Physical fitness.

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Physical fitness.

Post by steve-in-kville »

temporal1 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:45 pm
i’ve evidently lost my endurance for distance, it’s hurt me in the last year+.

Take it easy at first. Over the winter, I'd wake up early and spend 20 minutes going up and down out staircase with 20# on. At about the 18-minute mark, I was ready to pass out. Wife didn't know I was doing it (it was before 4am) and she scolded me. She didn't want to wake up to find me in a crumpled mess at the bottom of the steps.

I used to commute to work by bicycle for seven years. Wife asked me stop as I really didn't need to any more. We were (and still sorta are) a one-car family and she needed the battle wagon during the day, hence the reason I rode. I miss it and may start it up again.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

Temp- there are online or you can buy DVD's to walk at home. You can then pace yourself as to how difficult a level you do- start with walking- some have weights but can start with 1# and work up. The walk away the pound series are easy- no involved steps, can do it in any weather- she has 1, 2, 3 and even 4 mile workouts and low impact. We do 30 minutes a day and sometimes more 6 days a week. Did 7 days til when my hubby when going to PT after his accident last year PT told him you don't need to do exercises everyday- at least a day of rest is good. So I took that advice too.

We went to the indoor exercise as we can do it in any weather- not to worry about too cold, too hot/humid, foggy and too dark. Also whenever we want. Works well and easy to do.

Just a thought.
1 x
steve-in-kville

There is always Richard Simmons' Dancing to the oldies!
0 x

temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

steve-in-kville wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:21 pm There is always Richard Simmons' Dancing to the oldies!
ok. i know i can’t deal with that! :lol:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

steve-in-kville wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:40 pm
temporal1 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:45 pm i’ve evidently lost my endurance for distance, it’s hurt me in the last year+.
Take it easy at first. :wave:

Over the winter, I'd wake up early and spend 20 minutes going up and down out staircase with 20# on.
At about the 18-minute mark, I was ready to pass out. Wife didn't know I was doing it (it was before 4am) and she scolded me.
She didn't want to wake up to find me in a crumpled mess at the bottom of the steps. :-|

I used to commute to work by bicycle for seven years.
Wife asked me stop as I really didn't need to any more. We were (and still sorta are) a one-car family and she needed the battle wagon during the day, hence the reason I rode. I miss it and may start it up again.
i might prefer you kill yourself on the stairs than be on a bike. i love bikes! cars+bikes .. scary. https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cf ... e-accident
QuietlyListening wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:50 pm Temp- there are online or you can buy DVD's to walk at home. You can then pace yourself as to how difficult a level you do- start with walking- some have weights but can start with 1# and work up.

The walk away the pound series are easy- no involved steps, can do it in any weather- she has 1, 2, 3 and even 4 mile workouts and low impact. We do 30 minutes a day and sometimes more 6 days a week. Did 7 days til when my hubby when going to PT after his accident last year PT told him you don't need to do exercises everyday- at least a day of rest is good. So I took that advice too.

We went to the indoor exercise as we can do it in any weather- not to worry about too cold, too hot/humid, foggy and too dark. Also whenever we want. Works well and easy to do.

Just a thought.
Thanks. It’s advised to be careful when adding weights. Even adding light weights can impact joints in unexpected/unwanted ways. i’ve experienced a little of it with adding 1# wrist weights to walking. It’s wise to be alert+cautious, at any age!
Young ATHLETES often hurt themselves. Thus: Sports Medicine is a thing.

So, we older ones should not expect to be exempt. Even 10-15 years ago, when visiting family, “running” like crazy to try to keep up with them, i told my daughter, i’m so grateful to be able to do it. Not all are. And it doesn’t last forever, for anyone.

Every visit, i witness my grdaughter become more+more able, myself a bit less able. That’s life on earth!
We rejoice in her changes. Try to ignore mine. :lol:

This change in endurance, tho. It seemed to change so rapidly. Then, one thing leads to another. Not in a good way. :shock:

i’m interested in the weighted vest idea. adding the weight to the core, versus adding weight to wrists.
i used to like carrying a backpack, esp to help posture. i’m thinking this might be somewhat like that, only more specific for the task?

i’ll try! i’ll probably try a half mile first.
maybe walk a half mile, add the vest, walk another. alternating might be good. i have a stopping place to make changes.
walking has always been a great overall warmup for me. easy. unlikely to hurt yourself walking. well. in the old days. :lol:
now, all bets are off.

right, Neto??!
0 x

UNKNOWN
steve-in-kville

temporal1 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:21 pm
steve-in-kville wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:21 pm There is always Richard Simmons' Dancing to the oldies!
I think my mom may had those tapes on VHS back in the day.
1 x

temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:45 am
temporal1 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:21 pm
I think my mom may had those tapes on VHS back in the day.
🐰 i think of D Mulvaney as Richard Simmons, Jr.
a knock-off. put him in a pair of gym shorts, ditto. same routine.
0 x

UNKNOWN
steve-in-kville

Anyone remember the Nordic Trak?

My mom had one of them, too :mrgreen:
0 x

temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:36 am Anyone remember the Nordic Trak?
My mom had one of them, too :mrgreen:
cross country skiing machine? yeah. we did both.
i’ve regretted giving our skis away when i moved. not buying new ones! snow shoes, maybe.
but, i managed to walk, like Neto, in almost all weather. ice-no.
some high winds-no. mostly afraid of being hit with flying something. like a tree. :lol:
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

temporal1 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:56 pm Lots of changes since starting this topic. :-|

Soloist wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:22 pm
temporal1 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:08 pm my son is getting kinda bossy with me. in a good way, probably.
he refused to let me buy a chain saw.

he’s pretty quiet. so, when he speaks up, it’s noticed.
Didn’t you say something about almost falling over when you stand up? I don’t think chainsaw good idea for you :laugh
i guess Soloist saw this meme. :lol:
It was supposed to be a joke.

i’m noticing, when i visit doctors (for any reason) i’m asked some form of, “Have you fallen recently?” “In the last 6mo-1year?”
It’s a trick question. Beware! :shock:
0 x

UNKNOWN