The Winter Greenhouse

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
violet
Affiliation:

The Winter Greenhouse

Post by violet »

This fall my family and I finished our greenhouse. We used old windows and framed the house around them. It is not heated.

I am wondering if you have any suggestions on what to grow through the winter and what your experiences are. If it helps, I am in growing zone 6, but could be a 5b perhaps if one gets technical.

thanks.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: The Winter Greenhouse

Post by temporal1 »

Is your greenhouse exposed to light on 4 sides, which sides?
Is wind a factor? Shade?

i would first look for plants that prefer cooler temps, like lettuce, peas, pansies. violets! :D
lettuce grows quickly, you might get an extra harvest or two per year.

incandescent light bulbs can prevent freezing when temps are frigid. high wattage may not be necessary.

pictures?? :)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
violet
Affiliation:

Post by violet »

I have no idea how to post pictures here ...sorry

but yes, it has windows on all four sides. and the top also lets light in.

we do typically have cold windy grey mountain weather though.

I am a bit concerned that I probably should have already had ready to go plants instead of thinking I am now just starting to try to get some going.....

but, our garden did really well this summer so I was working a lot on getting all of that put up.....
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Your greenhouse is a long term investment, i wouldn’t worry about any one season, there will likely be ups+downs as you experiment with what you want, and what you find possible.

look at this period as getting a head start for spring! :D
it’s only weeks away. :D

i would keep a thermometer in it, and check it often.
i do this for my attached garage, which is insulated with an insulated door. i’m thrilled with how temps are moderate, 12 months, even in extreme cold and heat. there is some shade from trees.

i use the garage for lots of things. when i had pets, they slept in the garage, the moderate temps put my mind at ease for them. i see the thermometer every time i enter.

the first thing i would be interested in over winter would be freezing temps, extremes.
in summer, the highest temps. based on that, i might temporarily supplement with ordinary incandescent light bulbs and/or a simple fan, to help moderate temps in extremes.

this will help you decide which plants, and when, to use.

do you have a hose/water source? to access through winter?
hopefully, ventilation for heat? it will get hot! :D

the whole thing is such a good idea. have fun with it! if one season is disappointing, no matter, the next one is on its way.

i’ve never had a greenhouse. but i have dreamed! :D
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Greenhouses are a great asset. Well done.

The one suggestion I would make is to find a way to ventilate it or your plantings will quite literally be baked, even on very cold days. Our son has a greenhouse that employs one of those automatic vents: it opens the vent when the temperature becomes too warm. Most of them cost less than $30. Just do a search for automatic vent for greenhouse. Perhaps replace a section of the roof with a plexi panel that functions as the vent? There are plenty of articles online for greenhouse climate control.

You may want to find a way to shade the plants on sunny days too. Glass can magnify UV rays depending on the the glass involved.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Somebody
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Somebody »

For warmth, some people take 5 gallon buckets or bigger barrels, painted black and filled with water. They absorb heat on sunny days and keep it a little warmer overnight.

If you have left over seeds from this year, try planting a variety of them and see what happens! Sounds like fun!

A fan blowing air will help to prevent frost on the plants.
0 x
violet
Affiliation:

Post by violet »

really good tips.

thank you! :D
0 x