Responsible parenting, responsible adults.

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Responsible parenting, responsible adults.

Post by temporal1 »

This thread is to share ideas about what responsible parents and adults can do to guide children, teens and young adults in this hyper-hyper world. Esp regarding neutralizing damage from hyper litigious, hyper sexualized, hyper violent, hyper political, hyper divisive aspects.

For many, choosing home school, private schools, faith based schools, are essential.
Not all have those options, not all want to avoid public schools.

This thread can include any/all school choices.
The emphasis is not on school choice - but the everyday choices+interactions that add up and mean so much over time.
The “small things.”

All parents “home school,” whether they realize it or not.
All parents have God-designed influence in their children’s lives. (Seek to use it for good!)

What are you getting right?
What do you admire in others?
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Re: Responsible parenting, responsible adults.

Post by temporal1 »

Nickel Mines.
No doubt this tragedy deeply affected untold numbers of people.

When i witnessed the community leaders/elders state they would not allow media/political involvement, i praised God for their wisdom. i prayed others would take their choice to heart. i prayed .. i’m sorry, i had no idea at the time i was praying for the impossible .. i prayed for an Amish president. i did. i thought, “this is it.” this is the wisdom needed.

i admire responsible parents and adults who protect their precious children from media circus and public displays.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Robert sometimes mentions he is interested in local decisions. (i’m not sure, i think he home schools.)
Here are Michigan parents addressing their local public schools regarding abortion, and politics.

“Petitions seek to ban BLM, abortion talk at Hudsonville HS”
https://www.woodtv.com/news/ottawa-coun ... nville-hs/
HUDSONVILLE, Mich. (WOOD) —
A pair of online petitions circulating in Hudsonville raised tensions at a school board meeting on Thursday night.

One petition is asking that Black Lives Matter movement content be removed from schools while the other is calling for the removal of a teacher who some say promoted abortion. .. ..
personally, i RARELY sign a petition. i’m NOT soliciting signatures.
(these petitions are for LOCAL taxpayers and parents of enrolled students.)

but, yes, everyone who pays local taxes has a vested interest, parents need not be alone.
“No social or political agenda should be pushed on any kid in a public school system,”
said one person who identified herself as a former employee of the district.

“Teachers should teach facts and reserve their beliefs outside the Hudsonville High School walls.
When I think of teachers pushing their views on these vulnerable students, I wonder what happened to teachers being professionals.”
It is foolish for parents and responsible adults to presume school boards and others in decision making roles can “read minds.” Too many trusted too much for ‘way too long. Voices are necessary.

i’m encouraged when parents step up in attempt to establish accountability for public schools, or any school, to focus on the educational basics students will need in their lives going forward. it’s hard to impossible to catch up on the basics “later.”

the world’s distractions can be fun and tempting, but, they don’t belong in taxpayer funded public schools.
that’s “everybody’s taxes,” not just one side or another. schools should emphasize neutrality, or end taxpayer funding.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

REGARDING INTERNET/BASIC PHONES:
temporal1 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:39 am
Josh wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:05 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:48 am Didn't catch this the first time. What is the thinking behind that? Never heard of that one before...
Groups that had not accepted the camera, the digital camera, or messaging photos to each other via phones.

Thanks, Josh. :D
i only read about it on MD. :)
i thought it was a great idea - and i still do.
i recommend it to parents whenever i get the opp. (empower parents!) :dance:

(i think) attaching phones ..
to full-on computers WITH cameras has been a major DISASTER for children+teens, the overall culture(s) everywhere.
PARENTS could play a major role in reversing the damage. no law needed. simply by demanding SEPARATION of phones from these other functions - for their dependent minors, including college students.

(i just read of a college in Wyoming that prohibits cellphones on campus.) GOOD IDEA. :wave:

basic phones are useful for emergencies AND many useful conveniences.
adding computers+cameras to phones has proven more disastrous than useful. :arrow: imho.
these added functions have caused documented accidents+deaths. as well as untold psych+social damage.

Parents: No fear. Go for it. :D
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

In North Carolina:

Parents need not be alone regarding gov schools.
Everyone who pays taxes has a vested interest in the DOE. No matter if neighbors, relatives, if they home school or private school.
Everyone’s children will eventually interact with public school graduates.

They will affect the world around them. Political activists in schools are “on it” and abusing their roles as teachers+admin to further their personal political convictions. This should be criminalized, NOT funded with taxpayer dollars.

Everyone should be paying attention. Parents are critical! They should not be alone.
0 x

UNKNOWN
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

temporal1 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:32 am
For many, choosing home school, private schools, faith based schools, are essential.
Our children have attended a private Mennonite school, public school, cyber and one daughter is in a private school for gifted children. I much prefer the public school over them all, for various reasons. And that's not to say there was something wrong with the other choices.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:19 am
temporal1 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:32 am
Our children have attended a private Mennonite school, public school, cyber and one daughter is in a private school for gifted children. I much prefer the public school over them all, for various reasons. And that's not to say there was something wrong with the other choices.
I wouldn't mind knowing why the public school worked for you.

We did public school and private school. Interestingly the conservative high school our children attended was the worst when it came to cliques, bullying, gossip, etc. And the lack of support from the administration in addressing those issues was disgusting. It seemed like appearance and good grades took top priority. One of the many egregious things that happened, was when the English teacher complained about one of her students publicly on Facebook. Many thought she should have gone to the parents, and not go on Facebook with her grievances.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Grace wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:42 am Interestingly the conservative high school our children attended was the worst when it came to cliques, bullying, gossip, etc.
That's likely the safest way of describing it. The parents economic/social status determined what rules applied to your child.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:52 am
Grace wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:42 am Interestingly the conservative high school our children attended was the worst when it came to cliques, bullying, gossip, etc.
That's likely the safest way of describing it. The parents economic/social status determined what rules applied to your child.
So true. Add to that dress and grades. The more conservative and the better the grades, seemed important as well.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

0 x

UNKNOWN