stock up. The first post-snow rush to the stores has abated and before there's another snow predicted, we'll stock up.
Shopping list
-SPAM: (the canned meat not the computer variety). My wife doesn't like it but I crave it every now and then. At my age I get the low sodium version. I like to put a slice in the pan with bacon for my wife so we're both accommodated. I think I'll pick up a few tins this time.

-toilet paper: nuff said :lol:

-oranges

-aluminum foil

-bread for my SPAM sandwiches

-coffee and tea

-milk

The chickens at the homestead produced enough eggs for us.
The home of Spam is about 30 miles south of me in Austin, MN. You can smell it as you drive by the city on rte 90...
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

GC, does it make you hungry? I wonder if they also have a SPAM museum? I'd think that would be interesting 8-)

I like my SPAM sandwich with horseradish and mayonnaise. I wonder if there's a SPAM cooking contest? Which brings up another question: do Mennonites compete in contests?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

MaxPC wrote:GC, does it make you hungry? I wonder if they also have a SPAM museum? I'd think that would be interesting 8-)

I like my SPAM sandwich with horseradish and mayonnaise. I wonder if there's a SPAM cooking contest? Which brings up another question: do Mennonites compete in contests?
I know that they do have a Spam museum and I expect that during their Summer festival they also have Spam cooking contests.
The smell is not specifically "Spam" and depending on your stomach at that time of day, it might not draw you in...
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

gcdonner wrote: I know that they do have a Spam museum and I expect that during their Summer festival they also have Spam cooking contests.
The smell is not specifically "Spam" and depending on your stomach at that time of day, it might not draw you in...
That would be worth a visit :up:

What does it smell like?
On one of our trips we passed a gum factory that smelled like Juicy Fruit. Fantastic!

The worst smell we ever experienced (outside of dead skunks) was some of the refineries in Texas City, TX. The sulfur smelled like rotten eggs. Even with the windows closed and the AC on interior air it still came inside.:o
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

MaxPC wrote:
gcdonner wrote: I know that they do have a Spam museum and I expect that during their Summer festival they also have Spam cooking contests.
That would be worth a visit :up:

What does it smell like?
On one of our trips we passed a gum factory that smelled like Juicy Fruit. Fantastic!

The worst smell we ever experienced (outside of dead skunks) was some of the refineries in Texas City, TX. The sulfur smelled like rotten eggs. Even with the windows closed and the AC on interior air it still came inside.:o
Well, we have a corn to diesel plant about 7 miles from us and when we drive by it has a very sweet smell to it.
I haven't been down to Austin for a long time (several years) so it would be hard for me to tell you what it smells like from recent experience. Sorry about that.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Some of those places incinerate the waste. If they do that it probably smells of cremation.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

One of the more interesting aspects of roaming in the motorhome is the variety of people we meet. In campgrounds, there tends to be fewer facades and more informal interactions. Around a campfire, people open up their thoughts and share more freely. It genuinely emphasizes that people are not political stereotypes and are individuals in their own right.

Lesbian gun owners and gun club members.
Country boys who would never own a gun.
People who have large families of children and are politically liberal.
People with small families who are against abortion.

God cannot be surpassed in His creativity. :D
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)