Today ...

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
User avatar
gcdonner
Posts: 641
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:17 am
Affiliation: N/A

Re: Today ...

Postby gcdonner » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:27 pm

Wade wrote:Sleeping in Sleigh2.jpg

Relaxing...

And he was getting dragged around. I wonder what the photo of the Dragger would look like? LOL
1 x
Anabapticostal, being immersed in the Spirit & the Word, again & again & again...

Robert
Site Janitor
Posts: 20528
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:16 pm
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: Today ...

Postby Robert » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:42 pm

The start of my igloo.

Image

The snow is not packing well, so I am using the snow blower and making circles around it to pile up the snow and letting it pack down a bit. I suspect I will have it finished right when spring hits and it melts.
1 x
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.

Peregrino
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:16 pm
Location: Santo Tomas, Chihuahua
Affiliation: seekers of the Flame

Re: Today ...

Postby Peregrino » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:44 pm

Today Mexico is in the second day of protests over a gasoline price increase. People are blocking highways and railroads, occupying toll plazas and government buildings. There was no gasoline for a while in our local town due to panic buying last week before the price increase went into effect. Today I noticed the gas station was busy again so they must have gotten some more in somehow.
0 x

User avatar
gcdonner
Posts: 641
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:17 am
Affiliation: N/A

Re: Today ...

Postby gcdonner » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:55 pm

Peregrino wrote:Today Mexico is in the second day of protests over a gasoline price increase. People are blocking highways and railroads, occupying toll plazas and government buildings. There was no gasoline for a while in our local town due to panic buying last week before the price increase went into effect. Today I noticed the gas station was busy again so they must have gotten some more in somehow.

Sounds like the "gas shortage" here in the US, back in the 70s. The price jumped from 32 cents a gallon to 75 cents and suddenly the gas shortage came to an end...
0 x
Anabapticostal, being immersed in the Spirit & the Word, again & again & again...

User avatar
lesterb
Posts: 553
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:41 pm
Location: Alberta
Affiliation: Western Fellowship
Contact:

Re: Today ...

Postby lesterb » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:13 pm

Peregrino wrote:Today Mexico is in the second day of protests over a gasoline price increase. People are blocking highways and railroads, occupying toll plazas and government buildings. There was no gasoline for a while in our local town due to panic buying last week before the price increase went into effect. Today I noticed the gas station was busy again so they must have gotten some more in somehow.

Our new carbon tax came into force on January 1/17. Gas in town was $1.139 a liter today. Last gas I got was maybe $0.929? In the 90's cent range, anyway.
0 x
When a man's ways please the LORD, he makes even his enemies to be at peace with him. (Pro 16:7 ESV)

Neto
Posts: 323
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: Today ...

Postby Neto » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:38 pm

Robert wrote:The start of my igloo.

Image

The snow is not packing well, so I am using the snow blower and making circles around it to pile up the snow and letting it pack down a bit. I suspect I will have it finished right when spring hits and it melts.


When I was in college in Minnesota the different classes (Freshmen, Sophomores, etc) competed in building snow sculptures every year. The snow was so dry there that we had to add a bunch of water to it in 5 gallon buckets in order to get it to stick together. One year we made Snoopy on a snowmobile - larger than life (the snowmobile, I mean; Snoopy was a LOT bigger). We were allowed to use food coloring to 'paint' our creations as well.

I built an "igloo" one winter back when I was at home in Oklahoma. We had a big snow, and it drifted a lot on the south end of the buildings. I used a manure scoop to cut out snow blocks & drug them to the place where there had been the most snow. It was pretty wet snow, and packed really well. I used some scrap lumber to help build the roof. I had started enlarging it with an addition, but the next day we had school again, and by the time I got off of the bus that afternoon it was already all gone, except for a pile of boards. My folks have a picture of me looking out of it someplace. The weather in Oklahoma just doesn't stay the same for very long.
1 x

Wade
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:09 am
Location: BC

Re: Today ...

Postby Wade » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:40 pm

Couple Mennonite woman braved the treacherous mountain passes to come visit us. They brought us a bunch of casserole dishes and other frozen foods. A lot of frozen vegetables from one family's garden whose wife hasn't been completely healthy and so I believe this took sacrifice on their part.

There were a few gifts as well and one bag had the last name of a regular poster on MN. :wave: Thank you! :hug:

A minister that I have shared my heart to more than anyone gave me the book: THESE ARE MY PEOPLE, The Nature of the Church and Its Disciples According to the New Testament by Harold S. Bender. Not sure I can describe how much I appreciate his thoughtfulness and prayers for us. Look forward to reading it. :)

It is very nice for my wife to have time to visit sisters. :D

Time to go eat the pizza heating up from them. :P
6 x
"Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth."

MaxPC
Posts: 1020
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:09 pm
Location: Full time RVers
Affiliation: Catholic
Contact:

Re: Today ...

Postby MaxPC » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:32 am

Thank you for sharing this inspiring story of Mennonites doing something beautiful for God and for your family. :up:
0 x
Max (aka Plain Catholic)
Psalm 105

User avatar
lesterb
Posts: 553
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:41 pm
Location: Alberta
Affiliation: Western Fellowship
Contact:

Re: Today ...

Postby lesterb » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:40 pm

Wade wrote:Couple Mennonite woman braved the treacherous mountain passes to come visit us. They brought us a bunch of casserole dishes and other frozen foods. A lot of frozen vegetables from one family's garden whose wife hasn't been completely healthy and so I believe this took sacrifice on their part.

There were a few gifts as well and one bag had the last name of a regular poster on MN. :wave: Thank you! :hug:

I'm glad they were able to do that. I know my wife would really like to visit your wife as well. And I'd enjoy sitting down with you again for an afternoon.
Wade wrote:A minister that I have shared my heart to more than anyone gave me the book: THESE ARE MY PEOPLE, The Nature of the Church and Its Disciples According to the New Testament by Harold S. Bender. Not sure I can describe how much I appreciate his thoughtfulness and prayers for us. Look forward to reading it. :)

I started to "translate" this book into a form easier for non-intellects to process. Got through about three or four chapters. It was an interesting project, but I ran out of steam and impetus. The book is still available through print on demand. Bender presented the content in all of the Mennonite colleges in 1960. I think each chapter was a separate lecture.

It's interesting that he was asked to do this about the same time that the conservative element of the Old Mennonite Church was separating from the group. I hunted through the book for any reference to this, but didn't really find much. Except, I wonder if the inspiration for the series might have come from that.

Enjoy it. It's a good book.
0 x
When a man's ways please the LORD, he makes even his enemies to be at peace with him. (Pro 16:7 ESV)

Robert
Site Janitor
Posts: 20528
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:16 pm
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: Today ...

Postby Robert » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:23 pm

Smoked the house up today, well last night and some today. Flue is restricted somewhere and I will have to do some digging to find it.

t1, check your PMs. I have replied to your emails and it keeps bouncing back.
1 x
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.


Return to “The Homestead”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest