Recreational pursuits enjoyed by Anabaptists?

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Recreational pursuits enjoyed by Anabaptists?

Post by Ken »

Valerie wrote:I think those may ne motorized skateboards? Electric? I've only seen those in California so far. Our Amish in Holmes county Ohio are really into electric bikes these days. There's electric bike shops all over Holmes county owned by Amish. I'm glad for them in that it's so hilly there that it's enabled them to not only enjoy riding their bikes but they probably don't have to hire drivers near as much to go to work and things like that. They don't have to take a horse and buggy to work and they don't have to hire a driver. Their electric bikes and the range that they have as well as speed that they go it's been a nice option for them I believe
They aren't motorized. It is something called a RipStick:

They were really popular 10 years ago. You make them go by slaloming side to side. They are literally impossible for anyone over the age of about 20 to ride.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Valerie wrote:
RZehr wrote:Looks Mennonite to me.
Looks like Horse & Buggy Mennonite, as it looks like the dress has print- Amish would only wear solids.
I think that ones dress collar and covering looks Mennonite not Amish.
Ken wrote:How about this girl. Is she Amish?

I think she looks Amish.
0 x
Karstan78
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Karstan78 »

Fishing and depending on the church soccer.
0 x
Haystack
Affiliation: Christian

Post by Haystack »

steve-in-kville wrote:My wife and I talked about doing an Amtrak across the country for our 25th. Not sure how feasible that will be until then.
It's quite the experience, just make sure you plan for (un)expected delays. I was 2 days late going to PA and Amtrak added some extra destinations along the way :lol:

Also keep your phone charged, the Amish need to call their taxis when the trains are delayed.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Haystack wrote:
steve-in-kville wrote:My wife and I talked about doing an Amtrak across the country for our 25th. Not sure how feasible that will be until then.
It's quite the experience, just make sure you plan for (un)expected delays. I was 2 days late going to PA and Amtrak added some extra destinations along the way :lol:

Also keep your phone charged, the Amish need to call their taxis when the trains are delayed.
What about a Trans-Canada train trip?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Ken wrote:
Haystack wrote:

What about a Trans-Canada train trip?
This will be next year ('22). I'd really like to go to New Orleans, or at least stop in that area for a few days. I haven't been west of Pittsburg, BTW, so its kind of a big deal. Also thought of the New England states as well.

Wouldn't be against Canada, either.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote:
This will be next year ('22). I'd really like to go to New Orleans, or at least stop in that area for a few days. I haven't been west of Pittsburg, BTW, so its kind of a big deal. Also thought of the New England states as well.

Wouldn't be against Canada, either.
There is a trip called the Crescent Train that would take you to New Orleans.

I think a train trip would be a nice adventure. Another train trip I think would be lovely is the Rails to the Grand Canyon. Likewise promising is the Rockies to the Red Rocks train trip.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

steve-in-kville wrote:This will be next year ('22).
:shock: What time zone are you posting from? It's still '20 here, which means next year is '21.
I'd really like to go to New Orleans, or at least stop in that area for a few days. I haven't been west of Pittsburg, BTW, so its kind of a big deal.
Not sure where Pittsburg, BTW is located, but there are no Amtrak trains west of Pittsburg, OR.
Also thought of the New England states as well.
You're more than 50 years too late for that train, but the Lake Shore Limited's Boston section is the present day equivalent.

Sorry, I'm in one of those moods this morning.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

Bootstrap wrote:
Even in central North Carolina I can find hundreds of miles of trails without going far - local trails around lakes and through forests and such. If I am willing to go an hour or three out I get to the Joyce Kilmer Forest and the Appalachian Trail.

American's national parks and state parks and trails are truly a treasure.
What is the AT like near you? I'm thinking of walking a short way on it in Tennessee, on Roan Mountain. That stretch looks beautiful.
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

ohio jones wrote:
Sorry, I'm in one of those moods this morning.
You're in good company. I've been in a rare mood for weeks now. It might be the new me :mrgreen:
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!