Campground Ramblings

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Campground Ramblings

Post by MaxPC »

temporal1 wrote: i have not heard that little diddy in years.
we had a highly abbreviated version, the words did not go beyond, “i think i’ll eat some worms,” no need for all the gory details! .. ours was a cappella. :mrgreen:
Careful now. We don't want to give politicians ideas to try to drum up votes with laws against worm cruelty. :mrgreen: :P
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

MaxPC wrote: When they started to discuss it, one of the younger grandchildren started singing the Worm Song complete with the body action. :lol:
[video][/video]
It's Tuesday and the Worm Song is still going strong. They're sent outside to sing it so it doesn't cause too much grief. I remember in my childhood how the brothers would try to aggravate the sisters with "gross stuff" like frogs and snakes. The grandchild that started this round of the Worm Song is doing it to aggravate her brothers who've been known to play pranks on their sisters. Her sisters join in the singalong and I think the boys have learned to back off.
:lol:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

It's Holy Week for us. The grandchildren are participating in some of the liturgies as lectors and singers. We helped by taking some of them to their rehearsals and to get their new Easter shoes earlier this week. There were some nearly new shoes at the thrift store that fit well.

There will be a ham this year. It will be smoked on Saturday. Stuffed eggs are part of the traditional dinner too. We don't buy any of the candies that seem so popular but the children and grandchildren do set up an Easter egg hunt on Saturday and exchange homemade cards. The rest of the time is spent at church for all the liturgies of the Holy Triduum.

We pray all have a blessed week.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

MaxPC wrote:It's Holy Week for us. The grandchildren are participating in some of the liturgies as lectors and singers. We helped by taking some of them to their rehearsals and to get their new Easter shoes earlier this week. There were some nearly new shoes at the thrift store that fit well.

There will be a ham this year. It will be smoked on Saturday. Stuffed eggs are part of the traditional dinner too. We don't buy any of the candies that seem so popular but the children and grandchildren do set up an Easter egg hunt on Saturday and exchange homemade cards. The rest of the time is spent at church for all the liturgies of the Holy Triduum.

This is holy week for all of us, I expect. Can you explain to me why ham is the meat of choice to celebrate the sacrifice of the Lamb of God? Seems to be a slap in the face of our Savior, to me.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

gcdonner wrote:
MaxPC wrote:It's Holy Week for us. The grandchildren are participating in some of the liturgies as lectors and singers. We helped by taking some of them to their rehearsals and to get their new Easter shoes earlier this week. There were some nearly new shoes at the thrift store that fit well.

This is holy week for all of us, I expect. Can you explain to me why ham is the meat of choice to celebrate the sacrifice of the Lamb of God? Seems to be a slap in the face of our Savior, to me.
I'm not sure how the ham would be a slap in Jesus' face? Can you help me with understanding this?

The ham we're having was on sale for 78 cents/lb and has no symbolic significance outside of its culinary role. Lamb is very expensive so budget-wise, ham or turkey has always made more sense for big meals with plenty of folks. Do you have a traditional meat for Easter, George?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

MaxPC wrote:
gcdonner wrote:

I'm not sure how the ham would be a slap in Jesus' face? Can you help me with understanding this?

The ham we're having was on sale for 78 cents/lb and has no symbolic significance outside of its culinary role. Lamb is very expensive so budget-wise, ham or turkey has always made more sense for big meals with plenty of folks. Do you have a traditional meat for Easter, George?
Jesus was a Jew, and ham was an abomination to them. It seems that in respect to who he was as a man and to the people to whom he first came we would avoid things that would be an offense. He was the Passover Lamb, not the Easter Ham...
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

gcdonner wrote: Jesus was a Jew, and ham was an abomination to them. It seems that in respect to who he was as a man and to the people to whom he first came we would avoid things that would be an offense. He was the Passover Lamb, not the Easter Ham...
I think I understand where you're coming from now. In Catholic World we see that certain Jewish rules and traditions were nullified by Christ's words in the Gospels with the most detailed account being Luke 5:36-39. In Matthew 15 Jesus also said:
10 And he called the people to him and said to them, “Hear and understand: 11 it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.”[/u]

Also we view Chapters 10 & 11 in Acts as a further example of God "removing former barriers" about prohibited people and customs.

At least that's how we Catholics view it. YMMV. :D
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

gcdonner wrote: Jesus was a Jew, and ham was an abomination to them. It seems that in respect to who he was as a man and to the people to whom he first came we would avoid things that would be an offense. He was the Passover Lamb, not the Easter Ham...
I think I understand where you're coming from now. In Catholic World we see that certain Jewish rules and traditions were nullified by Christ's words in the Gospels with the most detailed account being Luke 5:36-39. In Matthew 15 Jesus also said:
10 And he called the people to him and said to them, “Hear and understand: 11 it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.”
Also we view Chapters 10 & 11 in Acts as a further example of God "removing former barriers" about prohibited people and customs.

0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

MaxPC wrote:
10 And he called the people to him and said to them, “Hear and understand: 11 it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.”[/u]

I am familiar with that view, and it is not one unique to Catholics, I can assure you. But have you considered the other perspective of honoring our Savior in all things. " All things are lawful, but not all things are expedient." Paul tells us. No barbs intended, though it was/is a pointed question. I guess for me it always seems to be a contradiction of terms, especially when we consider the symbolism involved.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

gcdonner wrote:
MaxPC wrote:

I am familiar with that view, and it is not one unique to Catholics, I can assure you. But have you considered the other perspective of honoring our Savior in all things. " All things are lawful, but not all things are expedient." Paul tells us. No barbs intended, though it was/is a pointed question. I guess for me it always seems to be a contradiction of terms, especially when we consider the symbolism involved.

I always wondered how ham became such a traditional Easter Feast meal- as opposed to Lamb. I wonder if not only 'cost' but an emphasis about Jesus fulfilling the Law and as Max pointed out in Scripture, how under the New Covenant all meat was 'clean'- maybe it was to emphasize Old Covenant replaced by New Covenant- I can't think of any other reason ham became so traditional.
0 x