Marriage Encounter / Retrouvaille

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Marriage Encounter / Retrouvaille

Post by temporal1 »

Marriage Encounter / BELIEVE IN A BETTER MARRIAGE / Weekend Events For Couples
https://agme.org/
Marriage Encounter Is…
Marriage Encounter is a weekend away for couples who want to take their marriage from good to great.
Retrouvaille / A lifeline for married couples
https://www.helpourmarriage.org/
The Retrouvaille Program is for Married Couples Facing Difficult Challenges in their Relationship
A Marriage program that helps couples restore their marriage and rebuild a loving relationship.
A Christian marriage program, Catholic in origin, where couples of all faiths or no faith background are encouraged to attend.
Primarily a practical program to improve communication, build stronger marriages, and help couples reconnect.
Presenters are not trained marriage counselors, but rather couples sharing their personal stories of marital struggles and the tools they used to rediscover their love.

(i believe) Marriage Encounter was started years ago by the Catholic Church, and has been adopted by other denoms, all over the world. (i believe) the groups are open to all, even those of no stated faith.

Does anyone know anything about these groups/opportunities? (i know very little, but have heard no negatives.)
i’ve read, some couples attended, convinced their marriage was OVER, but found new hope in the process.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Re: Marriage Encounter / Retrouvaille

Post by temporal1 »

In the last 10 years or so, i have suggested these weekends to ones in difficult marriages, offering to care for their children so they could attend. So far, no takers. :-|

i think it’s a good idea, tho.
0 x

UNKNOWN
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Marriage Encounter is designed for marriages that are not in trouble. It is to help good marriages get better.

Retrouvaille is designed for marriages that are hurting and in trouble.

Both teach the same communication skills. The topical emphases are different however. ME addresses topics that can lead to disagreement and eventually to a painful relationship.

Retrouvaille addresses topics of forgiveness, repentance, and the assuagement of old hurts and grudges. It has two additional members on the lead team: a male and a female psychologists who were trained in the Gospel aspects human psychology and behaviors.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

MaxPC wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:53 am Marriage Encounter is designed for marriages that are not in trouble. It is to help good marriages get better.

Both teach the same communication skills. The topical emphases are different however. ME addresses topics that can lead to disagreement and eventually to a painful relationship.

Retrouvaille addresses topics of forgiveness, repentance, and the assuagement of old hurts and grudges.
It has two additional members on the lead team: a male and a female psychologists who were trained in the Gospel aspects human psychology and behaviors.

Thank you.
This seems to be a good summary of the OP quotes, except i’ve not found reference to psychologists .. it says:
Retrouvaille:
.. Presenters are not trained marriage counselors, but rather couples sharing their personal stories of marital struggles and the tools they used to rediscover their love.

But it makes sense there would be psychologists, at least overseeing, and i don’t believe there is a shortage.

It’s encouraging to read testimonials from those who believe there is no hope to finding hope. So much is needed.
0 x

UNKNOWN
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

temporal1 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:50 am
MaxPC wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:53 am Marriage Encounter is designed for marriages that are not in trouble. It is to help good marriages get better.

Retrouvaille addresses topics of forgiveness, repentance, and the assuagement of old hurts and grudges.
It has two additional members on the lead team: a male and a female psychologists who were trained in the Gospel aspects human psychology and behaviors.

Thank you.
This seems to be a good summary of the OP quotes, except i’ve not found reference to psychologists .. it says:
Retrouvaille:
.. Presenters are not trained marriage counselors, but rather couples sharing their personal stories of marital struggles and the tools they used to rediscover their love.

But it makes sense there would be psychologists, at least overseeing, and i don’t believe there is a shortage.
Not all team members are presenters. Also a member of the team is a priest, who acts as spiritual advisor and Confessor, he does not always present unless he chooses to do so.

Follow-up meetings are scheduled after the full weekend. If they choose to do so, they can find a meeting near their home that meets once a week for post-retreat support.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Good to know. ^^
i have wondered how so much could be accomplished in 1 weekend! (but, i believe 1 weekend could be a significant start.)
0 x

UNKNOWN
ragpicker
Affiliation: Mennobapticostal

Post by ragpicker »

I’m intrigued. I’d love to check it out. Our marriage is in a beautiful place, but we’ve walked through hell and on to redemption to get here. So I’m always interested in helps for marriages in trouble.
1 x
Embrace the lonely road.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Here's the Mennonite & Brethren edition:
https://www.marriageencounter.org/
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

ragpicker wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:42 am I’m intrigued. I’d love to check it out. Our marriage is in a beautiful place, but we’ve walked through hell and on to redemption to get here. So I’m always interested in helps for marriages in trouble.
I can easily imagine you becoming a lead couple. :D
ohio jones wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:46 am Here's the Mennonite & Brethren edition:
https://www.marriageencounter.org/
I’m happy to see this. :D
0 x

UNKNOWN