Travel. Dare to imagine?!

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Travel. Dare to imagine?!

Post by temporal1 »

Legal travel. Domestic or international. Anyone dare to imagine?! :shock:

“Canada and U.S. Land Border Closure Extended for Non-essential Travel Another Month”
Currently, anyone who does cross into Canada by land is required to show proof of a negative COVID-19 test.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel ... e-extended

It’s been nearly 2 years, i have a domestic flight planned. :shock: :D :?

i suppose sharing dates+details on a public forum is not advised.
:arrow: but i am interested in others’ general plans to travel - or not.

i have respected all pandemic requirements, including having the vaccine, second dose was March 26. so, a few weeks out.

i’m (i think understandably) nervous. :?
i wish i weren’t.

i’m nervous my flight might be cancelled.
i’m nervous i might pick up or carry the virus.
i’m nervous about the return flight.

the 11 year old i last saw is now 13. we keep in close touch. it’s not the same as real life.
every year i’ve met a new person in my grdaughter’s body. two years! emotional for me.

:arrow: Your plans? Hopes? .. For work? Family? Other?

:arrow: Did you travel in 2020? How did it go? (Joy traveled to S Africa and returned!) :D
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
KrisKramer
Affiliation: Raised Conserv. Menn

Re: Travel. Dare to imagine?!

Post by KrisKramer »

I have been outside the state I live in 0 times in the past 20 years lol
3 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

KrisKramer wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:55 pm I have been outside the state I live in 0 times in the past 20 years lol
:lol:
this forum has some serious travelers. i’ve wondered how life’s been treating them.

my travel is to see family. i drove to Michigan last October! lovely trip, mostly thru NE Indiana.
i now have a son and new daughter in law only 5 hours’ drive away!

after many years, this is huge for me.
1 x

UNKNOWN
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

We are planning to fly from Portland out to PA for a family reunion this July in the Belleville area. Everyone in the family except for the 14 year old youngest daughter has already been vaccinated with the 2-dose Pfizer vaccine so we aren't particularly worried about it. If by chance we can get 15 year olds vaccinated before then we will. She turns 15 next month.

My wife needs to fly down to Chile to look in on her elderly parents but right how Chile is under extreme quarantine. All international arrivals get mandatory 7-day quarantine at travel hotels near the airport without exceptions. So she is delaying that trip until she can fly down and not spend half her time there in quarantine.

The last trip we did was last August when I did a college road trip down to California with my daughter. We drove down and visited colleges in both the Bay Area and Southern California area. She decided to stay here in the Pacific Northwest for college so it was a fruitless trip but we had a good time, except for dodging the wildfire smoke.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I stopped travelling to help “flatten the curve” back in March, back when I believed in the coronahoax. I resumed in June.

Travelling is generally a giant pain now - expect higher than normal prices, lots of food places in airports are closed, staffing levels reduced so the workers are overworked and stressed. Same goes for the airline workers.

Depending on the workers on your flight, you might get left alone, or you might have a mask Nazi busy making frequent announcements over the intercom about keeping the mask over your nose and how important it is to keep your mask on when eating and drinking. Yeah, I’m not kidding.

The travel industry has lost a lot of money. Prices are higher and service worse. Rental car fleets are older now and there are a lot fewer cars to choose from. The hours are often reduced - sometimes they close before the evening flights get in. At my local airport, most the staff I’d enjoyed getting to know over the last two decades have lost their jobs.

Planes are very full - expect a full flight. You will be subjected to propaganda telling you there is zero chance of getting Covid on airplane despite being cramped in a middle seat between two people.

Yet we’re supposed to socially distance at church and not sing.
0 x
Franklin
Affiliation: Old Testament

Post by Franklin »

Americans can cross the Mexican land border in both directions without any covid nonsense.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

temporal1 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:09 pm this forum has some serious travelers. i’ve wondered how life’s been treating them.
I'm a traveler, but rarely serious, as y'all know. :P

In the last 12 months, I've traveled about half as frequently as in 2019. Destinations have changed from 2/3 international and 1/3 domestic, to 100% domestic. My passport is getting restless.

I did enjoy Delta's empty middle seat policy (not because I feared other passengers, but because the extra room was nice) which ends this month.
temporal1 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:44 pm i’m nervous my flight might be cancelled.
There really is nothing to worry about. Cancellations are only slightly more common than in the past; schedule changes are more frequent, but they should email you if that happens, and it's best to check the itinerary on the airline web site a few days before travel. You (and everyone else) will have to wear a mask from the time you enter the airport to the time you walk out the exit at your destination, and you should lower expectations about service and amenities, but smile (even if nobody can see it) and travel with confidence. Take your Ephesians 6 armor along, just don't tell TSA.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:01 am
temporal1 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:09 pm this forum has some serious travelers. i’ve wondered how life’s been treating them.
I'm a traveler, but rarely serious, as y'all know. :P

In the last 12 months, I've traveled about half as frequently as in 2019. Destinations have changed from 2/3 international and 1/3 domestic, to 100% domestic. My passport is getting restless.

I did enjoy Delta's empty middle seat policy (not because I feared other passengers, but because the extra room was nice) which ends this month.
temporal1 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:44 pm i’m nervous my flight might be cancelled.
There really is nothing to worry about. Cancellations are only slightly more common than in the past; schedule changes are more frequent, but they should email you if that happens, and it's best to check the itinerary on the airline web site a few days before travel. You (and everyone else) will have to wear a mask from the time you enter the airport to the time you walk out the exit at your destination, and you should lower expectations about service and amenities, but smile (even if nobody can see it) and travel with confidence. Take your Ephesians 6 armor along, just don't tell TSA.

ok. thank you.
when i was choosing my flight with AA, i was vaguely aware of some Delta cancellations .. ?? and politics.
i did not try to figure it out. things will be different when i travel .. no sense in getting bogged down with yesterday’s problems.

i travel with ice packs for insulin, so i try for the shortest travel time. i found a great flight, shortest possible flight time, ideal departure+arrival times. short connection time. it was as good or better than any i’ve had. i hope it goes without delay. the price was average for previous flights.
0 x

UNKNOWN
violet
Affiliation:

Post by violet »

Good luck Temp!

I hope you have a fabulous trip!

:hug:
2 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

KrisKramer wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:55 pm I have been outside the state I live in 0 times in the past 20 years lol
I'm about the same. I haven't been west of Pittsburg.... ever.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!