Physical fitness.

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Physical fitness.

Post by temporal1 »

Yesterday .. :)
i added a mile to my walk. 4.13 miles. :)
temps were just-at freezing, but walking was ok. i.e., not slippery.
it began in haze/fog, as expected, but added mist, freezing rain, and, snow by the end.
i was dressed for it, so, not bad. i wished for a hat with a bill. i removed my glasses.

very pretty walk. i was ready to stop by end! :P

i’m walking EVERY OTHER DAY, which is working well in all ways but one:
i want to eat the same on my “off” days, which amounts to too many calories total.
:?

not sure how to deal with this.
i decided i would try to walk 5 miles every other day! :shock:
4.13 miles yesterday was all i could manage.
maybe if i continue for a month or 2 i’ll be ready to go for 5.

i spotted a video series, 24 segments, free on Amazon Prime through Jan 31.
i began viewing:

THE GREAT COURSES
“Changing Body Composition through Diet and Exercise”
MICHAEL ORMSBEE, PH.D.
https://www.thegreatcoursesplus.com/cha ... d-exercise
From the macro to the molecular, this solid, science-based information will help you understand your own body better than you ever have. A leading expert in the field presents the latest scientific research in diet and nutrition.

It’s not exciting. :mrgreen:

i’m going to try to get through it. it might help me understand the nutritionist i started working with (diabetes) easier+faster. i’ll ask her about it. my health insurance covers a few meetings with her annually. i need to find out more about what’s covered.

“not exciting.” maybe that’s it. :?
have electronics/the internet caused addiction to excitement/entertainment?? hmm.
teachers have complained about it for decades. they find students expect to be entertained.
hmm.

well. if so, this course may be a counter-“exercise”. :P
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

I had to look up this word "rucking". I sort of figured that's what it was, but didn't know the term. When my wife & I were scheduled to take the missionary 'jungle camp', we bought a back pack and started walking at the local HS track, carrying weight in the pack. (The session we were scheduled for ended up being cancelled, and we were sent to a "blacktop jungle" for training instead of south Texas & Old Mexico. Detroit Michigan. Now that was an experience for an Oklahoma country boy.)
Anyway, now all these years later I still use that backpack when traveling. We had learned that especially with international travel, it's a good idea to have an extra change of clothes for the whole family in your 'carry on'. That was my chore, my backpack. Hand-free meant that I could also carry two other articles of luggage. But that's all unrelated to what I was going to say - why I chimed in here. So here it is. The Indians didn't use shoulder straps at all when we first went there. Forehead tump lines. All of the weight was carried via a strap across the forehead, going to a basket or in the case of carrying a game animal, a sort of backpack frame made right on the spot, with a sapling bent into an inverted 'U" and then strung with bark webbing. Later they did start putting shoulder straps on their baskets as well, but just to give their neck muscles a temporary break from time to time. And I've seen them carry a tremendous amount of weight in this way, too. [When I was first there I saw a group of three women coming back from a wild pig hunt, each with a pig on their back, and at least one of them carrying an infant in her 'doba' as well (a wide band made of bark sewn into a circle, worn across the shoulder, with the baby sitting in the other side, under her other arm). If I remember correctly, one of the women was carrying two pigs (well, actually peccaries).]
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

temporal1 wrote:i’m walking EVERY OTHER DAY, which is working well in all ways but one:
i want to eat the same on my “off” days, which amounts to too many calories total.

2.5 miles every day? :idea:

Try listening to podcasts during the walk, if you're into multitasking.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Neto wrote:I had to look up this word "rucking". I sort of figured that's what it was, but didn't know the term.
"Ruck marching" I think is the official term for it. From my research, its more efficient of a workout than running/jogging. The toll it takes on the body is a small fraction of what running does, yet still burns a fair amount of calories compared to running, maybe like 80% or something like that.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

steve-in-kville wrote:
Neto wrote:I had to look up this word "rucking". I sort of figured that's what it was, but didn't know the term.
"Ruck marching" I think is the official term for it. From my research, its more efficient of a workout than running/jogging. The toll it takes on the body is a small fraction of what running does, yet still burns a fair amount of calories compared to running, maybe like 80% or something like that.
Being a person who is severely over-height, I do not need to burn calories. (I also eat very little in the way of desserts - can only tolerate a bit of sweets, or I get sick.) We were doing it to develop the endurance we would have needed to make it through the 'jungle camp' training. But the physical challenge I faced on long hikes through the jungle was my knees. Walking long distances through flooded trails and constantly lifting your feet over fallen logs has away of stressing knees, at least for me.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote:
temporal1 wrote:i’m walking EVERY OTHER DAY, which is working well in all ways but one:
:arrow: i want to eat the same on my “off” days, which amounts to too many calories total.

