Paintings & Pictures - Art you like

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Paintings & Pictures - Art you like

Post by RZehr »

I’m looking for a suggestion of a great picture/painting to hang in a certain place.
To get an idea of what I like, here are two that we have:
Eric Enstroms, “Grace” photo: https://society6.com/product/eric-enstr ... lsrc=aw.ds
The Encounter painting by Daniel Cariola, https://magdala-gift-shop.myshopify.com ... as-replica

And we don’t have these next two, but I like them. Might buy one of these:
“The Angelus”, by Jean Francois- Millet https://www.wayfair.com/Buyenlarge--The ... SmEALw_wcB
And I like “ The Mennonite Preacher Anslo and his Wife”, by Rembrandt https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi ... roject.jpg

What pictures do you like?
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Paintings & Pictures - Art you like

Post by Ken »

My grandmother and parents actually have ALL of those. I remember them all from childhood. My grandmother also had various framed Currier and Ives prints. They aren't paintings, but prints. But along the same themes...for example

Our tastes don't lean towards the old masters that you are looking at. So I don't really have any recommendations in that direction other than Currier and Ives which I like. My wife and I are more partial to Latin American art, she being from Latin America. Like for example, this famous Diego Rivera painting of a Mexican flower seller

We have a lot of prints from Chile and dare not buy more because we are going to inherit a lot of art from my wife's parents who have collected a lot over the years. But we have stuff like this on our walls from Valpariso Chile where my wife spent her childhood

We also have some art from Alaska from the 10 years we spent working up there. Such as this Barbara Lavalle

And Rie Munoz (both of whom we met and knew from living in Juneau)

My wife picks most of the art and her tastes over-rule mine. Although I like what she picks so we don't have conflicts. She is just more willing to spend money on art than I am.
Last edited by Ken on Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote:My grandmother and parents actually have ALL of those.
:shock: I suppose they have the Dirk Willem’s picture too? https://www.scrollpublishing.com/store/ ... print.html
Ken wrote: My wife picks most of the art and her tastes over-rule mine. Although I like what she picks so we don't have conflicts.
My wife picks most of our too. But she very reluctantly let me hang “Grace” in our dining room. We call it “Marvin” because he looks exactly like Marvin S., a old man that went to our church when we were young.
Most of my art gets shuffled off, and relegated to non-prominent locations. But Marvin didn’t. :up: :lol:
Last edited by RZehr on Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote:
Ken wrote:My grandmother and parents actually have ALL of those.
:shock:
Actually, not the second one. But the other three. They are all pretty famous Christian farmhouse paintings. Especially the first and third.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Triumph of the Cross, Tommaso Laureti, 1585.

Sacrifice of Isaac, Caravaggio, 1603.

1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Speaking of art, growing up about 25-30 years ago, we and other families had this picture - “Guardian Angel” in our house. https://fineartamerica.com/featured/gua ... dberg.html
Then there came to be some sort of rumors that it had a bunch of hidden satanic/devilish/witchcraftian meanings and symbolism in it. I think I remember something about the girls basket, and something about the broken boards, and something about a rat. I never could see anything hidden in the picture though I stared hard at it looking for them. I think people may have disposed of their pictures because of these stories.

Does anyone else remember hearing the stuff about this picture? Or was it just an early 1990’s west coast Mennonite thing?

Seems like there may have been another similar and popular picture, that had the same sort of accusations leveled against it by the same people, but I can’t remember what that picture was.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Maybe not your cup of tea, but this is from a semi famous relative of mine in landscape painting.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

I enjoy my sister's painting, just looking at it since I can't afford it.

Look her up on facebook. Coleen Barnhart.
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

I like her barns. Here is a new thread to list Mennonite artists. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3524&p=114609#p114609
Not saying she is in the wrong thread, she’s not. You just gave me the idea to create this other thread.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

i enjoy art. lots of art, including a lot of contemporary art. lots. :)
my brother recently told me when we were young, he thought i would be an artist. :)
i did not know. life interfered. our father was very ill one year. i came to a fork in the road and chose work. but i never lost appreciation. :)

my walls are mostly bare.
i discovered long ago, i preferred plain walls. hanging pictures, to me, seemed to “confine thought/imagination.” i’ve had a few exceptions. not rigid about it. :)

i guess i like a blank canvas. i like empty rooms, too. :mrgreen:

one print i wanted (never got) for my bedroom wall was:

Dan Gerhartz / Tears in a bottle

at the time, i was new and joyful in faith, while also experiencing hardships with family, our home flooded, etc. life can be just like that.

Psalm 56:8
https://biblehub.com/psalms/56-8.htm
Be Merciful to Me, O God

7In spite of such sin, will they escape?
In Your anger, O God, cast down the nations.

8You have taken account of my wanderings.
Put my tears in Your bottle— are they not in Your book?

9Then my enemies will retreat on the day I cry for help.
By this I will know that God is on my side.…
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN