Recipes

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Somebody
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Recipes

Post by Somebody »

Can we start a thread for recipes?

What are ways you like to use zucchini? I need some more ideas on how to use them that my people will eat them.
1 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Recipes

Post by MaxPC »

Good idea. I asked my wife and she said try putting spaghetti sauce on thin strips of zucchini and add some cheese (shredded mozzarella and parmesan); then roll it up and bake it.
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Like Max said, one good way to use it is to spiralize it and then cooking it like spaghetti if you don't mind buying another kitchen gadget. You can also do it by hand. Then it is simply a matter of using your favorite spaghetti sauce.

Here are instructions: https://downshiftology.com/recipes/how- ... r-methods/

1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

Cut zucchini, onion into rounds and if you have any string beans, or eggplant or other garden veggies. Cook some Italian sausage add veggies and then tomato sauce, diced tomatoes or cut up fresh tomatoes and cook until veggies are very tender. Season with salt, pepper, any Italian seasonings you like and thicken with some tomato paste. Serve over spaghetti, other shaped pasta or eat as a stew alone or with bread on the side.

Stir fry with any other garden veggies and add chicken, beef or pork and soy sauce, ginger- fresh or dried- and serve over rice.
1 x
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

Eggplant Zucchini And Basil Gratin- if you don't like eggplant just use all zucchini

2 golden zucchini (green or summer squash would do as well)
2 medium Japanese eggplants
2 slices whole wheat bread
handful of basil leaves
mozzarella cheese
monterey jack cheese
parmesan cheese
extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper

In a food processor, pulse your bread into breadcrumbs. Preheat oven at 350F.

Peel the eggplant with a vegetable peeler and slice lengthwise into slices about a millimeter or so thick. Salt both sides and place in a collander to drain for about 20 minutes. Dry the slices with paper towel. Then slice the zucchini the same thickness (as best you can -- this dish is anything but scientific!).

Heat a large pan with olive oil on medium to medium-high heat and saute your batch of eggplant and zucchini, adding more olive oil to the pan between each batch. You don't need to cook the slices all the way - about 30-40 seconds a side should suffice in the hot pan - just enough to soften them.

In a deep baking dish baking dish begin layering (hopefully you can get a sense of the size of my dish in the below pictures -- it is 3" deep). Place a layer of eggplant down first. (Note: don't be afraid to cut your slices of eggplant or zucchini into the necessary size to fit the gaps in a layer) Then grate a layer of parmesan cheese. Then add a layer of zucchini, a layer of breadcrumbs, and a layer of grated mozzarella cheese. Grind some fresh pepper and a little salt.

Add another layer of eggplant and then a layer of grated monterey jack cheese. Then lay down a layer of basil leaves, another layer of zucchini, a layer of breadcrumbs, and a layer of parmesan cheese and a little more fresh pepper.

Continue layering the eggplant and the zucchini, alternating cheese types with an occasional layer of breadcrumbs until you are out of vegetables (as I said... this isn't scientific). Grind some fresh pepper on the top, and put down a final layer of breadcrumbs and gratings of all three types of cheeses. Drizzle some olive oil over top.

I baked for about 20 minutes at 350F, then got hungry and kicked it up to 375F for another 15 minutes, then let cool for a few minutes. You get a delightful crust and a totally melted core. The layer of basil really permeates this dish nicely. It's rich, but oh so satisfying. This dish can handle a hefty, peppery red wine should you be so inclined.

In the summer if it is really really hot I hate to use my oven so I put this in a cast iron skillet and cook on the gas grill- if the zucchini and eggplant are raw- I cheat sometimes and don't precook- I bake at 400 for 45-50 minutes then add cheese on top or bake/grill as above if I've precooked the veggies. Saves heating the house.
1 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Chocolate Zucchini Cake from Dani Dean
Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter or shortening 4 to 7 Tablespoons cocoa
1/2 cup veg. oil 1/2 teaspoon baking powder,
3/4 cup sugar 1 t. baking soda
2 eggs 2 cup shredded yellow zucchini (or green)
1 teaspoon vanilla 1 1/2 c. chocolate chips, & 1 cup chocolate chips (separate)
1/2 cup sour milk or sour cream or yogurt 1/2 c. sunflower seeds or nuts (optional)
2 1/2 cup whole wheat flour

Cream together 1/2 c. shortening, 3/4 c. sugar, & 1/2 c. veg. oil.
Add 2 eggs, 1 t. vanilla, 1/2 c. sour milk.

Mix together 2 1/2 c. flour (whole wheat for added nutrition works well), 4 - 7 Tablespoons cocoa, 1/2 t. baking powder, 1 t. baking soda, & add to creamed mixture. Beat well.

Stir in 2 c. shredded zucchini, 1 1/2 c. chocolate chips, & 1/2 c. sunflower seeds. Spoon mixture into a greased 9" x 13" pan. Sprinkle top with 1 c. chocolate chips and 1/2 c. sunflower seeds or nuts if used.

Bake at 325° for 45 - 50 min or til toothpick comes clean.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Somebody wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:38 am Can we start a thread for recipes? ... :D

EASY no cooking family favorites, esp for reunions, which we used to have every year. until 2020.

These linked basic recipes are very close. My mother didn’t write much down.

Being oldest of 9, enlisted as “second mother” by junior high, then having 6 of her own, i’m pretty sure she thought “recipes” flowed in a person’s bloodstream, not so much from reading recipes. :shock: i think lots of my female elders were about the same.
they had so much repetition, they could not imagine recipes being forgotten!

**3 Bean Salad
https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/thr ... lad-for-3/
1 can (8 ounces) cut green beans, drained
1 can (8 ounces) cut wax beans, drained
3/4 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/8 teaspoon pepper
i would add PIMENTO.
possibly garbanzo beans. sliced Vidalia or Bermuda onions, for taste, and to make it prettier.
some of these recipes call for a lot more sugar! (not necessary.)

**Kidney Bean Salad
https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/kidney-bean-salad/
1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
1/2 cup sliced celery
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup mayonnaise [or Miracle Whip]
1/4 cup dill pickle relish
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
my mother probably opted for Miracle Whip. celery is important.

.. my mother ..
would be mortified to know the simple 3 Bean Salad is now selling for nearly $6/pound in the nearby deli. :shock:
even i’m unbelieving.
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

i failed to find the “What’s for dinner?” thread. :?
i think it’s on MN?? .. it had a pretty good start. :)
0 x

UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

We had “zoodles” last week and they were really good. My wife found a KitchenAid attachment for sale and hooked it up.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

temporal1 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:30 pm i failed to find the “What’s for dinner?” thread. :?
i think it’s on MN?? .. it had a pretty good start. :)
FOUND IT! :lol:
“What’s for supper?”
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1832
0 x

UNKNOWN