Airgun Hunting?

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Airgun Hunting?

Post by steve-in-kville »

Myself and the boys have hunted the groundhogs on the neighboring farms for some years now. Recently some new neighbors moved in and said something to the one farmer about us shooting on the farm. They were nice about it, but the fact it attracted some attention has me on edge. We tossed around the idea of going the suppressor route but that would be a huge investment plus waiting for the paperwork to get through.

To that end, I'm looking at one of the larger, powerful airguns, specifically a PCP (pre-charged pneumatic). The one I have picked out is a .25 and from my research I understand it will take down a groundhog at 50 yards provided I do my part. The downside is... I need a source for compressed air, which would be an added expense.

Does anyone have any experience with these type of airguns?
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Re: Airgun Hunting?

Post by Signtist »

Why not stick with the program you have now? As long as you're legal, there's not much is going to happen. A nice chat with the new neighbours may clear things up. We've had cops called on us numerous times, as long as everything is above board why worry?
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Dangers of replica guns
https://www.9news.com/article/news/poli ... f21724dfa5

i’ve advised my family to not buy or use replica guns, even locally, some have been killed because they were thought to be real guns.
i used to think of carrying such a thing on my country walks, in case of dog or animal problems, decided it was not worth it. (it’s not just police who get it wrong.)

if i used a replica, i’d want it to be an OBVIOUS fake, not one that could be confused.

i agree with RZehr. ^^^

i’m not a gun owner, at all. i listened to my father, he used to have rifles for hunting. we girls did not use guns.
he warned, “presume EVERY gun is loaded.”
because so many have died/been killed by guns they THOUGHT were unloaded.

we lived before there were locks for guns. dad’s rifle was often on the kitchen table.
we knew not to touch it. i.e., we were taught not to touch it. :shock:
fathers don’t mince words. :shock:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

I was in the market for an airgun a few years ago, and I found a lot of good information at the Gateway to Airguns forum.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

temporal1 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:13 pm Dangers of replica guns

i’ve advised my family to not buy or use replica guns, even locally, some have been killed because they were thought to be real guns.
i used to think of carrying such a thing on my country walks, in case of dog or animal problems, decided it was not worth it. (it’s not just police who get it wrong.)

if i used a replica, i’d want it to be an OBVIOUS fake, not one that could be confused.

i agree with RZehr. ^^^

i’m not a gun owner, at all. i listened to my father, he used to have rifles for hunting. we girls did not use guns.

we lived before there were locks for guns. dad’s rifle was often on the kitchen table.
It's nice you agree with RZehr. Did he say something about this particular topic?
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:43 pm
temporal1 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:13 pm Dangers of replica guns

i agree with RZehr. ^^^

It's nice you agree with RZehr. Did he say something about this particular topic?
:lol:
Signtist. my mind is giving out on me.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
steve-in-kville

We're legal and all, I've just seen situations like this escalate. I heard the same neighbor also likes to fuss when the farmers are emptying their pits. Although the smell is unpleasant, its the price you pay for living in the country.

I also get asked to shoot critters in backyards from time to time, and a high-power airgun would be helpful.
0 x

steve-in-kville

I ended up with this as my super quiet critter getter:
1 x

Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:09 am super quiet critter getter
I applaud your terminology. I would love to hear how it works. We are soon to move on 2 acres surrounded by hundreds of acres of farm land. I suspect I will need one also and would love to have one for the boys to use. The one neighbor is a medical clinic and it would be best not to have rounds going off as they work. I love the idea and would appreciate a link to it so I could do some research too.

What are you doing for compressed air for it?
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Just now spotted this. Last year our son gave his son a Ruger airgun that, depending upon the ammunition, will attain 1200 FPS. It uses .177 ammunition.

It does not use a compressed air cylinder but rather is one that can be "pumped up". He felt those cylinders are too expensive after a time and inconvenient as well when they are spent; unhandy when one is needed for quick intervention of a raccoon, armadillo, possum, etc. Pump action works well for them.

As I recall he bought it at Walmart.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God