Good things about: 2020

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Good things about: 2020

Post by temporal1 »

DrWojo wrote:A definite positive of 2020 is that God Sovereignly allowed our Supreme Court to once again return to a Conservative/Christian majority!

With this we pray for that to also be reflected in their rulings.
https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html
Chief Justice John Roberts will administer the judicial oath to Judge Amy Coney Barrett tomorrow at the US Supreme Court.

The private ceremony will take place in the East Conference Room, according to a news release from the Supreme Court.

"Upon administration of that oath, she will be able to begin to participate in the work of the Court,"
the release said.

A more formal investiture ceremony will take place at a later date.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

temporal1 wrote:Chief Justice John Roberts will administer the judicial oath to Judge Amy Coney Barrett tomorrow at the US Supreme Court.

The private ceremony will take place in the East Conference Room, according to a news release from the Supreme Court.

"Upon administration of that oath, she will be able to begin to participate in the work of the Court,"
the release said.

A more formal investiture ceremony will take place at a later date.
It seems it won't be Roberts administrating after all.
Barrett is expected to be sworn in by Justice Clarence Thomas at the White House on Monday night.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Trump was impeached.

Locally, sales at the farmers' market have more than doubled since last year.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

The speech given by SC Justice Amy Coney Barrett upon her induction last night. Simple, straightforward, scholarly and accurate definition of the Constitutional definition of the role of a Supreme Court Justice. Well done.
Barrett's mentor, the late Justice Antonin Scalia. Echoing her mentor, Barrett underscored the need for a separation of powers between the judicial and legislative branches.

"It is the job of a senator to pursue her policy preferences," Barrett said to an audience on the South Lawn of the White House. "In fact, it would be a dereliction of duty for her to put policy goals aside. By contrast, it is the job of a judge to resist her policy preferences. It would be a dereliction of duty for her to give into them. Federal judges don't stand for election. Thus, they have no basis for claiming that their preferences reflect those of the people."
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
DrWojo
Affiliation: Sylvian Christian Fe

Post by DrWojo »

JimFoxvog wrote:Trump was impeached.

The good news is actually that President Donald Trump was acquitted in 2020! It was all lies from the butthurt Dems. If God sees fit to allow him another 4 years you will probably see real corruption and impeachable offenses exposed that were committed by those same Dems. What’s that old saying about the pot calling the kettle black, or has that been declared Racist by the Fact checkers?
0 x
"Too often believers have trivialized goodness by concentrating on their various denominational brands of legalism, becoming a 'peculiar people' set at odd angles to the world rather than being an attractive light illuminating it." -Unknown
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

JimFoxvog wrote:Trump was impeached.

Peaches were probably in especially high demand.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

I wonder if we could learn to use "Good Things" threads in ways that focus on things everyone is likely to be able to accept as (1) true and (2) good.

It really trashes a "good things" thread if people use it to attack other people or what they believe in. It also really trashes a "good things" thread to use it to advance claims that you know people are likely to view as controversial political claims. Really, if the only topic we can discuss is what we dislike about "the other side", and we define "the other side" by modern American political factions, it makes it hard to discuss anything as Christians.

Let's see if we can actually use a "good things" thread to discuss good things and be grateful for them, things we can discuss without getting into American political factions? Things for which we are grateful, as human beings and as Christians?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

My entire life I have heard people decrying the decline in voter participation rates. I suspect that trend has been reversed.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

In 2020, I see that so many things continue to be good whatever is going on with politics or the economy. I went running in the woods on Saturday, the weather was gorgeous, the leaves were beautiful, people were out together smiling at each other.

I'm also really struck by the creative ways that charities are scrambling to continue to serve others despite all of the limitations and difficulties. I can peer into a couple of them, and I am really impressed by their creativity and dedication to serving.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Somebody
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Somebody »

Our son got married and they were able to have a very small, family only wedding in spite of the coronavirus situation. It was a lovely wedding and reception. And how nice to add a daughter in law to our family!

We had a beautiful fall, with wonderful colors of leaves. Its late October and we still have days of going outside without sweaters and pulling off shoes & socks in the afternoons.

We have nice friendly neighbors.

The birds are fun to watch at the feeders outside the kitchen windows. Cardinals, chickadees, woodpeckers, nuthatches.

Planting several kinds of tea for a new tea bed next year. Planting saffron to grow my own. Homemade noodles with saffron, chicken gravy with saffron, and stuffing with saffron - some of my favorite foods with a generous pinch( or two!) of saffron.
0 x