Today ...

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Today ...

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:32 am
MaxPC wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:07 am I have camped in Texas heat … in July and August. A root canal is more fun than Texas heat and does not cause deaths. :roll:
I just ignore it until it goes away.

The dry month has pretty much killed my corn. Not sure if I will get any out of the garden. I have city water so water sparingly and missed a few days. Seems the corn was much more sensitive then the rest of my crops.
This reminds of jess77’s posts on MD, trying to garden in Texas. (Austin area?) i think she’s in Florida now, not frequently posting.
Always interesting when she appears.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:09 pm .. thanks though for once again attributing ideas to me that I do not hold.
This has become a common occurrence on MN. Was it always this way? On MN, on MD?
i don’t recall it so much.

Quiet today. i guess most are busy. :wave:
0 x

UNKNOWN
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

MaxPC wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:07 am
I have camped in Texas heat … in July and August. A root canal is more fun than Texas heat and does not cause deaths. :roll:

The dry month has pretty much killed my corn. Not sure if I will get any out of the garden. I have city water so water sparingly and missed a few days. Seems the corn was much more sensitive then the rest of my crops.
The heat wave of 2012 was the worst. Killed huge numbers of trees across Central Texas. Not so much the heat but the drought. All the small streams completely dried up that year and so all the trees along the riparian zones that fed off stream water died when the streams disappeared. So what were normally green lines of trees following the streams across the Texas landscape all turned dead. That was the year that Central TX set records for both total number of 100+ days and total number of 105+ days.

What I got weary of is that there is no escape from it. You have to drive 500+ miles all the way up to the New Mexico Rockies to find any place that is cooler. Oklahoma is no help. If you go the other direction to Arkansas to one of the state parks in the Ozarks it is 95 instead of 105 so barely any improvement. That summer I took the kids and the camper down to South Padre Island and it was still so hot the beach was nearly too hot to walk on and the pool at the KOA was as warm as bath water and not much fun to swim in because it wouldn't cool you off. So basically the kids just stay indoors all the time.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

MaxPC wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:07 am
I have camped in Texas heat … in July and August. A root canal is more fun than Texas heat and does not cause deaths. :roll:

I am sorry to hear that. I am fond of fresh corn on the cob.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Today, I got my internet back on after 4 days out. I saw the tech across the street and told him it was out. He said he would look at it. I wa son the phone with Zito Media, who we get our internet from. After 1 and a half hours on the phone getting the run around, the tech took the phone from me and told them he fixed it and just needed a work order the close out. I had been asking for a work order for an hour and a half. I got the run around from 3 guys in India. Finally they sent me to the supervisor who is in the US and in 12 minutes, work order was issued and he tech could close it out.

We had a bad connection at the pole. Tech found it right away. No way it was anything else, but the tech support in India kept telling me it was work being done on the line and it would be fixed soon. There was no work being done down line, The tech is the only one in town doing fiber optics. He said that was not the case.

It was crazy and the tech and I did have some laughs. He left with a case of eggs too. :)
4 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

The week went by really fast. We started a thing called "Fish Camp." All the freshman from Texas A&M come for a three day gathering. Each load is about 1000 students. They stay for three days, then go and 1000 more show up right behind them. We do this for a month straight.

My job is toe fix anything not working during, but mostly between loads. They have about 10 people doing housecleaning and most the repairs come to me. Last year they had three guys doing the repairs. This year just one old Mennonite. I have been able to keep up so far. There are a couple others in the Maintenance department with me, but they mostly deal with trash. I get the repairs. I have not had as much fun in years. Since they know I will fix the stuff, they are flooding us with repairs that has set for years not being fixed. It has been really good to use these old skills I learned so long ago and never thought I would have use of.

My new ministry of fixing toilets was just supposed to be a summer job, but has changed to a full time position. The person who runs the camp has made it clear that I am not allowed to quit. He will come to my house and drag me back if I try. :lol:
4 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Today ..

Pacific Science Center
https://pacificsciencecenter.org/about/
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

AUGUST. Black-eyed Susans.
Native Americans and pioneers would have seen them in abundance.

1 x

UNKNOWN
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

My friend Carlos in Pennsylvania is asking for prayer for his parole hearing tomorrow. He admits to being a horrible person back at the time of his crime before he came to the Lord. He writes,

"I did get to see pre parole and that was something. It was really hard for me to speak about my crime and it has been 20 years since anyone cared enough to hear details. They took all my paperwork I had prepared and told me that in July [now August] I will be seeing the Board. After I see them it might be up to 3 weeks until I know if they will giving me parole or not. So please pray for God to give me the strength and the words. Now it is time for me to walk the walk and trust that God is in full control and only He can open or close the windows in my life. I have preached to trust and believe to so many brothers and sisters in Christ, now it is my turn."
2 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Today in my 86F house I attempted to clean the AC coils… needless to say I created a disaster that left me covered in insulation and water seeping into my son’s bedroom and the living room. I was so focused on cleaning the disaster that I have no idea if I even got the coils cleaner.
Summary is that I cut out all of the floor insulation and about 2 inches around the base. Hopefully my efforts pay off and I don’t have another 400+ power bill… sigh… maybe after this next baby we can afford a new AC unit :roll:
Can someone give a stimulus check in the summer in the south and one in the winter in the north? Everyone would love that! Free money! Let’s make my AC cost triple what it does!
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat