Knitting. Crochet, too. And ..

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Knitting. Crochet, too. And ..

Post by temporal1 »

I began knitting a pullover sweater/tunic for my grdaughter. We’ve done several projects over time. Strictly amateurs.

This thread can be a place to share about knitting, crochet, embroidery, needlepoint, appliqué - et al. Questions, too! Hoping someone will have answers.

I’ll try to add a pic .. :? :)
pics are great. :D

Try again later. :?
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: Knitting. Crochet, too. And ..

Post by Valerie »

I think that's great that you are doing that with your granddaughter. My mother didn't sew or knit but I always wanted to learn how to knit so a few years ago I went to a class. I found that I had a hard time learning in a classroom situation how to knit. So instead I got on the computer and watch YouTube and I can stop and replace stop and replay and that was the way that I learned how to knit.

When my granddaughter was born 7 and 1/2 years ago, I took on the project of knitting her a little pink sweater. It turned out so cute. It was really hard for me! And it was really kind of dumb for me to do it because at that time they lived in Naples Florida where you have no use for a sweater like that!

To me the hard part when you're a beginner is when you make a mistake. Trying to fix it or know what to do. We did have a knitting store in our town and they allowed you to run in there with your knitting problems and get you out of a sticky situation.
1 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Valerie wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:38 pm I think that's great that you are doing that with your granddaughter. My mother didn't sew or knit but I always wanted to learn how to knit so a few years ago I went to a class. I found that I had a hard time learning in a classroom situation how to knit. So instead I got on the computer and watch YouTube and I can stop and replace stop and replay and that was the way that I learned how to knit.

When my granddaughter was born 7 and 1/2 years ago, I took on the project of knitting her a little pink sweater. It turned out so cute. It was really hard for me! And it was really kind of dumb for me to do it because at that time they lived in Naples Florida where you have no use for a sweater like that!

:arrow: To me the hard part when you're a beginner is when you make a mistake.
Trying to fix it or know what to do.

We did have a knitting store in our town and they allowed you to run in there with your knitting problems and get you out of a sticky situation.

Early 1970’s, i was most fortunate to learn on my work lunch breaks at the U of Vermont with a kindly Jewish lady.
sitting side by side, she taught me technique and correction of different errors.
she taught me to rip out and start over rather than leave errors in - because even minor errors can show up like a billboard, once it’s done.

after casting on, the 2 basic+simple stitches, knit+purl, are pretty easy. but technique and error correction are key!

Naples, FL - evenings can be cool. i hope your grdaughter got occasional use of her sweater!
And to keep it for her daughter.

i knit one toddler sweater that my daughter, then son, then grdaughter wore. i hope to see another, or a few more, wear it! :D
it’s knit of sturdy Vermont sheep wool. plenty of wear left!

i never learned to crochet beyond a simple chain stitch -
which was handy for making strings to attach winter mittens, used under coats. it worked great.
i hope to learn more one day.

and, how to post a photo here. i know it’s been explained somewhere. :)
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

From MN’s FAQs:
Can I post images?
Yes, images can be shown in your posts.

If the administrator has allowed attachments, you may be able to upload the image to the board.

Otherwise, you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.example.com/my-picture.gif.

You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor images stored behind authentication mechanisms, e.g. hotmail or yahoo mailboxes, password protected sites, etc.

To display the image use the BBCode Image
My project looks somewhat like this, in color and pattern.
It’s not a hat. It’s a simple pullover sweater/vest with cap sleeves, boat neck, an outer layer for cool/colder weather.
It’s meant to be useful and durable for outdoors.

It’s a simple pattern, if it fits well, she may be able to wear it for a couple/few years.
If so, i might knit another. :)

0 x

UNKNOWN
Somebody
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Somebody »

I learned to crochet. I made pot holders and scarves. Nothing really complicated.

My grandma gave each of her grandchildren patches to make a quilt. She traced the pictures on for us. I was 7 when she gave it to me. We girls embroidered ours and my brothers used fabric paints on theirs.

My sister did quite a few smocked dresses. I liked them and made one for each of my daughters. I would have liked to make more but never got it done. I did save those dresses so they have them for their own daughters someday, maybe.
1 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

i have wondered .. .. :?:
could knitting have been the forerunner of computers? .. knit 1, purl 1 ..
combinations of these 2 basic stitches worked across a straight line (knitting needles) have been used to create countless combinations, since antiquity.
That language of 1's and 0's is called binary.
Computers speak in binary because of how they are built. ... Computer Scientists represent an “on” switch with a 1 and an “off” switch with a 0. By expressing data in 1's and 0's, we package it in a way that mimics the organization of things inside the computer.
Aug 24, 2013
https://www.lewisu.edu › index.php
What's With All the 1's and 0's? | Lewis University Experts Blog
History of Hand Knitting
https://www.vam.ac.uk/articles/the-hist ... d-knitting

These early Egyptian socks may have lasted because they could not have been worn?? :?
0 x

UNKNOWN
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

My wife sewed her own dresses when we were first married, until the children came along. After that, she had her sister make them as she got too busy. That continued as long as she wore cape dresses. None of the girls learned the craft but some did pick up crochet.

I'll tell this story only to tell another one later...

I remember going to Good's Store and buying dress material for her birthday. I think I asked her sister on the "down low" how many yards I needed for a cape dress. Anyways, I ended up buying 3X the amount needed! So I guess the little girls got matching dresses too...
2 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

THIS ^^ IS IT. :dance:

i set up a free account with Flickr. :D
now if i can remember what i did.

i’m nearly finished with the first half of the pullover.
i plan to add another picture and some details. but, the picture posted. yay. :mrgreen:
2 x

UNKNOWN
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

temporal1 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:32 am Image
THIS ^^ IS IT. :dance:

i set up a free account with Flickr. :D
now if i can remember what i did.

i’m nearly finished with the first half of the pullover.
i plan to add another picture and some details. but, the picture posted. yay. :mrgreen:
I really love that yarn temp! Can't wait to see the finished product!
1 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

My project, expanded. :)

By the time i finished the first half, my starting errors bugged me.
i decided to use that piece to make a small pillow for my daughter - a practice piece.

i started the sweater vest over, and i’m happy with it so far.

The more i do, the more i remember, AND, the more grateful i am to my patient teacher for helping me learn to correct errors,
AND her emphasis to not let errors stay in the work. That it’s tempting, they seem so small, and it’s such a nuisance to backtrack!
But, leaving them in just brings regrets. That don’t go away. So. Sigh. Start over. :wave:

My daughter is happy with her unexpected pillow! It should do fine.
The yarn is machine washable, i used a pillow insert that has a zippered cover, so, it should be easy to keep clean.

Errors:
in the new vest, i nervously attempted to correct an errant purl stitch that was 7 rows down!
i did it by memory. :shock:
i had a crochet hook, and i did it. i went after it, corrected it, and, voila’, the correction is not visible.

my heart was pounding. but i did it. :lol: .. thank you, dear friend Annette ..
1 x

UNKNOWN