Today ...

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: Today ...

Post by gcdonner »

Wade wrote:Sleeping in Sleigh2.jpg

Relaxing...
And he was getting dragged around. I wonder what the photo of the Dragger would look like? LOL
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

The start of my igloo.

The snow is not packing well, so I am using the snow blower and making circles around it to pile up the snow and letting it pack down a bit. I suspect I will have it finished right when spring hits and it melts.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Peregrino
Affiliation:

Post by Peregrino »

Today Mexico is in the second day of protests over a gasoline price increase. People are blocking highways and railroads, occupying toll plazas and government buildings. There was no gasoline for a while in our local town due to panic buying last week before the price increase went into effect. Today I noticed the gas station was busy again so they must have gotten some more in somehow.
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Peregrino wrote:Today Mexico is in the second day of protests over a gasoline price increase. People are blocking highways and railroads, occupying toll plazas and government buildings. There was no gasoline for a while in our local town due to panic buying last week before the price increase went into effect. Today I noticed the gas station was busy again so they must have gotten some more in somehow.
Sounds like the "gas shortage" here in the US, back in the 70s. The price jumped from 32 cents a gallon to 75 cents and suddenly the gas shortage came to an end...
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Peregrino wrote:Today Mexico is in the second day of protests over a gasoline price increase. People are blocking highways and railroads, occupying toll plazas and government buildings. There was no gasoline for a while in our local town due to panic buying last week before the price increase went into effect. Today I noticed the gas station was busy again so they must have gotten some more in somehow.
Our new carbon tax came into force on January 1/17. Gas in town was $1.139 a liter today. Last gas I got was maybe $0.929? In the 90's cent range, anyway.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Robert wrote:The start of my igloo.

The snow is not packing well, so I am using the snow blower and making circles around it to pile up the snow and letting it pack down a bit. I suspect I will have it finished right when spring hits and it melts.
When I was in college in Minnesota the different classes (Freshmen, Sophomores, etc) competed in building snow sculptures every year. The snow was so dry there that we had to add a bunch of water to it in 5 gallon buckets in order to get it to stick together. One year we made Snoopy on a snowmobile - larger than life (the snowmobile, I mean; Snoopy was a LOT bigger). We were allowed to use food coloring to 'paint' our creations as well.

I built an "igloo" one winter back when I was at home in Oklahoma. We had a big snow, and it drifted a lot on the south end of the buildings. I used a manure scoop to cut out snow blocks & drug them to the place where there had been the most snow. It was pretty wet snow, and packed really well. I used some scrap lumber to help build the roof. I had started enlarging it with an addition, but the next day we had school again, and by the time I got off of the bus that afternoon it was already all gone, except for a pile of boards. My folks have a picture of me looking out of it someplace. The weather in Oklahoma just doesn't stay the same for very long.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Couple Mennonite woman braved the treacherous mountain passes to come visit us. They brought us a bunch of casserole dishes and other frozen foods. A lot of frozen vegetables from one family's garden whose wife hasn't been completely healthy and so I believe this took sacrifice on their part.

There were a few gifts as well and one bag had the last name of a regular poster on MN. :wave: Thank you! :hug:

A minister that I have shared my heart to more than anyone gave me the book: THESE ARE MY PEOPLE, The Nature of the Church and Its Disciples According to the New Testament by Harold S. Bender. Not sure I can describe how much I appreciate his thoughtfulness and prayers for us. Look forward to reading it. :)

It is very nice for my wife to have time to visit sisters. :D

Time to go eat the pizza heating up from them. :P
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Thank you for sharing this inspiring story of Mennonites doing something beautiful for God and for your family. :up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Wade wrote:Couple Mennonite woman braved the treacherous mountain passes to come visit us. They brought us a bunch of casserole dishes and other frozen foods. A lot of frozen vegetables from one family's garden whose wife hasn't been completely healthy and so I believe this took sacrifice on their part.

There were a few gifts as well and one bag had the last name of a regular poster on MN. :wave: Thank you! :hug:
I'm glad they were able to do that. I know my wife would really like to visit your wife as well. And I'd enjoy sitting down with you again for an afternoon.
Wade wrote:A minister that I have shared my heart to more than anyone gave me the book: THESE ARE MY PEOPLE, The Nature of the Church and Its Disciples According to the New Testament by Harold S. Bender. Not sure I can describe how much I appreciate his thoughtfulness and prayers for us. Look forward to reading it. :)
I started to "translate" this book into a form easier for non-intellects to process. Got through about three or four chapters. It was an interesting project, but I ran out of steam and impetus. The book is still available through print on demand. Bender presented the content in all of the Mennonite colleges in 1960. I think each chapter was a separate lecture.

It's interesting that he was asked to do this about the same time that the conservative element of the Old Mennonite Church was separating from the group. I hunted through the book for any reference to this, but didn't really find much. Except, I wonder if the inspiration for the series might have come from that.

Enjoy it. It's a good book.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Smoked the house up today, well last night and some today. Flue is restricted somewhere and I will have to do some digging to find it.

t1, check your PMs. I have replied to your emails and it keeps bouncing back.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.