Campground Ramblings

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Campground Ramblings

Post by temporal1 »

you know max, i often hear of wildfires in areas near my family on the west coast.
more often than not, THEY know nothing about fires near them.

this TN incident sends chills, people caught off-guard.

with so many ignoring all news today, likely more tragedies may result.
here's hoping news folks will regain credibility.

i read, this ongoing fire with multiple deaths is getting almost no national news coverage, while, NYC has had lots of widespread coverage of non-death related "news?" ..
i have no idea, but, neither do i doubt it. part of the reason so many have stopped listening.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Josh wrote:
MaxPC wrote:Why?
Why not?
Josh, that's not an answer; what is your reason for the photos? My question is reasonable considering your past negativity and history of sniping at Plain Catholics.
temporal1 wrote: i read, this ongoing fire with multiple deaths is getting almost no national news coverage, while, NYC has had lots of widespread coverage of non-death related "news?" ..
i have no idea, but, neither do i doubt it. part of the reason so many have stopped listening.
Many local news stories are simply covered regionally or statewide. National news covers national politics and international incidents. In light of the recent political viciousness I'm not surprised that people are staying away from those news sources. People are tired of filling their time with constant negativity. Life offers so much more.
Last edited by MaxPC on Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

They have begun releasing the names of the deceased: Mr Reed's wife is among them. No mention of his two daughters yet.

Let's keep them in prayer.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Here's an engineer's map of the area and the status of the buildings.
http://www.arcgis.com/apps/PublicInform ... 4fc7573d76
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Bootstrap wrote:I'm impressed with whoever bagged the turkey. They are rather elusive!
I hope this comment was not misinterpreted. People can and do shoot wild turkeys, pheasants, etc. According to my high school teacher, who managed to shoot one, it wasn't easy. He was a rather experienced hunter. I am not a hunter, but I have seen wild turkeys in the woods from time to time, and I agree with this description:

Wild Turkey For Thanksgiving
Wild turkeys are one of the most challenging game species to hunt. Their keen eyesight and hearing help them hone in on sounds and movement from a distance, allowing them to locate flockmates and food while also avoiding predators. They can sense the slightest movements, which often results in a hunter going home empty handed.

If they're so hard to hunt, then why do we even try? Because in the challenge comes the reward. Hunters who choose wild turkeys as their quarry are adept at blending into their environment, remaining still for long periods of time, recognizing and mimicking the various sounds wild turkeys make and are the epitome of patience. Once slight move at the wrong time, and the sharp-eyed turkey will make an alarm sound to warn off other birds and take flight at nearly 55 miles per hour or run away at close to 35 miles per hour. Unlike the domestic turkey, the wild turkey is a supreme survivor — a sleek, high-performance rocket, ready to take off at a moment's notice.
temporal1 wrote:Urban turkeys
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/enviro ... 80252.html

i've seen them in nearby town, confusing drivers; read about local city pedestrians being chased by them.
That's a different species - domestic turkeys who have escaped. They should be pretty easy to shoot.
Haystack wrote:It's not uncommon to have to wait for a flock of turkeys to cross the road here. They tend to take their time or just stand in the middle of the road for 5 minutes. It can be quite dangerous sometimes.
I'm guessing these are also domestic turkeys that have escaped? This just doesn't sound like the way that wild turkeys act.

I'm not sure which kind of turkey Max was talking about. I had assumed he was talking about the first.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

fwiw, the turkeys i've seen locally in town, and those in the link i shared, and other reports i've read, have never described these birds as "domestic escapees," but, always as wild birds, with the Wildlife Department involved, not the Dept of Ag.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote:fwiw, the turkeys i've seen locally in town, and those in the link i shared, and other reports i've read, have never described these birds as "domestic escapees," but, always as wild birds, with the Wildlife Department involved, not the Dept of Ag.
Looks like people in Davis have been feeding wild turkeys, and they are moving into the city where there are few natural predators. Several articles describe these turkeys as "semi-wild", which would explain why they don't act like the ones I've encountered in the woods or heard about from my teacher.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Bootstrap wrote:
temporal1 wrote:fwiw, the turkeys i've seen locally in town, and those in the link i shared, and other reports i've read, have never described these birds as "domestic escapees," but, always as wild birds, with the Wildlife Department involved, not the Dept of Ag.
Looks like people in Davis have been feeding wild turkeys, and they are moving into the city where there are few natural predators. Several articles describe these turkeys as "semi-wild", which would explain why they don't act like the ones I've encountered in the woods or heard about from my teacher.
They have been influenced by T1...'nuff said. :mrgreen: :hug:
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

gcdonner wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:
They have been influenced by T1...'nuff said. :mrgreen: :hug:
:lol:
well, i never heard anyone describe squirrels, raccoons, other birds, coyotes, possums, etc., commonly found in urban areas as "domestic," so, sure do not have the imagination to look at a wild turkey and call it such! but, to each their own.
0 x

UNKNOWN
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Back to the Gatlinburg tragedy:
Deaths are now 14. The residents will be allowed to return to their properties this week. As mentioned some have nothing but a foundation left.

Our children's parish has been involved with other churches in organizing relief efforts. We've volunteered for the rota of drivers to carry supplies to Gatlinburg. My turn to drive one of the trucks is this week. Yesterday I drove a load of food and water. Emergency workers as well as the residents need these supplies.

I have to say that while devastated, these good people are examples of hope and resiliency. God bless them.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)