2.5 miles every day? :idea:
Try listening to podcasts during the walk, if you're into multitasking.

i’ve been mulling this over.
walking everyday is what i did for most of 2020.
i began slowly, not going far, limping, because of tendonitis pain.

over months, i managed to greatly lessen the pain, but, it continued.
i was pretty sure it would be permanent. “learn to live with it.”
i used a heel lift and a light ankle wrap. they helped, not a cure.

in October, i got a new pair of advertised “orthopedic” hiking boots. i never used ortho shoes at all. i had low expectations. within a month, i realized i was close to pain-free! total surprise.

i continued to baby that ankle.
now, i have confidence, i don’t constantly think of it. but, as i walk, i’m SO HAPPY to be able to walk normally. i wear the boots everywhere, errands, dr visits, etc. it’s no big deal. i’m afraid of reinjury. i have no idea how i hurt my ankle to begin. so, not sure what to avoid.

now, i ENJOY pushing both distance and speed. nothing major.
it’s just natural, if no pain, to walk faster (than limping). :)
and, with no pain, walking further becomes possible, too.

here i am, now walking 4+ miles, and i like it. every other day. i’m thinking of 5 miles.
everyday just feels like too much. physically, and, mentally.
having the break makes “everything” feel ready to take that longer, harder walk.

i’m an amateur on everything, so, i’m not sure if this is better or not.

Calories. Experiment: 48 hour days?? :?
i’m not as hungry on the walking days.
i have a hard time keeping calories down when not walking. this is annoying. ugh.

today .. the experiment begins.
i’m going to try “banking” unused calories from walking days, then using some of them the next day. starting over in 48 hours.

i often have 300-500 or more calories left from walking days.
but then, like today, i wake up early, and hungry. :-|

i had 900 calories left from yesterday. :shock:
that’s unusually high. not planned. not good.

so. as i’m writing this, i’m enjoying a 300 calorie, low carb, hi protein early breakfast.
i “banked” the 900 calories to ADD to today’s total.
i hope not to use more than one third to one half. i think i can do it. i hope.
(i don’t usually have 900 calories left over.) i’m not sure how it happened. it’s not a goal.

my blood sugar was 101, very good. so, balanced eating is ok. (if it were high, i would stick with hi protein, very lo or no carbs food until it went down.) i’ve gotten much better at this. :)

the goal is to have good numbers+stable blood sugar.
getting overly hungry is very bad. too full is not helpful. sugar spikes are bad.

i hope 48 hour days works. :D
Last edited by temporal1 on Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

:idea: .. i like ..
Page 258 / http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... 68#p111368
Grace wrote:Image
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Calories. Experiment: 48 hour days?? :?
i’m not as hungry on the walking days.
i have a hard time keeping calories down when not walking. this is annoying. ugh.

today .. the experiment begins.
i’m going to try “banking” unused calories from walking days, then using some of them the next day. starting over in 48 hours.

Completed my first 48 hour day. :dance:
i’m encouraged. this MIGHT actually work.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

I put my generic bowflex machine back together in the basement this past week. I get some good exercise watching my kids go down and use it. I have to turn in my chair when they go down and back up through the basement door. That burns a few calories. 8-)

Still doing remodeling and I figure that is my exercise.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote:I put my generic bowflex machine back together in the basement this past week. I get some good exercise watching my kids go down and use it. I have to turn in my chair when they go down and back up through the basement door. That burns a few calories. 8-)

Still doing remodeling and I figure that is my exercise.

Yes. Chasing around after a busy family can burn a lot of calories/carbs. :D
When i’m in seattle, my blood sugar is very good, without extra effort. Stairs! Hills! Kitchen duties!

The pandemic put a halt on that. Now i have to make a concerted effort. :roll:
i grieve being so isolated. no kidding, it’s agony. i don’t tell them how hard it is.
they are under stress, too. in different ways.

i have motivation thinking, if i invest now, my next visits will be even better. :D

- - - - - - -

i’m very hopeful about the 48 hour day experiment. :dance:
it’s early.
but “i feel like” this may “crack the code” on what i need to do to balance blood sugar, calories, avoid being overly hungry, add significant exercise, get quality rest. a juggling act.

Friday, after 3 months, i have a phone appt with a nutritionist. i’m looking forward to talking with her about it. in the last year, i’ve had a few appts with her about diabetes nutrition. she’s helped me tweak my habits with several small changes. they’ve helped. small but deliberate adjustments.

the one i had the hardest time with was when she implored me to eat more calories. :shock:
that was very hard for me to accept.

i had been at the same weight for months, even tho i was watching intake, blood sugar, walking, “everything.” she kept telling me i wasn’t eating enough. finally, she implored me to try it. add a couple hundred calories or so daily. reluctantly, i did. she was right. i lost 10 within a couple of months. stable blood sugar.

i’m at another plateau. plateaus can last for years. :-|
now pain-free, i’ve changed walking to faster+increased distance - EVERY OTHER DAY, not daily.
i like everything about this routine, EXCEPT, not handling food intake well on the “off” days.

i’m hoping the 48 hour experiment will take care of it. math-wise, why not? :)
track 48 hours, not 24. it might work.
0 x

UNKNOWN