Campground Ramblings

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Campground Ramblings

Post by temporal1 »

Neto wrote:
temporal1 wrote:i miss Max’s ramblings, would enjoy them continuing, even sans campground. :)

Neto, you remind me of an experienced snowmobiling friend we had in Vermont. His advice was, “Never drive out further than you’re willing and able to WALK back.” :shock:

This is sage advice for all sorts of adventurers. :D
I just remember the time I hiked through the jungle with several of the Indian men for 9 hours (to give a man a penicillin shot), and then thought about how I would have to repeat the trip the next day. (We didn't have any kind of stove. I carried water, a bag of rice, and a couple cans of sardines, and of course a nylon hammock.) Rained most of the day going. It was almost dark when we got to where the sick man was - a thatched roof house with no walls and a dirt floor. I held a flashlight under one arm while I mixed the penicillin and gave him the shot. It was cold at night with no blanket, and hearing the jaguar some place out there didn't help any, either. Gave him another shot in the morning, watched him for a while to be sure he wasn't going to have a reaction, then two of us started back. Took 10 hours, with me hobbling along with two stick to keep from falling over - bad knees. :shock:
Walking down flooded trails with water half way up to your knees and stepping over huge fallen logs has a way of doing you in (or at least it did me).

We stopped some where around noon, and split a can of sardines. Mixed in some farinha (manioc meal - look it up) to soak up the oil. I gave him the can, and I used a leaf for a plate. (The others carried the sick man back to the village several days later - in a hammock tied to a long pole, taking turns carrying him, and cutting a new, more direct trail as they went.)

But hiking in some place in the winter would be another story. I do not do well in the cold.
What an experience. Did your patient recover? Return home?
My mother suffered with bad knees for years. Agonizing pain.
i’m blessed so far to be ok with knees. i don’t take it for granted.

somehow, manioc (root) is in my vocabulary as a tropical staple. not sure it was from public ed or later, but, somehow.

snowmobilers can break down, get stuck, far from help. in areas where snow may be 6’ deep, it can quickly become problematic. carry snowshoes, i guess.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Neto wrote: I just remember the time I hiked through the jungle with several of the Indian men for 9 hours (to give a man a penicillin shot), and then thought about how I would have to repeat the trip the next day. (We didn't have any kind of stove. I carried water, a bag of rice, and a couple cans of sardines, and of course a nylon hammock.) Rained most of the day going. It was almost dark when we got to where the sick man was - a thatched roof house with no walls and a dirt floor. I held a flashlight under one arm while I mixed the penicillin and gave him the shot. It was cold at night with no blanket, and hearing the jaguar some place out there didn't help any, either. Gave him another shot in the morning, watched him for a while to be sure he wasn't going to have a reaction, then two of us started back. Took 10 hours, with me hobbling along with two stick to keep from falling over - bad knees. Walking down flooded trails with water half way up to your knees and stepping over huge fallen logs has a way of doing you in (or at least it did me). We stopped some where around noon, and split a can of sardines. Mixed in some farinha (manioc meal - look it up) to soak up the oil. I gave him the can, and I used a leaf for a plate. (The others carried the sick man back to the village several days later - in a hammock tied to a long pole, taking turns carrying him, and cutting a new, more direct trail as they went.)

But hiking in some place in the winter would be another story. I do not do well in the cold.
Neto, I still think you should be writing a book about your time there. Truly.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Campground days are over? ..
It would be nice to read about how you’re doing these days? -

And, Scotland.
You mention Scotland now+then. You grew up there? Left at age?? Visited?

Continue .. rambling?? :D
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN