A year of living.

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: A year of living.

Post by temporal1 »

Betty:
.. Yet there are also blue skies, happy grandchildren, the odd and bittersweet freedom of making all of my own decisions, Christmas traditions, and glimpses of joy and laughter. In short, there is still life. ..

“the deafening silence after” is the hardest part.

in my experience, babies+children are the biggest help, without even knowing. they live in the moment, forcing everyone around them to do the same! “the best medicine.” so thankful you have that! let it be! let them keep you engaged and relevant.
by their very existence, they will, if you let them. they are 100% self-centered, and that is a good thing. immediacy. :D

a lot of life circles around the desire to simply remain relevant. i told my daughter, i do not want to be just a picture hanging on a wall, a distant memory (for my granddaughter). even with agonizing distance, i feel relevant to her. i make every effort to know her world, know who she’s talking about, what she’s working on. her happy times and sad times, too.

my extended visits have made that possible. i have to make those visits last all year.

after my grandfather died, when i was about 10, my large extended family started moving away. we would gather for annual family reunions, but, i noticed, with the distance, relationships weren’t as close. my now adult children do not know their cousins. i decided long ago, if my family moved away, i would fly or do what was required to maintain relationships. relationships take real time.

for children, they are fairly simple. either you’re there, or you’re not. their lives go on.
i want to be there for as long as God allows. i take nothing for granted. none of us chooses who will be next, or when. life doesn’t always follow the “order” we would prefer.

i don’t watch TV anymore. one early thing i noticed was - not having to share the remote. :lol: some things are almost comical.
it’s strange the minute changes and things you notice. every little thing.

an altogether different life.
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Betty,
If you see this, was Wayne successful in finding more family history he hoped for? Chesleys, Mi’kmaqs?

Recently, i found this website you might find interesting:

Nova Scotia Archives / Mi’kmaq
https://archives.novascotia.ca/

i ordered one of the recommended books:
Terrence M. Punch's book, Genealogical Research in Nova Scotia (revised edition, 1998)
and the Genealogist's Handbook for Atlantic Canada Research (revised edition, 1998).

i’m not expecting to find very much. if anything.

Mi’kmaq Nation Genealogy
https://www.tribalpages.com/tribe/brows ... kmaqnation
i “requested invitation” to the site. no word yet.

i found my family surname listed. that was a surprise. no idea if there are any connections.

Wayne knew much more about his Mi’kmaq family. i just recently found distant ancestors, i’m new to learning.
0 x

UNKNOWN
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Betty in Maine wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:06 pm
I was telling a dear friend that the days aren't so much black anymore as fading into gray, but it seems that Wayne is also fading with that, and I hate it. Sometimes strong memories, good and bad, do come out of nowhere in an ambush that brings along unbidden tears. Yet there are also blue skies, happy grandchildren, the odd and bittersweet freedom of making all of my own decisions, Christmas traditions, and glimpses of joy and laughter. In short, there is still life.
God works in mysterious ways. I spent this past weekend re-living some of the emotions I was faced with more than a year ago. My wife and I experienced every emotion known to man, plus a few we didn't know could exist!

You post reminded me that things do get better, but being "ambushed" is a good way of describing it.

A good cry often does us some good 8-)
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Betty in Maine
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Betty in Maine »

hi Steve,
I just attended a virtual GriefShare seminar this week about "Surviving the Holidays" and there was a lovely expression mentioned that is so fitting: having a "grief-burst." And yes, I fully agree that crying is essential to working through this and moving forward. It's very cleansing.

Thank you for your note, and blessings to you and yours,
Betty
1 x
Betty in Maine
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Betty in Maine »

On the Road and Finding Out .6

It's about a week away from 5 months after Wayne's passing. To put this in perspective, it was just over 5 months that we had together from his initial diagnosis to his death. What a short, strange trip that all was! Life literally on fast forward.

I know he's not coming back, but I still talk to him at times (and there is still no answer back). His most recently used theological and Anabaptist history books are set up in the bookcase closest to my desk, and I'm sure they will reside there for quite a while. Most of his clothing was donated long ago, having to take care of that before I moved to PA, but I was able to keep special shirts, jackets and some other things, wanting to make sure the children all got something of his.

The best things? God's unfailing love. Occasionally being thankful that Wayne didn't have an excruciatingly painful and protracted illness, though it was painful enough. Frannie next door. Grandchildren who freely give their hugs and snuggles. The beauty of the mountains - Wayne would have loved living here. My children here at Christmastime. Virtual GriefShare sessions and the lovely folks who participate.

The not so best things? Wayne isn't here. The pandemic-imposed isolation in a county continually surging with Covid (Would you just get your vaccines, people?). Loneliness. Not quite knowing who I am now. Doing the work of two people. Power failures. Icy driveways. The expected and unexpected struggles.

We had to cancel renting a cabin on Moosehead Lake last August, and I have rescheduled for a rental on the coast where the children will join me. I plan to take a few days either before or afterwards and camp at Rangeley, and hit our fishing spots. I bought a tent that connects to the raised hatch of my car, delighted to find that the car is long enough to sleep in. I can light the Coleman lanterns, will find a simple-to-use stove from Wayne's camping stock, and can clean lots of fish. (How's that for being positive?) I'll be good to go on what really is a pilgrimage of sorts, an honoring of Wayne and our life together.

There's other plans in the works, or at least in the thinking stage. To visit where my Mom and Dad's ashes were scattered. Flying out west to where my youngest lives. Wanting to volunteer somewhere when Covid is less prevalent. A new grandbaby arriving next month(!). Keeping a garden again.

Days are definitely clearer with much of that initial mental and emotional fog lifted. Of course, that makes vision sharper, and that can be a two-edged sword in seeing what one doesn't want to see. I am ever thankful that I didn't have to return to work, to any job through this, and I have the utmost regard, respect and heartbroken empathy for anyone who does. It is a bumpy road indeed.

Which brings me to my last thought. I found the mystery sender of this week's Amaryllis. There was a circular piece of cardboard cut to stabilize the plant inside the box it arrived in. It read: "It's been a bumpy ride. If your bulb has shifted, please reposition it upright."

I don't know what I liked the best - the gift of a flower, the gift of being thought of by someone, or the unintended validation that yes, it's been a bumpy ride. Though I expect it still will be so for a while yet, because that is the nature of grief, by God's grace I can reposition this bulb upright.
11 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

We visited Betty today at her home in Pennsylvania and got to relive some memories with Wayne.

I'm sure she would enjoy visiting with any of you who care to stop by for awhile.
4 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Ernie wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:48 pm We visited Betty today at her home in Pennsylvania and got to relive some memories with Wayne.
I'm sure she would enjoy visiting with any of you who care to stop by for awhile.
i don’t suppose you invited her/them to stop by MN. :)
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Re: (Not quite) A year of living.

Post by temporal1 »

Betty in Maine wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:11 am Good morning All,
We were blessed with a lovely day on a mountainside for Wayne's service and burial.
Near the end of filling and covering his grave, it was very real that this was Easter: He is not here. Praise God for the hope we have in Him.

Blessings,
Betty
✝️
1 x

UNKNOWN