A year of living.

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Re: A year of living.

Post by GaryK »

mike wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:28 pm Dan, I’m sorry for your great loss. But especially our prayers will be with Betty and the family. Please convey to them all how much we at mennonet have valued his astounding example of the triumphant passing of a follower of Jesus.
Well said!
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

I am both rejoicing and burdened this morning. I only can hope that I can be half as brave as Wayne was at the end.

Does anyone know if his church is able to livestream the service? Or don't they do that?
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

MN is diminished in his passing. He has been a blessing to some of us for many, many years with his heart for the simplicity of Anabaptist Christianity. Vachel Lindsay's poem "General Booth Enters Into Heaven" seems fitting this morning... Another crown has been received and shall laid back down at the feet of the King in worship (unless you believe in soul sleep, lol)!
1 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

He is greatly missed. I have learned a lot from him. He was a great advocate for King Jesus. My heart is with his family.
1 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

I am just now getting this news. I do offer my prayers and thoughts for Wayne's family. (I only ever met him, and Franzi, and only once, here in Berlin.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Wayne in Maine wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:22 am May 4, 2021
...But at least this gives me more time to devote to “Kingdom work” now instead of computer work, like studying the intellectual depth of the earliest Anabaptists, or gathering materials and suggestions for Ernie’s study center at State College or finishing some long neglected essays on Anabaptism and Christocentrism and preparing for a visit to the annual Whitsun conference at Dan Z’s.
Wayne's passing is very sad for me... I didn't see the memo until just now. I've enjoyed more conversations with Wayne the last few months than all the 15 years previous to this. There were a number of things we were hoping to partner together on this coming fall and winter as God gave him strength.

This summer Wayne was telling me that he wants to do a better job on a topic he spoke on a few years ago at a Seeker's Gathering. A few years ago he had asked me not to make his message publicly available as he didn't want to draw attention to himself but to God and wasn't sure he had done this well enough. So I told him that once he got his notes together, I would provide him an audience with which to share his message. I also asked him whether I could make his testimony publicly available should he not be able to give it another shot. He consented. So here it is if you want to listen to it in memory of Wayne.

Why I Follow Jesus in the Manner of the Anabaptists

In the months since Wayne's diagnosis, he has testified often to the goodness of God. He likely gave more glory to God in these testimonies than he could have ever done in a single message. May many people follow Wayne as he followed Jesus!
8 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

We too are praying for Betty and the rest of the family. I only met Wayne and Betty in person once. We had dinner together. But I have had many good on line discussions with him both here and elsewhere. He taught me much. I was really hoping our paths would cross again here but it was not to be. Someday I hope to sit at another great supper with the likes of him and Lester and partake in food and fellowship that will make his beloved lobster seem like mere bologna in comparison.
4 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

I am so sorry to hear this. I will be praying for Betty and the family. I have very much appreciated my phone calls with Wayne, I have always respected his example as a Christian.
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Does anyone know of any arrangements made at this time?
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

Wayne's family and church community welcome you to join us for the celebration of life, and burial of brother Wayne Chesley at 11 AM on Saturday, September 18, 2021, at Singing Creek Community in Muncy Valley PA.

The service will also be live-streamed. Directions and more information can be found here.

We'll follow up the service with a "Mennomeet" in Wayne's honor. We hope many of you can make it.
2 x