Campground Ramblings

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: Campground Ramblings

Post by gcdonner »

MaxPC wrote:
gcdonner wrote: Our bible study has been going very well. I am teaching on the work of the Holy Spirit. I always start a study like this with the Fruit of the Spirit. We have gone through the gifts of the Spirit, how they apply, how they operate and then last night concluded the purposes of the gifts of the Spirit: evangelization, edification, & glorification. Next week, Lord willing, we will begin to look at the gifts of Spirit filled men to the church, ie the five fold ministry recorded in Ephesians 4. We have quite a mix of folks attending, including a 7th Day Baptist pastor!
A 7th Day Baptist????? That's a new one to me. Are they Baptismal Adventists? Adventitious Baptists???? Do they only baptize on Saturdays????

It sounds like a fantastic study. I've always enjoyed the studies themed on the Holy Spirit: the gifts, the fruits, the cardinal, theological/heavenly virtues, etc. I've always felt this kind of study is an excellent follow-through on baptism (no I'm not opening that baptism can of worms again :lol: ).
These are Baptists that observe the 7th day Sabbath, but separate from 7th Day Adventists. I had never heard of them before moving here to MN. The church building we are meeting in belongs to the 7th Day Baptist, who obviously meet on Saturday, while the little Lutheran church that I attend meets on Sundays, renting the building for that day. I am friends with this gentleman who is the former pastor of this congregation.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

gcdonner wrote:
These are Baptists that observe the 7th day Sabbath, but separate from 7th Day Adventists. I had never heard of them before moving here to MN. The church building we are meeting in belongs to the 7th Day Baptist, who obviously meet on Saturday, while the little Lutheran church that I attend meets on Sundays, renting the building for that day. I am friends with this gentleman who is the former pastor of this congregation.
That's interesting! I've never heard of them either though I've met all kinds of Baptists in our travels. Most either started off independent and didn't join the big Conferences; or they broke away from a mainstream church. A few even adopted the Jewish holy days and rituals so they were not that different from Messianic Jews.

What's the history of the Seventh Day Baptists?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

MaxPC wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
That's interesting! I've never heard of them either though I've met all kinds of Baptists in our travels. Most either started off independent and didn't join the big Conferences; or they broke away from a mainstream church. A few even adopted the Jewish holy days and rituals so they were not that different from Messianic Jews.

What's the history of the Seventh Day Baptists?
I'm not sure, I will have to ask.. or look online. :mrgreen:
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

If you would that'd be great, George. Does this congregation in your neighborhood incorporate Jewish rituals and holy days?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

MaxPC wrote:If you would that'd be great, George. Does this congregation in your neighborhood incorporate Jewish rituals and holy days?
No, as far as I know they are pretty much just Baptists who worship on Saturdays. I am good friends with their former pastor and will see him again, Lord willing, on Thursday so I will ask him about some of these things then.
Here is an interesting article from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventh_Day_Baptists
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

gcdonner wrote:
MaxPC wrote:If you would that'd be great, George. Does this congregation in your neighborhood incorporate Jewish rituals and holy days?
No, as far as I know they are pretty much just Baptists who worship on Saturdays. I am good friends with their former pastor and will see him again, Lord willing, on Thursday so I will ask him about some of these things then.
Here is an interesting article from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventh_Day_Baptists
Thank you. I also look forward to hearing what they do. I did a little research as an offshoot of the link you posted and found that some (not all) of the Seventh Day Baptists do adopt the Jewish rituals. Those that I met didn't necessarily call themselves SDBs but just Sabbath Baptists (I'll have to look up that one too.)
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

MaxPC wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
Thank you. I also look forward to hearing what they do. I did a little research as an offshoot of the link you posted and found that some (not all) of the Seventh Day Baptists do adopt the Jewish rituals. Those that I met didn't necessarily call themselves SDBs but just Sabbath Baptists (I'll have to look up that one too.)
I know that they do not observe all the feasts of the Lord as per the Messianic groups. I wish they did, as I would enjoy learning more about the feasts. We are currently having a video series on the Feasts of the Lord as they are fulfilled in the NT. I have to admit that I am a little bit disappointed in the understanding that the teacher has on some things, even though he is from a Jewish background originally.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

gcdonner wrote: I know that they do not observe all the feasts of the Lord as per the Messianic groups. I wish they did, as I would enjoy learning more about the feasts. We are currently having a video series on the Feasts of the Lord as they are fulfilled in the NT. I have to admit that I am a little bit disappointed in the understanding that the teacher has on some things, even though he is from a Jewish background originally.
That's interesting. I wonder if that's how some of these folks came to adopt Jewish rituals: because there are former Jews in the group? The theological evolution of these groups have always fascinated me.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

MaxPC wrote:
gcdonner wrote: I know that they do not observe all the feasts of the Lord as per the Messianic groups. I wish they did, as I would enjoy learning more about the feasts. We are currently having a video series on the Feasts of the Lord as they are fulfilled in the NT. I have to admit that I am a little bit disappointed in the understanding that the teacher has on some things, even though he is from a Jewish background originally.
That's interesting. I wonder if that's how some of these folks came to adopt Jewish rituals: because there are former Jews in the group? The theological evolution of these groups have always fascinated me.
I have wondered the same things, Max. There is much to be learned from them, both positive and negative...like all of us, they have their warts too.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

gcdonner wrote:
MaxPC wrote:
I have wondered the same things, Max. There is much to be learned from them, both positive and negative...like all of us, they have their warts too.
Yes, the human condition. :D I do prefer learning instead of debating. I think when we meet God we'll all be surprised about our viewpoints.

We're going to the store today to pick up the essentials. A lady offered to give free plants to the parish so we'll stop off and pick those up too. She lives in an area we don't know as well so this will be a little adventure.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)