Today ...

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Today ...

Post by temporal1 »

Today .. i was thinking of the month of June, how it's long been associated with traditional marriage, and June brides. like, apples in September, pumpkins in October, snow in winter.

funny, 'cause, for me and my family, June has not been "the" month to marry. but, the association is there. personally, i favor "simple, intimate ceremonies," but, still, the idea of June weddings .. it's "a thing" i enjoy. it's part of the seasons of the year.

i suppose, in the past, June was often chosen to accomodate farm work schedules, school, weather, etc.

i was at the county recorder's office a few years ago, i asked about a birth certificate for my father's father, who passed before i was born. he was born in a small town, about 15 miles from the county seat. he was born in June. the clerk said, "great, 'cause, lots of rural winter-born babies' names might not be recorded, or recorded accurately." dirt roads were not always passable with horses. they would save notes over winter, then take them in for recording in spring. she found a hand-written note for him, not a full birth certificate!

June Brides - some general history
http://www.thebridalandtuxedohouse.com/ ... -tradition
from the text:
.. In the 14th Century, June was the top pick because it's when people began to bathe again following winter, and brides wanted a pleasant smelling crowd. It was also convenient because flowers were newly available and very necessary to mask the smell of those who hadn't yet cleaned up. This is the origin of the bouquet after all! ..
today .. there is a freshly-cut fragrant rose on my kitchen counter. :D

on this forum, i've enjoyed reading about different Anabaptist weddings and customs, some with pictures. it's June. :D
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

We celebrated (remembered) our 47th anniversary yesterday (June 2). I don't think we chose that day because it was the first available day in June; it had more to do with picking a date that would fit in between babies (my sisters, her sisters, and all the sisters-in-law.) It had nothing to do with flowers - we don't use flowers in our weddings.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Hats Off wrote:We celebrated (remembered) our 47th anniversary yesterday (June 2). I don't think we chose that day because it was the first available day in June; it had more to do with picking a date that would fit in between babies (my sisters, her sisters, and all the sisters-in-law.) It had nothing to do with flowers - we don't use flowers in our weddings.
ah-ha. interesting.
now that recall, i don't believe i noticed flowers in the (few) pics of Anabaptist weddings i've seen.
who would notice?! - with all eyes and thoughts on the bride+groom. :D
0 x

UNKNOWN
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Hats Off wrote:We celebrated (remembered) our 47th anniversary yesterday (June 2). I don't think we chose that day because it was the first available day in June; it had more to do with picking a date that would fit in between babies (my sisters, her sisters, and all the sisters-in-law.) It had nothing to do with flowers - we don't use flowers in our weddings.
47 years of blessings: happy anniversary!
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Hats Off, do you know the significance of Pfingst Muntag?
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

silentreader wrote:Hats Off, do you know the significance of Pfingst Muntag?
I don't think I do - we never kept the Monday holidays such as Easter Monday or Pfingst Muntag. I know for some old orders in the school section, they were days for reunions or visiting grandparents or other family. Since my father worked out so much, any holiday like that was a day to work at home.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

We might be buying a house after four years of renting and trying to move close to a church... :(

It seems doors keep being shut... :? However not having proper privacy with renting and finding a marijuana grow operation(unused at this time) in the garage we are paying the power for... has us trying to make the best choices we can with other doors that are open at this time.

The property doesn't have cell service or internet to it. Which can be fixed with booster maybe and/or wireless internet... But I think if this all goes through we will go without all the noise for the time being. So in 2 months you might not have my input here anymore... :blah: :( :P ;) :wave:
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Wade wrote:We might be buying a house after four years of renting and trying to move close to a church... :(

It seems doors keep being shut... :? However not having proper privacy with renting and finding a marijuana grow operation(unused at this time) in the garage we are paying the power for... has us trying to make the best choices we can with other doors that are open at this time.

The property doesn't have cell service or internet to it. Which can be fixed with booster maybe and/or wireless internet... But I think if this all goes through we will go without all the noise for the time being. So in 2 months you might not have my input here anymore... :blah: :( :P ;) :wave:
I for one will be sorry to see you disappear, but you must do what you must to protect your family and keep hearth and home together. Blessings as you follow the leading of the Holy Spirit.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

gcdonner wrote:
Wade wrote:We might be buying a house after four years of renting and trying to move close to a church... :(

I for one will be sorry to see you disappear, but you must do what you must to protect your family and keep hearth and home together. Blessings as you follow the leading of the Holy Spirit.
i've enjoyed the pictures and stories you've shared from your rental property. a special place, in compared to most. you and your family have found a place in my heart, i will miss hearing from you.
i might have to ask about snail mail! :D

i would enjoy hearing about this new place .. is it near where you are? will you have swans?
what does your wife think about it? will you be closer to family or a fellowship of interest?
0 x

UNKNOWN
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Sitting in Anchorage waiting for flight home. Came up for a June wedding.
0 x