Campground Ramblings

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: Campground Ramblings

Post by gcdonner »

MaxPC wrote:Looking back over this thread I have a question for SilentReader and GC:
--> Does it nullify the virtue of turning the other cheek if one is cheeky in attitude when turning the other cheek? Is the virtue then dependent upon a humble turning of the cheek rather than an attitudinal thorn? :mrgreen:

I'm feeling "cheeky" today. What can I say. :laugh

The weather is beautiful with only fallen trees to remind us of the storms of a fortnight ago. Happily the orchards picked their apples early in anticipation of the storms. The ladies have resumed canning and I'm cleaning my rifles to prepare for hunting season. The deer seem to be plentiful this year and it looks like we'll have venison stew for Christmas. Even the squirrels are looking sleek and fat. It must be from all of those acorns blown off the trees by the storms. Soon it will also be leaf peepers season. Plenty of traffic from the people starving for a little of God's creative beauty.
If you read Jesus' attitudes toward the scribes and Pharisees (as well as the Saducees) you would label his retorts as being "cheeky", wouldn't you? I have yet to refer to someone as a whited sepulcher... :o
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

gcdonner wrote:
MaxPC wrote:Looking back over this thread I have a question for SilentReader and GC:
--> Does it nullify the virtue of turning the other cheek if one is cheeky in attitude when turning the other cheek? Is the virtue then dependent upon a humble turning of the cheek rather than an attitudinal thorn? :mrgreen:

I'm feeling "cheeky" today. What can I say. :laugh

The weather is beautiful with only fallen trees to remind us of the storms of a fortnight ago. Happily the orchards picked their apples early in anticipation of the storms. The ladies have resumed canning and I'm cleaning my rifles to prepare for hunting season. The deer seem to be plentiful this year and it looks like we'll have venison stew for Christmas. Even the squirrels are looking sleek and fat. It must be from all of those acorns blown off the trees by the storms. Soon it will also be leaf peepers season. Plenty of traffic from the people starving for a little of God's creative beauty.
If you read Jesus' attitudes toward the scribes and Pharisees (as well as the Saducees) you would label his retorts as being "cheeky", wouldn't you? I have yet to refer to someone as a whited sepulcher... :o
You've probably heard the story about the little boy who was standing, but was supposed to be sitting. He was disciplined until he finally sat down. Then he said, "I may be sitting, but I'm still standing up inside". That may be similar to the 'cheek' thing. You decide.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

MaxPC wrote:The weather is beautiful with only fallen trees to remind us of the storms of a fortnight ago. Happily the orchards picked their apples early in anticipation of the storms. The ladies have resumed canning and I'm cleaning my rifles to prepare for hunting season. The deer seem to be plentiful this year and it looks like we'll have venison stew for Christmas.
Ah, but just wait until hunting season. Those deer seem to have an internal calendar that tells them to stay hidden if they don't want to end up in the stew.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

silentreader wrote: You've probably heard the story about the little boy who was standing, but was supposed to be sitting. He was disciplined until he finally sat down. Then he said, "I may be sitting, but I'm still standing up inside". That may be similar to the 'cheek' thing. You decide.
PS; seems to me his name was Robert. :P
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

ohio jones wrote:
MaxPC wrote:The weather is beautiful with only fallen trees to remind us of the storms of a fortnight ago. Happily the orchards picked their apples early in anticipation of the storms. The ladies have resumed canning and I'm cleaning my rifles to prepare for hunting season. The deer seem to be plentiful this year and it looks like we'll have venison stew for Christmas.
Ah, but just wait until hunting season. Those deer seem to have an internal calendar that tells them to stay hidden if they don't want to end up in the stew.
True. :lol: This year the herds are thick with young bucks and does. If we don't manage to get a couple I could always fry another turkey :shock: :o That's incentive aplenty for one of us to be "deerly sucessful". :lol:
silentreader wrote:You've probably heard the story about the little boy who was standing, but was supposed to be sitting. He was disciplined until he finally sat down. Then he said, "I may be sitting, but I'm still standing up inside". That may be similar to the 'cheek' thing. You decide.
We always enjoyed using that story to illustrate the dangers of pride. Right when the boy said that a ball flew across where he would have been standing and would have seriously injured him had he not sat down.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

The weather is perfect for Fall weather. Sadly we see another mass shooting in the news - anger and violence, including verbal violence are everywhere these past 5 years. We'll pray for the victims and their families. :pray
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

We've had a full day. Today we took the grandchildren to visit a nearby corn maze and we're all about to fall asleep after a full supper. The fresh air and cool temps are glorious. Early bed tonight. :lol:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

I'm going to help relatives evacuate from the western New Orleans area. Nate is targeting that area and they've already lost their home in the Houston floods. Please pray for the gulf coast people who've already been through so much.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

We stopped in OK for lunch. We met the relatives at their rental house outside of New Orleans. They already had a UHaul truck packed with what was left of their furniture and belongings salvaged from Houston.

I'm helping the husband drive the truck and my wife is helping the wife drive their car. They've decided they're not going back to the Gulf Coast and have rented a place in Wyoming. They said they can handle the cold better than hurricanes and floods. This trip is going to take awhile. It'll be fun to see Wyoming again.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

We took our time and rolled into the rental late yesterday. We were up early today and cleaned then shifted their belongings into place. My wife and I will rest a few days then head back on Saturday morning. It's been a long trip. :yawn:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)